When to SORN a car please help!

jnielow

Reaction score
Dear All,

Hope peoples are well!

I have read articles/web sites etc re this but I am still alittle confused as to how it will apply to me as follows:

I am possible buying another car this weekend and will obviously be transfering the insurance over to the new car.I will then have 2 cars and will need to sell my old car asap.I know it will need to come off road onto driveway (it is taxed!). What happens if someone wants to test drive it over the next couple of weeks? Do I continue with existing coveron the old car, take out a new policy on the new car? but a short term cover policy?. I do not want to throw lots of cash away if you get my meaning! Have looked at SORN insurance but it only seems to cover theft & fire.

I hope I do not come across as stupid, but would welcome comments re a solution!

Many Thanks

Jason Nielow

Yeah you'd have to get another policy for your current car, and if you sell it within two weeks then you are entitled to a refund of your first payment, by law; it's called a cooling off period for a monthly payment plan.

However, you could see if it's cheaper overall for starting a new policy for the new car, and keeping your existing policy. Sometimes moving insurance policies from car to car can be more expensive than starting afresh, but then you'd definitely get have two policies running at the same time and no cooling off period to take advantage of.

How long is the tax on your current car?

Whatever your decision is, just make a big big push to sell your car. Don't just expect people will want it. Valet it, take some pro photos (and lots of them), detail everything in the advert so when a potential buyer comes to see it all they want to do is test drive it and double check your information that you've put in the advert. Get it on Gumtree, Pistonheads, ASN, Autotrader, local adverts, Preloved, hang a sign on it and park in various high traffic/footfall area (careful, though, as my mate has just been warned by the police for doing this with the cars he sells LOL), and last resort, eBay.

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

The tax runs out in dec, are you allowed to use your no claims bonus on two insurance policies? I may take a look at short term insurance policies for the old car!

Many Thanks

Jason

OTE=JudderMan;1962163]Yeah you'd have to get another policy for your current car, and if you sell it within two weeks then you are entitled to a refund of your first payment, by law; it's called a cooling off period for a monthly payment plan.

However, you could see if it's cheaper overall for starting a new policy for the new car, and keeping your existing policy. Sometimes moving insurance policies from car to car can be more expensive than starting afresh, but then you'd definitely get have two policies running at the same time and no cooling off period to take advantage of.

How long is the tax on your current car?

Whatever your decision is, just make a big big push to sell your car. Don't just expect people will want it. Valet it, take some pro photos (and lots of them), detail everything in the advert so when a potential buyer comes to see it all they want to do is test drive it and double check your information that you've put in the advert. Get it on Gumtree, Pistonheads, ASN, Autotrader, local adverts, Preloved, hang a sign on it and park in various high traffic/footfall area (careful, though, as my mate has just been warned by the police for doing this with the cars he sells LOL), and last resort, eBay.

HTH[/QUOTE]

Normally you can only nominate one car to receive the no claims discount on, though some insurers offer it on both.

At the end of the day, keep them both insured for the sake of £50 - if the old gets pinched, damaged or crashed into, you wont have a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

What happens if someone wants to test drive it over the next couple of weeks? Do I continue with existing coveron the old car, take out a new policy on the new car? but a short term cover policy?.

Well they will only be able to test drive the vehicle if there is valid insurance on the car.

If I was in your position I would firstly phone up your current insurance and find out

a) How much to change the old vehicle to the new one permanently.
b) If your old vehicle can be added temporarily onto your current policy
c) The costs involved with temporary insurance for the old car and how long they can offer it to you.

Also look very thoroughly at the T&Cs if you are going to set up another policy just to cancel it within the first 14 days....yes there is a cooling off period- but that doesn't mean you are exempt from cancellation fees for ending your policy early.