Wheels and Tyres

TurboBen

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing the wheels on my S3, and have a few questions.

First off, car is a pre facelift S3 saloon and will soon be lowered 20mm. I'm looking for a lightweight set of alloys to try and reduce the unsprung rotational mass. So, my questions are these:

1. Does anyone know how much the standard 19" wheels on the saloon weigh? If anyone is getting new tyres fitted anytime soon, would they be able to weigh one for me?

2. What offset are the standard wheels? I've seen somewhere they are 49mm, but not sure.

3. I'm considering going up to 20" rims. What is the largest wheel width/tyre width/wheel offset that will fit on a 20mm lowered car? Most 20" wheels come in 8.5" and 9" widths minimum. How would a 235 30 tyre look on 8.5", or a 245 30 on a 9" rim? Don't want an overly stretched tyre! Would these fit the car?

4. This one might seem daft, but does anyone know where I can find the weight of different tyre options? I saw an article somewhere where one tyre was over 2kgs lighter than some others of the same size. That would be 8kg's of unspung rotational weight just from the tyres! Obviously, there's no point in saving 2kg on the wheels if I then put heavy tyres on. Tyre suggestions welcome, but no hedgefinders please!

5. Following on from 4, has anyone tried dunlop sport maxx RT2's on their S3?

Think that'll do for now. Any answers would be much appreciated!

OEM tyre on my car is sport maxx RT (not RT2). Overall, not terrible tyres at all, but I shan't buy them again as I know that Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear et al have superior offerings.

Well, I've spent some time digging and found a good site for tyre reviews, it even gives the weight of some tyres!

The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SportMaxx-RT-2.htm

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-3.htm

If you go to the "Label Scores" tab, it gives the weights of some sizes of each tyre. At 235/35/19, the Dunlop is a full 2kg's lighter than the Goodyear! It's also got great reviews and performance wise is up there with the best of them (top 3 in several tests). Think I'll give them a go, though I'd still like to hear from someone that has run them.

I'm going to stick with 19's, so questions 3, and 4 are now answered. Looking at the OZ Leggera HLT, which is 9.1kg's, giving a wheel and tyre weight of 18.5kg's. If anyone has chance to weigh the standard wheels with or without tyres, I can make a comparison. I'd also still like to know the standard offset.

Standard 19s are ET49

Wheel

Reactions: davc and TurboBen
Reactions: glospete
Good choice on staying with 19's and not 20's . If you are interested in keeping the weight down and wheel / tyre prices sensible then 19's all day.
Tirerack.com have the weights of most tyres. They don't have exactly the same tyres as us some times as the American market has some different specs however a lot of them are the same.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...YR9F1AN0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Just click on the specs tab.
I know what you are saying about the tyre weight but at the end of the day that patch of rubber is what actually generates the grip between you and the road.Personally I would go with the Goodyear, just keep away from the kerbs as the rim protector on the assy3 is not that good.
If you are interested in tyre life the Continental Sport Contact 6 seems to wear pretty quickly from the tests and reviews I have seen.
Tyreleader have good prices for OZ wheels.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/oz/leggera-hlt-1351/8x19-et45-5x112-73-75043

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/oz/

Reactions: TurboBen
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm
Check out the relative strengths of the different tyres in this test.

I would definately consider Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but they don't do 235/35/19, at least not yet. Edit - after reading the press release, it's the pilot sport 4 s, released in January, and will come in 235/35/19. Hate to think how much they'll cost! Nice to see some info on longevity though, seems the Goodyears wear much better than the Dunlops and the Continentals wear out in no time!

Thanks for the link to the wheels as well. £50 cheaper than rimstyle which were the cheapest I found. Only thing is I don't know if there's a fitting kit with them. The centre bore of the wheels is 73 compared to 57.1 standard. Having said that, we have a machine shop at work so I'm sure I could get some reducers made up.

Seen as you've done such a good job of finding those wheels, I'm also considering the Ultraleggera HLT in bronze (with Sepang). I can only find 8.5" rim widths, but OZ website say 8" is available. See if you can work your magic for me :)

Last edited:
Not exactly scientific but a good base start.

Used suit case scales to weigh a set of 19' OEM Audi Saloon Alloys with Pirelli P zeros on (235/35/19). All in ( tyres and wheels ) they are 19.33 KGs. I think the alloys alone are about 9.5-10.5 kgs.

Cant weigh the 18's S3 alloys as they are on.!

But as a comparison weighed a set of 16' OEM Ford Alloys (195/50/16) with Continental tyres and they weigh about 16.5 KGS.

Happy days.

Audi 19's

IMG 0386

IMG 0393

Ford 16's as comparison

IMG 0395

IMG 0442

Jungle

Last edited:
I just measured my standard 18s with 225/40 Hankook Ventus s1 Evo2 ditchfinders and they are 21.7KG

Reactions: TurboBen and jungle650
I'm considering replacing the wheels on my S3, and have a few questions.

5. Following on from 4, has anyone tried dunlop sport maxx RT2's on their S3?

Think that'll do for now. Any answers would be much appreciated!

I have RT 2's on - I think they're awesome... rim protection is naf tho

Not exactly scientific but a good base start.

