Wheel Spacer problems

sturs4

Reaction score
Im running 20mm spacers on my S3.Nearly one thread on each spacer has stripped just torquing the bolts up.Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Ive just given my self the fear of going round a corner and my wheel departing from the car,plus its on the rollers on saturday and i want it to be sound before hand.Im going to replace them but if this problem is a regular occurrence i'm not going to bother.

cheers

They sound cheap and nasty to me despite how much you may have paid. Find a supplier who will supply you with a set of stainless reinforced jobbies.

I wouldn't be able to compare I'm afraid. The advert doesn't address the quality/grade of the threads. However I wouldn't recommend 20mm spacers in any circumstance!

Sadly i need them for my Maybachs to fit.

Sadly i need them for my Maybachs to fit.

As you say you're probably better off with the Eibach's then as they're hubcentric and shouldn't cause too many adverse problems.

If your wheels need 20mm spacers to fit then I would suggest the spacers aren't the problem. Get some wheels that fit properly.

If the spacers are the sandwich type that are clamped between the wheel and the hub, surely it is the wheelbolts that are the issue? I take it you have the correct length longer bolts?

They are the type that bolt to the hub then the wheel bolts to the spacer.Having them on isnt gonna be an issue as its bringing the ET of the alloy to standard fitment.Its a case of **** quality spacers i think.You can make anything fit properly,its just finding the right quality parts to do so,thats why im asking.

Consider it a public health information post :) I don't really want to see the OP die when his wheel falls off. The spacers he has are clearly made of toffee or something.

I have nothing against spacers but please use good ones. If you really want to fit those wheels then get H&R or Eibach spacers or anything else that is TUV approved and hubcentric rather than the kind you have. It will require longer bolts as well so will work out more expensive but will be safer.

For those kind of spacers I would use H&R, I had some of those on another car and they seemed top quality. I didn't think the cheapo makes bothered making those kind though! I think I bought them from Performance Car Parts / EBC Brakes / Eibach Lowering Springs / Koni Suspension Kits / Magnex Exhausts / Powertec Induction Kits - Euro Performance or something like that. These kits come with the bolts as they are specific to the spacer so seem better value than the traditional sandwiched spacer.

Ive gone for hubcentric spacers with longer bolts.ive been told this is the best way of doing it on something like a S3 because the wheels are going to be bolted straight to the hub and not the spacer making it much stronger.

One of my longers bolts did the same when i changed tyres over, luckily i had a spare due to fitting longer locking bolts. I swapped it over and its fine. Basically if all of them torque up ok then you will have no issues