Wheel wobble

Geoff Morritt

Reaction score
A bit of advice please...The car has had a wheel wobble/vibration at 65-75mph for some time. It didn`t bother me as I tend to use it just round town. I recently had a refurbed set of alloys fitted by a reputable company, who swapped my wheels for theirs. They mentioned that one of mine was buckled and showed it to me. They balanced the replacements and off I went thinking I would have no more wobble, but I do. Presuming the wheels are all balanced, is there anything else that could cause this?
Thanks in advance.

Between 65 and 75 is unbalanced wheels. Maybe a weight fell off or it wasn't done right

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Warped brake disc maybe. Do you get any vibration under braking? Or does it get worse?
Other than that I would be looking at track rod ends, or suspension arms, ball joints etc.
Basically get it in for some diagnosis
Hope you get sorted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have the same thing on mine but slightly fastest. Usually at 70. I had a bent wheel which I paid to have fixed. It still wobbled/vibrated adterwards so I put it on the balancer as it was mega obvious before that it was bent. The bend was gone but not the vibration...

Both fronts were a few grams out so sorted that. Still vibrates. Checked again. A few grams out. Fixed again. Still vibrates lol.

Now I have to do 80 to avoid feeing it. The dash cam keeps thinking I’ve crashed and locks the files constantly haha.

I just had a mot too so don’t think it’s a track rod end else they would of picked it up. They see a 211k car and go looking for things as it must have something wrong with it grrr.

Warped brake disc maybe. Do you get any vibration under braking? Or does it get worse?
Other than that I would be looking at track rod ends, or suspension arms, ball joints etc.
Basically get it in for some diagnosis
Hope you get sorted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. The discs were replaced recently and when I rotate the wheels there are no tight spots..The car was also recently MOT`d with no advisories, but I will be taking it in to get it rechecked.
Thanks again..

Let us know how you get on as mine does this, I have two sets of wheels (winters and summers) and they both vibrate, they could be as out of balance as each other but that sounds a long shot.

As I've said above. Anything between 65-75mph is wheel balance

As I've said above. Anything between 65-75mph is wheel balance

Or something affecting damping, structural rigidity of the system etc etc.
Wheel balance is absolutely the most likely cause but if that's been fixed it has to be something else.

Make sure the hub/wheel faces are clean and no corrosion

Buckled wheel
Balancing
Warped brake disc(s)
Wheels not sitting flush on hubs (dirt or corrosion on wheel or hub face)
Using wheel spacers that aren't hubcentric
Uneven tyre wear

I had wobble caused by 2 buckled wheels. This wasn't picked up by a garage (National Tyres) when I took the car to them and asked them to balance the wheels. Another garage found the problem straight away so a second opinion on whether the wheels are properly balanced may be a good idea.