Wheel spacers on 8p s3

KieranS3

Reaction score
My current wheels on my 8p s3 are BBS CH-R 19x8J ET50. I was wondering how wide people have been able to go without scrubbing? Currently lowered on H&R springs.

Thanks
Kieran

I have 18x7.5J BBS CH Wheels and just bought some H&R lowering springs for the car.
I was going to go for 10mm & 15mm spacers.
The fact yours is a higher offset by 5mm I'd say having 12mm on the rear should be fine.
Why don't you buy some 10mm spacers and try as they will fit either end of the car.
Then you can gauge a size from there.

Is that on the standard wheels and suspension?

Yes that's with the standard alloys which are 18''/7.5J/ET54 (although the front naturally sit wider than the rear, hence the difference in spacer size). Yours being 19''/8J/ET50 will mean that 10mm & 12mm spacers will cause rubbing (more so on the rear) because you're lowered as well.

I've got 18''/8J/ET45 alloys and lowered 10mm at the back and 30mm at the front on AP Coilovers of which I have no rubbing. I previously had 5mm spacers on the rear with this setup, so effectively ET40 of which there was rubbing on the rear. You don't want to be any less then ET42 if you don't want rubbing whilst lowered (depends how far you're dropped of course but I'm talking normal levels like what we are, not stupid looking/impractical levels).

Last edited:
Yes, I have had the same set up on coilovers and now on shortened springs and shocks ( Bilstein shocks and shortened springs) supplied by DPM running into almost 3 years.

What offset are your wheels?

I have 12mm on rear with HnR 25mm lowering springs. And they do rub on the back a fair bit

I have 12mm on rear with HnR 25mm lowering springs. And they do rub on the back a fair bit
That's helpful, thanks for the info. I might try some 10's

Reactions: Kaine19
I believe theres a screw you take out which can cause the most rubbing

I have 8Jx19ET50 RS3 wheels and tyre sizes and the rears (no spacer) rub when heavily loaded (yes that screw looks the cuprit). On the front I have 12mm spacers with no problem.

HTH

Ive got et 43 on mine with coilovers 18x8j and 225 tyres, doesnt rub with the screw out and they sit well

Attachments

• BA294A35-4344-4CFA-8F9A-831C6F066350.jpeg
    BA294A35-4344-4CFA-8F9A-831C6F066350.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 1,034
I have 8Jx19ET50 RS3 wheels and tyre sizes and the rears (no spacer) rub when heavily loaded (yes that screw looks the cuprit). On the front I have 12mm spacers with no problem.

HTH
Are you lowered at all?

I was going to ask this soon as I’m going to 18x8j ET 43 and got some billy B8 and 25mm H&Rs to go on aswell. I’d leave the front as it is but would I get rubbing with 5mm on the rear ?

I have standard S3 alloys with HR springs and 15mm rear spacers.
I get occasional rubbing over large fast bumps. Even when 4 up its only occasional. I've also removed the said screw.
Personally I'd go 12mm if buying again.

Tyre type also make a difference depending on the shape of the wall/shoulder.

I have the same wheels and et45 is the sweet spot so 5 mm hub centric spacers from h& r did it perfect for me. I think the rev for 10/12 is for the 18 which is 54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same wheels and et45 is the sweet spot so 5 mm hub centric spacers from h& r did it perfect for me. I think the rev for 10/12 is for the 18 which is 54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's right. 10/12 mm works with oem 18x7.5j et54.
18x8j et40-45 aftermarket works well without or with up to 5mm spacers (it depends on tyre design and camber).

I think you also need to take in to consideration the state of tune as well. Not sure i would want to run 370bhp on a stg2 S3 through 12mm spacers :) Rather have my wheels bolted top the hubs :)

I think you also need to take in to consideration the state of tune as well. Not sure i would want to run 370bhp on a stg2 S3 through 12mm spacers :) Rather have my wheels bolted top the hubs :)
Running them for years.

I'm sure its fine i just imagine the hub turning and the wheels sort of not as the bolts bend :) I have a brand new set of spacers in the boot for the last year but never plucked up the nerve to fit them. My tire guy said he wouldn't do it when i asked him to stick them on, told me its your life...you do it ...lol

I know it's a mindf**k. But there's a reason why wheel bolts cost almost as spacers.
There's a bigger chance that coilover spring will break in half than quality wheel bolt.

I will stick them on when it warms up a bit and if i die i will come back and post here posthumously and blame you :)

Reactions: ch1z64 and S.
I don't want death, I just want a better fitment :blink:

Reactions: S.
I will stick them on when it warms up a bit and if i die i will come back and post here posthumously and blame you :)
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
You'll go in style with spacers.

Reactions: Hp_S3, paddy and HHS3
Are you best off torquing the bolts on with spacers to prevent them cracking ?

Are you best off torquing the bolts on with spacers to prevent them cracking ?
You should always torque the wheel bolts whether there is a spacer there or not - the force is spread over the face of the spacer - it would be really unusual to have an issue provided the surface as flat and true.
Provided the wheel bolts are tight then it is the clamping force which prevents the wheel moving relative to the hub and spacer - with hubcentric spacers, and 5 substantial bolts it is massively strong.

I'm sure its fine i just imagine the hub turning and the wheels sort of not as the bolts bend :) I have a brand new set of spacers in the boot for the last year but never plucked up the nerve to fit them. My tire guy said he wouldn't do it when i asked him to stick them on, told me its your life...you do it ...lol

Aslong as they are proper hubcentric with correct bore and bolts torqued up you will be fine.

One other concern and i know i am being picky is the extra load on the output shaft bearings on the diff, especially having just forked out £4500 for a new diff at 55k miles as the bearings were moaning....