Wheel respray

Davsurfa

Reaction score
I like my wheels so I don't really wanna change them, but being quite handy with a rattlecan I wanna change the colour. Here's an odd question, what colour do I paint them?
I don't like the silver they already are, plus it's beginning to lift in parts and flake. I thought of black but I reckon that'd be too dark. White is a definate no no, "It'd just look so wrong"(The girly's words not mine). I like the idea of a darker grey, kinda gunmetally type grey. I saw a Vauxhall Astra Eco on an 09 plate that is "Technical Grey" and a VW Passat on an 08 plate that is "Iron Grey" I like them(one is lighter than the other).What do you lot think???

I would be interested to know as well, as I prefer a sort of gun metal look, I have noticed it looks meaner when they get some brake dust on them.

would it not peel off later on? let us know how you get on as I would like to have ago.

I've sprayed wheels before and it's not peeled.

And a pic of the car

rearcorner.jpg

black on black might be too much

agree with voorhees, but like you said that Iron Grey should be nice, do you know the spec of the spry you have to use on wheels? i.e high temp one!

Grey FTW chaps :)

3639047210_89dd3ff719.jpg

3638238423_0b9d2d8845.jpg

3638250941_2e288fde99.jpg

3639063876_9def635aa7.jpg

3638246687_230e56a4fd.jpg

3639059328_a77a255659.jpg

Mine are a colour called 'Steel', however they're powder coated and not sprayed....more durable :)

When my wheels were silver they looked too blingy, the greys calmed them right down and they're a bit different considering every pikeys running these now.

T

I've always just used normal car paint from Halfords. A decent primer, proper surface prep and a shed load of lacquer.

Tom dude, they look sweet as!! Gutted they aren't on a black car though.

Nice 1 guys, I think I will do the same as Davsurfa, I wouldn't want to spend money on powder coatting, don't get me wrong they look :whip: but need the money for more serious bits.

Well I'm off work all week so fingers crossed mine should be done by the end of the week. I'll be sure to post pics and colours as I go. Then you can see how it would look(ish, mine is only a lowly A3 1.6) before you decide.

Im spraying mine white when funds allow, or white alloys.

I still have my Turbo Sport 16's sat in the garage that I may stick back on. I'm thinking of spraying them up myself ina similar colour to my RS4's so any tips you lads can give after doing yours....post up!.

T

Buy quailty primer, paint and lacquer, preparation is everything. When you start strip as much paint off as you can, cut the alloy with wet and dry starting with P150 to get rid of any corrosion, then use finer paper P240 and then P600 to lose any scarring caused by the P150, this is where you can see the finish. Now mask up anywhere you don't want paint. If the metal looks good and smooth here the finish will be good and smooth, all the spray will do now is accentuate this surface.

Next apply about 6 light coats of primer. Golden rule: TAKE YOUR TIME!! Let each coat almost dry so it's ever-so slightly tacky. Use your finger nail to try how wet it is by tapping it gently, NOT YOUR FINGER PRINT SIDE, this way you'll only leave a smooth indent rather than a ridged fingerprint. When spraying keep the can moving and don't start or stop when above your wheel.

I find that if I start spraying the colour as the last coat of primer is still drying works best. Put about 10 lights coats of your choosen colour on in the same way you did the primer. If there are any imperfections such as dust, flies or nail marks NOW is the only time you can remove them. Use a P600 or P800 paper to remove them by rubbing in circles not back and forth and then spray again.

All paint from a rattle can at this point looks the same to me. If you can't finish the wheel/item you are working on the day you started it or the paint dries out(overnight for instance, bare in mind the paint will take about 3-5 days to cure properly) cut it with P800 paper then put another 2 coats of paint on, then start your lacquer.

I'd put about 8 coats of clear lacquer on. Once again, TAKE YOUR TIME. Everytime you lay a coat down make sure nothing touches it!! By now you should know roughly how long before it's tacky to the touch SO TIME IT rather than touch it. Once you've finished spraying put the wheel/item out of the way of anything that can touch or land on it. Leave it a minimum of 24 hours before removing any masking.

ABSOLUTE PLATINUM RULE: Do not, no matter what, do this in your kitchen!!!! I did 3 years ago, since then even though we've moved house(not because of this but still)as soon as I even mention painting I still get told "NOT IN THE HOUSE". Women, mine especially, just don't understand when a set of rims need painting and it's raining it's obvious you'll do it inside!!! Personally I didn't get what she was so upset about? I mean I'd even put newspaper down and everything!! Still, she was very unhappy with me for quite a while!!

thanks for that, i might try my chrome surround, doesnt matter if i mess up really.

I sprayed mine about a week ago, looks much better :rockwoot:

is rather an easy item to spray, did you do it body colour?

Yeah, the scary bit is removing it from the car!