Wheel problem

koen_dr

Reaction score
Website
spaces.msn.com
Hi, I had new 8 x 19" A8 wheels ( 225x35x19 ) installed yesterday, but the problem is that the one's in the rear really hit my rear bodywork when I take a bump... They stick out too far I think, what can we do to make it ok again... The guys from the shop where I got them want to "drill" out some space where they are attached so they can put them deeper...
Anyone had the same problem???

http://koen-dries.magix.net/

see at the pics at hobby

Sounds like an offset problem, your car requires wheels to have offsets of round ET45, but the 8 x 19" A8 wheels probably only come in ET35. It is possible to machine some of the metal away from the hub side of the wheel to bring it nearer the required offset, but wouldn't that weaken the strength of the wheel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

it was mentioned in another thread that the standard audi wheels offset for the 8P is 56.

I'm looking at installing 35 offset wheels, but if they'll rub at the rear, maybe not once the car is lowered.

sorry koen - that was a bit confusing. I meant that I might not fit wheels with a offset of 35 once the car is lowered, if you're having problems now. what suspension do you have?

Whats the offset of the wheel now and how much are they planning on shaving off!

It is possible to machine the inner wheel faces to change the offset...

On the phone they said the could machine off 3-4mm

ANd no, I didn't change anything too the shocks yet...

I thought going to ET35 would be too much for the A3. Looking at my standard wheels at the weekend, even 10mm further out would put the rim of the wheel very close to being inline with the wheelarch edge. So putting on a 8inch wheel with ET35 is moving the wheel 26mm further out from standard. It is pushing the limits.

Would you need to change the bolts if you shaved 3-4mm off the wheel? Could be OK, but I would't like to chance it. Any implications on your insurance? If a wheel sheers off and they find out that your wheels had been doctored?

is it a problem having the rim in line with the wheel arch? will a stiffer suspension set up help much?

I've had some good news a few minutes ago, they ordered the rong ET value it was 35 instead of the 45 I needed, they are going to deliver the right ones tomorrow morning so by 14.00 they should be back on my baby...
I hope they fit right this time.

Next is lowering springs, what kind of make is good? I was thinking abt or eibach

Standard is ET56 for the A3. Aftermarket is usually 35 or 45. I personally think an 8 inch ET45 looks best and is still practical.

Eibach is highly rated. So is H&R.