Wheel spacers for Audi S3 (8V)

Grant

Reaction score
I've searched but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

What wheel spacers have people fitted to their S3?

From GNJ's build thread it says 12mm front and 20mm rear, however on their website they list 15mm front and 20mm rear.

So, what is the optimum width of wheel spacers for OEM wheels?

Last edited:
Grant,
I would go 15mm at the front and 20mm rear, the reason for this is I'm just waiting for a set of 19" rims to be delivered and according to an offset calculator they will be 18.7mm further out than my standard wheels (front and rear) and this seems to be just about right, a couple of mm either way wouldn't make much difference.

Reactions: sjbarneS3
I put 10mm on front and 15mm on the back. Star design 18" oem wheel. H&R.

It's a tradeoff. Note that when u put your wheel too much outside there will be air turbulence (less aerodynamic).

Do you have any photos of your car with the spacers fitted?

Here you go..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405454022913611ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405454034475082ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405454043056825ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405454051771283

Reactions: Zak0123, Fiddie and Grant
Is anyone running or has similar photos of 15mm front and 20mm rear?

Does anyone else have wheel spacers fitted?

Reactions: Fiddie
well, i just purchased some goodies from GNJ Motorsport

TPI 15mm Front Wheel Spacers
TPI 20mm Rear Wheel Spacers
Longer Wheel bolts and locking bolts
H&R 20mm Lowering Springs - 28826-2

should be here tuesday hopefully. can't wait to fit them, weather depending of course.

ill post some before and after pics with and without wheel spacers, then some more in a couple of weeks once the springs have settled.

:icon_thumright:

Reactions: d8ean, Fiddie and S3LVX
have any side shots?
are you on H&R springs as the drop doesn't look as if they are! no offence intended, just looking for H&R myself.

Oem springs mate.. Fitted just the spacers

well, i just purchased some goodies from GNJ Motorsport

should be here tuesday hopefully. can't wait to fit them, weather depending of course.

ill post some before and after pics with and without wheel spacers, then some more in a couple of weeks once the springs have settled.

:icon_thumright:

Can you share pix?

So with a 15 mm 20 mm increase is longer bolts a must or just choice?

I'm assuming fitting wheel spacers should be declared to insurers?

Ok so I've had the following on for a couple of weeks now. time to post some photos.

First up, stock. Look at the wheels hiding in the arches!

Stock_zps278844f5.jpg

Next, below we have the car back after fitting.

HampRJustFitted1_zps3fec1838.jpg

HampRJustFitted2_zps0e2787f9.jpg

HampRJustFitted3_zps27f9d97c.jpg

Now the following shots are 2 weeks later, and have done roughly 500 miles. H&R Springs and Spacers fitted. i think its had a slight drop. Sits perfect now i think.

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter1_zpsab214c24.jpg

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter2_zps684308f0.jpg

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter3_zps0ee6a941.jpg

Some pics of the spacers.

Fronts.

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter5_zpsc8e61c29.jpg

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter4_zps3be19c31.jpg

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter6_zpsc3506e99.jpg

Rears

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter7_zpseccf80e5.jpg

HampR400Miles2weeksAfter8_zps619a5502.jpg

All in all there has been no rubbing with 4 people in the car, and i think the spacers are spot on.

I'm also happy with the drop, around 20-25mm, and the stance looks much meaner.

Comfort wise i can feel a slight difference, but not much, and not enough to not have them fitted to the car.

Ive got some Rota Force wheels in 18x8.5 inch with 225.40.18 tyres (tiny bit of stretch) to put on tomorrow after I've cleaned and protected them as they've just been powder coated. Pics to follow tomorrow.

Reactions: Rayner_1704, The Engineer, Fiddie and 1 other person
Thanks for the pics S3 TRS.

With a slitghty modifications, the car looks awesome! :)

I'll go for the H&R Springs... Do you have Mag-Ride?

No probs.
Am doing the other wheels shortly. No mag ride on my car.

Rota force 18x8.5 et48 with 225/40/18 tyres in gunmetal

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409788061272833

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409788177364519

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409788195350096

Reactions: Rayner_1704 and Fiddie
I just bought my s3 sedan and I really wanna lower it. Does it mess with the preset settings though? ie dynamic, comfort etc?

No doesn't mess with those. The springs alone will not alter the computer. If you changed the shocks then yes because they are dampening adjustable and you would be removing that feature with aftermarket shocks or say coilovers.
The springs being lower are slightly stiffer but only a very small amount. It's negligible to me really.
I don't feel I'm sacrificing ride comfort for looks.

No doesn't mess with those. The springs alone will not alter the computer. If you changed the shocks then yes because they are dampening adjustable and you would be removing that feature with aftermarket shocks or say coilovers.
The springs being lower are slightly stiffer but only a very small amount. It's negligible to me really.
I don't feel I'm sacrificing ride comfort for looks.
Very nice mate. After fitting the springs do you feel the need to get the wheels alignment checked? Is this necessary or not? Thanks

Very nice mate. After fitting the springs do you feel the need to get the wheels alignment checked? Is this necessary or not? Thanks

Won't need to get it checked as non of the geometry would have been touched, however with lowering it the geometry could probably do with being reset setup and reconfigured.

Thanks for all the great insights guys...am gonna go for 10mm 15mm with my 5 spoke 18"

I've often wondered, is it all about looks - or is there any steering/handling benefit in fitting wheel spacers?

be sure to post some pics when you do!
I must say that I have been inspired with the way that your car looks and will be getting the H&R springs and spacers very soon for my SB.......
Have you ever noticed any rubbing and are you 100% pleased with the result?

Thanks very much! I'm really happy with the look.
I took the spacers off for the service the other day in case Audi needed to take the wheels off and I remembered again why I got the spacers. The wheels disappear too far in the bodywork.
I've just put my rota force wheels on because I'm getting the winter tyres off my S3 wheels and 2 of them refurbished.

Reactions: P D C
Thanks very much! I'm really happy with the look.
I took the spacers off for the service the other day in case Audi needed to take the wheels off and I remembered again why I got the spacers. The wheels disappear too far in the bodywork.
I've just put my rota force wheels on because I'm getting the winter tyres off my S3 wheels and 2 of them refurbished.
Great stuff, many thanks for that and I can't wait to get the mod done....... :thumbs up:

Just ordered some H&R spacers for my S line, I went for 10mm up front and 15mm rear.

I haven't ordered any longer bolts yet though, does anyone know if my wheels need radius or tapered seated bolts?
b5a895faf1de4ff258e57aedbe71ca98.jpg
107053a6bdd31e4d3a0afb9d7fea002c.jpg

There's a picture of one of my wheels, and one of the car the day after my springs went in

Audi generally use radius bolts. Cone bolts are usually used for after market wheels.

a9868b8284f8d5b3188a8179804ada05.jpg

Best to check though just take one off.

I would get some longer locking nuts too. Mc guard usually do them.

I keep reading about wheel spacers, and am still not entirely sure why they are needed. Having said that I am starting to see why some people do it - although I really don't get the lowering and ultra lowering fad which accompanys it. But each to their own.

On a practical note, do the wheel spacers give non aesthetic benefit? I also assume they are insurance notifiable?

Reactions: Liam Joyce