Wheel Refurb - Your Thoughts Please

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
All 4 of my wheels have minor damage from kerbs or carelessness after a tyre change. The fact that they're diamond cut makes spot repairs impractical, I'm thinking about having all 4 powder coated.

What would you do? I do quite like the diamond cut look but seems a bit more trouble than it's worth if you're prone to a bit of impatient parking like I am...but also fancy a change.

I don't know whether to a) go ahead with the powder coating and b) if I do, what colour to go for. Whether to stick to the nice bright silver which does look nice on the silver car, or go for something darker that would wear a bit of dirt slightly better....

These are the wheels

0aba2f65496325a8b391ece184ac3766.jpg

Can't really justify the cost right now as the damage is really quite minor - just annoys me - but would look to get it done maybe in the autumn as we head into the 'clean it less' season!

Also as a ballpark figure what am I looking at, c. £100 a wheel?

Thoughts?

I was the same as you so went down the powder coat route. I think I paid £180 for all 4. That’s was repair to 2 that had some medium curb marks. Tyres back on and balanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been quoted £300.00 for minor curb damage and powdercoat in gloss black south wales.
I am not sure where some of these people are getting 180.00 all 4 done, I have phoned lots of places and the cheapest was 270.00

Your wheels are not diamond cut either so like mine you are probably looking around £300.00 for a decent place with a good rep

I was the same as you so went down the powder coat route. I think I paid £180 for all 4. That’s was repair to 2 that had some medium curb marks. Tyres back on and balanced

9807554b300923f33807a0da49b44bef.jpg

Reactions: Fatbloke
I have been quoted £300.00 for minor curb damage and powdercoat in gloss black south wales.
I am not sure where some of these people are getting 180.00 all 4 done, I have phoned lots of places and the cheapest was 270.00

Your wheels are not diamond cut either so like mine you are probably looking around £300.00 for a decent place with a good rep

The quote i got for £180 was from a friend that did mates rates. The finish was perfect and can’t fault at all. I did have to take them off the car and deliver them. But I’m more than happy.

Thats a nice colour Phil
I wish we all had mates rates lol.
I am on the fence of new for 500.00 or Audi OEM refurb for 300.00, I think I will probably go for the refurb option

Thats a nice colour Phil
I wish we all had mates rates lol.
I am on the fence of new for 500.00 or Audi OEM refurb for 300.00, I think I will probably go for the refurb option

Thanks. He did say that he would offer a discount to members that mention I sent them. Don’t know where you are but PM me I might be able to help

Those wheels aren't diamond cut, Straight forward super easy refurb.

They’re not, really? They’re not the same finish on part of the wheel as the rest...

A92-CDED4-9-E9-F-4-FA8-B2-E6-0-DD8-C912004-D.jpg

Reactions: Lehn

They look smart. Can you share a pic with the whole car in please? Trying to work out what finish would suit the silver car best

Local refurb place did a refurb job on my diamond cut 5-V spoke spare for £95. Usual single colour would be around £75-85 depending on rim size.

The OPs wheels most certainly ARE diamond cut on the face.
I have the same wheels and am suffering the dreaded diamond cut blistering. Have been quoted £140 per wheel for diamond cut refurb ( which can only be done 3 times ) or half that for painting in a way that matches diamond cut finish.

Blimey, near mine they all charge £85 for a standard 15 in wheel and £120 for a diamond cut 18 in wheel.

I got my s3 18 in wheels done about 3 years ago at £340. That's a good price in berkshire.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

They’re not, really? They’re not the same finish on part of the wheel as the rest...

But when they refurb they can make them the same finish if you want. Surely better imo.

But when they refurb they can make them the same finish if you want. Surely better imo.

Yeah that’s what I was planning to do. I was responding to the post that said they weren’t diamond cut, as they definitely are on the face of the spoke (of course - the part that’s going to get kerbed!)

Fair enough, no need to get the **** on. The picture you posted it's impossible to tell, they look identical to our A3 where the wheels are all silver painted.

I used to have the same wheels, they are diamond cut.

This is my frame of reference, fully painted. This is how they looked in the original picture to me :icon thumright:

Anyway, given they are diamond cut, I'd be giving them to somewhere like Lepsons to refurb properly. I've seen their work and it's top notch. You do pay for it though.

Upload 2020 6 3 15 50 11

Fair enough, no need to get the **** on. The picture you posted it's impossible to tell, they look identical to our A3 where the wheels are all silver painted.

Bliney, calm down pet. It was a genuine question, I didn’t know if it was some other type of finish that I wasn’t aware of.

Bliney, calm down pet. It was a genuine question, I didn’t know if it was some other type of finish that I wasn’t aware of.

You know when it's text, you need to be aware of how it reads. No worries though :icon thumright:

Refurbing a kerb on a diamond cut will almost always could back with white worm unelss properly sealed - had that experience on BMW 313 alloys

they essentialy just poslish out the kerb damaged and expose the surface

I woudld get the whole 4 wheels redone done without diamond finish - or depending on how much thread you have left get new wheels and tyres

Wife has just done her TT - pilsihed rim. I have managed to smooth it out but it will get worse for sure even with tryig to seal it

I have literally kerbed all of mine. epic fail! Sounds like a refurb might be a bit of a waste of time.

Refurbing a kerb on a diamond cut will almost always could back with white worm unelss properly sealed - had that experience on BMW 313 alloys

they essentialy just poslish out the kerb damaged and expose the surface

I woudld get the whole 4 wheels redone done without diamond finish - or depending on how much thread you have left get new wheels and tyres

Wife has just done her TT - pilsihed rim. I have managed to smooth it out but it will get worse for sure even with tryig to seal it

A proper refurb doesn't leave the metal exposed. Once it's been lathed to remove any rash/curb damage it should be clear coated as they are from the factory. Any refurb outfit not clear coating a diamond cut wheel doesn't know what they're doing.

Done properly it should last at least as long as the factory finish - which admittedly isn't that long lol All DC wheels succumb to white worm eventually unfortunately.

I hit a pothole and had to buy a new wheel at £500 plus a repair on the rear. The repair is ok but not great.

Next time it's going to be all refurbed in one colour and ditch the diamond cut.

Your wheel looks really good. What colour is that?

I hit a pothole and had to buy a new wheel at £500 plus a repair on the rear. The repair is ok but not great.

Next time it's going to be all refurbed in one colour and ditch the diamond cut.

Your wheel looks really good. What colour is that?

Shadow Chrome powder coat.

Would like to see the whole car though.

Reactions: Fatbloke
Just booked mine into Wheelz center wales for monday.
They are giving me a set of tyres to keep me on the road.
None are diamond cut, some minor repair on all 4 wheels for 300.00 in gloss black

I had my golf ones done there and they did a good job so dont mind spending a bit more.