wheel refurb.. anyone think this would work

jameo84

Reaction score
I have 19" split rim style alloys with a polished lip.
one of the lips got bent and split so it in getting welded as we speak. the polished finish will now have to go as all 4 lips have tarnished and peeled.
So my plan is to rub down the polished lip with wet and dry to get a brushed effect then spray it with some halfords clear lacquer,
anyone done this of think it will work.

one of the lips got bent and split so it in getting welded as we speak. the polished finish will now have to go as all 4 lips have tarnished and peeled.
So my plan is to rub down the polished lip with wet and dry to get a brushed effect then spray it with some halfords clear lacquer,

I wouldn't recommend spraying it, flat it back with wet and dry and leave it bare.
Wax should protect it and if you curb it again just get out the wet and dry and clean it up again

Anyone got tips on DIY alloy refurb. Dings , scratches etc.

Personally wouldn't. By the time you've spent the time and money on getting it, the result will be OK, but not professional.

You need a sealent or wax that will hold up to the temperatures created by the brakes and tyres.

Poorboys Wheel Seal is a good bet. So is the Finish Kare 1000 sealent.

I found out the other day that the 'polished' lip on the E46 BMW M3 alloys is not polished at all but actually paint.
You could use the same paint as this and maintain the polished appearance if that's what you wanted to do.

Sorry this is a really late response...

Only ever washed my car, and now I have I car I feel is worthy of spending hours cleaning it, I have been researching into detailing for the last 2 weeks for I give it a bash!

I came across this yesterday... might be of some use