Used suit case scales to weigh a set of 19' OEM Audi Saloon Alloys with Pirelli P zeros on (235/35/19). All in ( tyres and wheels ) they are 19.33 KGs. I think the alloys alone are about 9.5-10.5 kgs.

Cant weigh the 18's S3 alloys as they are on.!

But as a comparison weighed a set of 16' OEM Ford Alloys (195/50/16) with Continental tyres and they weigh about 16.5 KGS.

Happy days.

Audi 19's

View attachment 111582

View attachment 111583

Ford 16's as comparison

View attachment 111585

View attachment 111586

Jungle

Many thanks! Not only have you answered my question, you've probably saved me a couple of grand! Seems the standard 19's are already light weight, and I wouldn't be saving more than half a kilo per corner (if that) by getting the OZ's, and TBH I prefer the style of the standard 19's.

I'll be needing new tyres before long, the pirelli's don't seem to have lasted 5 minutes. Down to 2-3mm and I've only done 7000 miles. Must be the way I drive :) I'll weigh one of the wheels naked when I do for future reference. Hopefully the tyres will last till the Michelin Pilot sport 4S is released.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed, all my questions have been answered! Just waiting for all the goodies I ordered from Demon Tweeks on Black Friday now and I'll be a happy chappy :)

Reactions: Daytonapig
Many thanks! Not only have you answered my question, you've probably saved me a couple of grand! Seems the standard 19's are already light weight, and I wouldn't be saving more than half a kilo per corner (if that) by getting the OZ's, and TBH I prefer the style of the standard 19's.

I'll be needing new tyres before long, the pirelli's don't seem to have lasted 5 minutes. Down to 2-3mm and I've only done 7000 miles. Must be the way I drive :) I'll weigh one of the wheels naked when I do for future reference. Hopefully the tyres will last till the Michelin Pilot sport 4S is released.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed, all my questions have been answered! Just waiting for all the goodies I ordered from Demon Tweeks on Black Friday now and I'll be a happy chappy :)

You r welcome... the PZeros do not seem to last much beyond 8-10k miles for many people. So clearly soft rubber...However they do have fantastic rim protection with the inflated outer edge. They are about 2 x £1 coins worth ( there is a coin protection thread somewhere on here ! ) That should not be forgotten about with your nice new alloys!

Be interested to see what the new Michelins have rim protection wise compared to these.. and ofcourse how they fair mileage wise.

Jungle

IMG 0458

IMG 0460

IMG 0459

Reactions: TDI-line and Daytonapig
I noticed the rim protection on mine, but they don't work that well unfortunately. I managed to kerb one of mine the day after I got the car :( I was paying too much notice to the kerb at the rear, and hit it with one of the fronts. Luckily, because the car had a few faults, the dealer offered to refurb the wheel as a good will gesture. TBH I don't park up near kerbs very often, so rim protection is not high on my list. In fact, that huge lump of rubber on the side of the tyre must add quite a bit of weight!

Under 20Kg for a 19 inch OE wheel tyre combo is quite good.

It is considering pirelli are one of the heavier tyres. The evo article says 10.2kg, so that would make the wheels about 9.5kg, depending how worn jungle's tyres were. The OZ's are 9.1kg and thery're marketed as lightweight. For 400 grams a corner, it's not worth the money. For any significant gains I would have to consider forged wheels and they're ridiculously expensive. That being said, I did take a good long look at the ATS Twinlight. Weigh in at 9.1 kg for a 20x9" rim, but about £6000. They do have the added bonus of looking like the A3 clubsport wheels though!

http://www.stsmotorsport.co.uk/ats-twilight-forged - For those that wish to significantly lighten their wallet :)

It is considering pirelli are one of the heavier tyres. The evo article says 10.2kg, so that would make the wheels about 9.5kg, depending how worn jungle's tyres were. The OZ's are 9.1kg and thery're marketed as lightweight. For 400 grams a corner, it's not worth the money. For any significant gains I would have to consider forged wheels and they're ridiculously expensive. That being said, I did take a good long look at the ATS Twinlight. Weigh in at 9.1 kg for a 20x9" rim, but about £6000. They do have the added bonus of looking like the A3 clubsport wheels though!

http://www.stsmotorsport.co.uk/ats-twilight-forged - For those that wish to significantly lighten their wallet :)

Tyres were at about 5.5-5.8mm so between appx 30-40% worn based on a new tyre @8mm.

Jungle

I noticed the rim protection on mine, but they don't work that well unfortunately. I managed to kerb one of mine the day after I got the car :( I was paying too much notice to the kerb at the rear, and hit it with one of the fronts. Luckily, because the car had a few faults, the dealer offered to refurb the wheel as a good will gesture. TBH I don't park up near kerbs very often, so rim protection is not high on my list. In fact, that huge lump of rubber on the side of the tyre must add quite a bit of weight!
Got to agree the rim protection on my pirelli pzero's looks great but the wife has already caught a kurb and ripped a big chunk of the rim protection off. The bit what was hanging on is far too soft it hardly does anything.

I don't know about anyone else but I largely find rim protection irrelevant. Yes, it may protect against some objects that may get kicked up by your tyres whilst driving. But, surely no piece of rubber, no matter how large is going to protect your alloy from a kerb.