Wheel sizes et

Mick H

Reaction score
Hi all
My first question so go easy. Just bought some refurbed rotors for myB7 cab currently waiting for them, thought I’d done my homework but now panicking.
STD setup is 8j x 18 et43 with 235/40 r18
Bought. 8.5j x 19 et43 planning 245/35 r19
Question is the new wheels will be 6.3 mm closer to the suspension strut will this bee a problem without using spacers ? Also would you recommend 245/35 r19 or 235/35 r19
Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to ASN, the best place for all things Audi and more..:icon thumright:

You'll find all you need to know here and more specifically on the B7 forum as that's your current platform, and a very good choice if I may say.

So then, wheels, I'm not that good on wheels but I'll give you a few pointers that may assist in your quest.

Stick with 235/35 19 as that is an ideal size tyre for the B7 variants.
ET43 on an 8.5j rim is doable and for the most part problem-free but check the gap on the fronts as you can get tyre rub on the strut at the closest point.
In an ideal world, all tyres would be the same but some brands and their offerings with rim protection can vary a bit which can lead to rubbing.
the best way is to check yourself with tyres fitted, the problem arises in as much as you won't know until you have fitted the tyres so once you have lashed out on tyres you're stuck with them.
If you do get issues you will need to fit spacers of some thickness to address the lack of clearance.

Did i mention , been in the same situation myself .

tyre was rubbing under load etc which led to the split.

here.

IMG 2201abc

Thanks for your info and warning noted !! Wish I’d got et 35 now as I’m not a fan of spacers especially thin ones as the just as such

Hi all
My first question so go easy. Just bought some refurbed rotors for myB7 cab currently waiting for them, thought I’d done my homework but now panicking.
STD setup is 8j x 18 et43 with 235/40 r18
Bought. 8.5j x 19 et43 planning 245/35 r19
Question is the new wheels will be 6.3 mm closer to the suspension strut will this bee a problem without using spacers ? Also would you recommend 245/35 r19 or 235/35 r19
Thanks in advance

Input numbers here https://www.willtheyfit.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Input numbers here https://www.willtheyfit.com

Yep , thats a good ref point indeedy, but, it is not specific to any brand or model of car, its a generic guide.
It doesn't factor in the free space between the strut and the tyre at the closest point on a b7 when using wider rims etc, it helps but won't make allowance for specific fitment oddities such as differing profile tyres and rim saver option.

Reactions: Jamsmoo
As with so many B7 mods, its a "suck it and see" situation.:yes:

Thanks for your info and warning noted !! Wish I’d got et 35 now as I’m not a fan of spacers especially thin ones as the just as such

Most go with ET35, 38 etc as it gives a nicer stance and less chance of interference with suspension parts but hey , nothing wrong with sticking with the OE ET43 , you just need to be a bit more cautious in case of contact points due to the wider rims fitment, like I say, many have no issues but others do myself included.

best of luck chap.

Do we have a thread containing oem wheel/tyre/offsets just as a quick reference point for the forgetful amongst us

Nope, but you have me and i'll remind you all.:yes::thumbs up:

Can anyone confirm or correct my workings here
8.5 et45 with 15mm spacer =30et
9.5 et 62.5 with 20mm spacer = 42.5 +12.5mm =30et ?
I’m getting conflicting results when I input info into wheel size checker sites

Am I missing something,the websites calculators putting the 8.5/9.5 difference all towards the suspension rather than 12.5 either way
84fae3de69c0dcdfd2fd3f0e4026ca15.jpg

I probably could of explained that better
Looking for the same poke .I’d of thought 8.5 et30 would have same poke as 9.5 et 42.5

Am I missing something,the websites calculators putting the 8.5/9.5 difference all towards the suspension rather than 12.5 either way
84fae3de69c0dcdfd2fd3f0e4026ca15.jpg

Blonde moment ! I see what I’ve done

Best plan is too allways use the OE data settings (8j et45 is a good start) as a base line and then adjust the parameters you are looking for rather than adjust what you have now if its non standard.

Best plan is too allways use the OE data settings (8j et45 is a good start) as a base line and then adjust the parameters you are looking for rather than adjust what you have now if its non standard.

You know of anyone successfully ran 9.5 on rears ,I’m tempted but unsure how it will affect handling /steering,not sure if it’s the best idea starting to go off the idea ,may not be worth the cost and fitment hassle

A few guys have done in the past but changed soon after and a few still are from my knowledge but it's probably more hassle than it is really worth.
just stick with 8.5j allround and choose an offset and or spacer combo that gives you the desired end result, a lot easier and less likely to encounter hair pulling problems.

You know of anyone successfully ran 9.5 on rears ,I’m tempted but unsure how it will affect handling /steering,not sure if it’s the best idea starting to go off the idea ,may not be worth the cost and fitment hassle

I test fitted some 10j rears with 255 tyres ages ago (lowered car as well) and they rubbed over any slight bump and I thought they looked ridiculous on such a small car but if I was motivated to do it then I think I could of easily got them on with some slight arch roll, camber and a very stretched tyre, possibly a 235 and I'm certain your be trouble free, me personally I love the wide rear end look but it looked way ott with the 10j, the 8.5j with 235 rear tyre and 30 offset do the job a lot better, cleaner and literally bolt on so a lot less hassle as a bonus.

I have a 225 35 on a 19x8.5 with a 15mm spacer =30et
I’ve found Eibach sportlines require that stretch with that et on a 19
I reckon I’d get a 9.5 on if I ran a 255x35 it would give me a side wall height of 76mm which would give me a bit more arch clearance than I have now although I imagine my dentist may be popping a few of my fillings back in

I have a 225 35 on a 19x8.5 with a 15mm spacer =30et
I’ve found Eibach sportlines require that stretch with that et on a 19
I reckon I’d get a 9.5 on if I ran a 255x35 it would give me a side wall height of 76mm which would give me a bit more arch clearance than I have now although I imagine my dentist may be popping a few of my fillings back in

Sorry I meant 255/30

I'm on Eibach sportlines and run 235's on et30 rear mine are fine? Maybe my tyres are slightly different shape to yours possibly.

I'm on Eibach sportlines and run 235's on et30 rear mine are fine? Maybe my tyres are slightly different shape to yours possibly.

Hmm,I know for sure I’d rub with any weight in besides my own with anything more than 225 35 presumably yours are 35s ..maybe saloon /avant

Hmm,I know for sure I’d rub with any weight in besides my own with anything more than 225 35 presumably yours are 35s ..maybe saloon /avant

Oh yeah forgot yours is an avant they do seem to sit a lot lower on the rear than saloons dont they, even though the saloons look like someone's removed the engine

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Jamsmoo
Oh yeah forgot yours is an avant they do seem to sit a lot lower on the rear than saloons dont they, even though the saloons look like someone's removed the engine

Dont forget , the saloons have a dilithium phase generator under the bonnet hence the lack of metal weight to keep the front end down..lol

Dont forget , the saloons have a dilithium phase generator under the bonnet hence the lack of metal weight to keep the front end down..lol
Im not going to lie Rob i have no idea what that is but fact you put the word saloon in there i can only assume its an insult of some kind haha

Nah , i'm not biased at all Ricky a B7 is a B7 , just the avants are BETTER..lol

Play NICE you guys, tis just car stuff, not like it's life threatening, funny though, all the same...
4224.gif

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I don’t suppose we have a list of decent lighter wheels that people have good experience of?
I’d like to transfer my oem wheels to winter tyres and get some lighter ones for the summer...

Budget is the real question.

I've a set of BBS CH-R which I love. Never weighed them but lighter than standards.