Wheels in for refurb & new rubber

Keef

Reaction score
Dropped my wheels in at Prestige in Birmingham this morning.

My car had some interesting Audi company - two very nice RS6!
https://www.facebook.com/prestigewheelcentre

Doesn't look like my car made the final cut! must be the loan wheels lol

Reactions: scotty76 and chucky1
Your going PS3s aren't you Keef? I have a thing for that open spoke look. I like those wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keef
Yes mate im going with PS3s this time.

Well they aint the prettiest but at least the loan wheel colour matches my car!

I hate to say it, but car does actually feel better on 18" wheels

When the factory Contis are done I will be going back to PSSs. 18" Feel better. Bit more pliant? Not so hard?

Car just feels more stable, the tramling has gone and the steering feels better.
Im hoping this is just down to the Contis and not just the wheel size - either way im not dirhing my 19" rotors :grinning:

I switched from Contis to PSSs on 19" Rotors on my A4. They were spot on. Car was very well planted. I'm not unhappy with the Contis at the moment but will go to Michelins when it's time.

My S4 left the factory on Contis. It'll take along time to wear them down (I'm usually quite gentle on rubber, bit like Jenson Button) but will definitely change brands when they are.

You might be changing them sooner than you think. I tend to take it steady most of the time but only got 11.5k out if my factory Conti's. Had exact same tyre and 19s on my previous A4 (3.0tdi quattro) and got 18k miles!?

Whoa 11.5K. Thats the S4 talking brother. Or climbing kerbs getting out of the way of ambulances.

I do wonder how much is down to the 19"s @Keef . I've never had any issues with the 18"s though I do have Pirelli tyres.

I think tramlining is part and parcel of having 19" wheels and wide tyres - always had it on my other cars, but never this bad before.
Part of me is still convinced the tracking / steering isn’t set-up right - the Dealers have said that as they’ve looked at it twice and not found any issues then its ok...but i don’t except that.
Tempted to get the alignment checked independently if it feels the same with new tyres.

Or might just order an RS6! £7k finance contribution at the mo

Reactions: scotty76
Yep, I did chuckle yesterday when I noticed the merlin purple RS6 pictured above had 21" wrapped in Conti's

I've just changed from the Conti 3s to Dunlop Sportmaxx RT all 19" and the difference is amazing, no tram lining, no noise and a much better feel. I have always liked Contis but these were absolutely awful !

I had Dunlop SportMaxx RTs on my B7 3.0TDi quattro; they were far better than Contis on that too.

All good so far, only covered 50 miles but car feels good.
Rim protector not as pronounced as the contis.

Reactions: chucky1
Yeah they are a "blocky" tyre. Straight up and down. The PSSs didn't have anything resembling a lip. I think thats a good solid look. Glad they feel good.

All good so far, only covered 50 miles but car feels good.
Rim protector not as pronounced as the contis.
Was more asking about the wheel refurb but everyone got hung up on the evil Contis again. :) I'm assuming the wheels look new again?

I had Dunlop SportMaxx RTs on my B7 3.0TDi quattro; they were far better than Contis on that too.
Having just swapped from an A4 BE on 19" rotor's with Conti's to an S4 on 19" Speedlines of the same width and offset, I can also confirm the Pirelli do not tramline anything like as much as the Conti.
Good to hear the Dunlop's are good too, as I have these on the rear and am likely to purchase these as 20's for my new RS4 Rep wheels.

Was more asking about the wheel refurb but everyone got hung up on the evil Contis again. :) I'm assuming the wheels look new again?

Yep like new...well new when I had em done in silver
The colour is plantinium silver, which I think is the closes to Audi OEM silver although I was very tempted to try
Shadow chrome this time, but I bottled it. not the best pix but you get the jist

Car was sitting a bit high after been jacked
Image Image

Last edited:
Hmm posted the above from my ipad, just logged in to add another photo and cant seem edit from my laptop!?
oh the joy of technology

IMG 2382

Reactions: xpoweruk
Hmm posted the above from my ipad, just logged in to add another photo and cant seem edit from my laptop!?
oh the joy of technology

View attachment 68521
Yup, like them @Keef :thumbs up:

Colour seems to match the S mirrors too

Slightly off topic - My old B8 A4 came with 19" Pirelli P-Zero's, which, TBH, I found horrendous and replaced 'em all before they were worn out
What did I replace 'em with? Conti CS3's, which I found great, so when I got my new S4 I was more than happy than it came with CS3's as standard equipment

Hey Keef. Just checking in to see how your PS3s have settled.

Well I've done 1000k miles on them already, feel much better but the road noise is definitely louder than the contis. Either that or if got a problem with the car

Mmm..... I was very impressed when I had them on the sedan. Noise? Rolling noise ? or "impact" noise ie hitting a cats eye or road join.

Rolling noise, like a faint hum but doesn't seem to be speed related, doesn't get louder as I go faster. Thought it was just new tyres but not so sure now

Might be wheel bearing, that's how mine started off.
I used Prestige to get my winter wheels refurbed. They do a very good job at a good price if you pay cash.

The PSSs I had were quiet. I don't know if there is much, or any, difference between the two tyres. My understanding is, is that there isn't. Inflation pressures? I always up it compared to the door placard. They may settle down further, they're still a new tyre.

Interesting. Black Circles list the PS3 as 71dB. The Contis both SC3 and SC5 are listed as 72dB. What's going on there then? :)

Not sure, the only reason i thought it wasn’t a wheel bearing is that the car was at the dealers a few months back (before new tyres)
to investigate a noise that i though was actually a bearing, they attributed this to poor tyre and saw tooth pattern, which seemed to be the case looking at the old tyres.
That noise definitely went with the new tyres.

Looks like another trip to the dealers

Sorry to hear that @Keef . Guess this is what the warranty is for. :) Keep us posted on the outcome.

Feeling pretty happy with my choice of sticking to the 18"s. I loved the look of the BE 19" but I just suspected they were going to be costly. Sorry. :)