1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift Wheel Paint Colour 8Z8 - Where to Source

beepbeep Jun 14, 2018

1. beepbeep

beepbeep New Member

Hi, I am trying to obtain some silver paint to repair a minor kerbed wheel on a 17 A3. I know the wheel is a 8V0 601 025 CT which according to ETKA is colour 8Z8 .

I have found numerous posts which agree that although 8Z8 Diamond Silver is the Audi colour for the wheel, Audi do not make the paint available. There are lots of suggestions that adding L to the number making it L8Z8 will provide the correct paint code. The only sources I can find that offer paint of this code are E-Bay sellers.

Can anyone who has actually purchased paint 8Z8 / L8Z8 Diamond Silver and achieved a good match with a recent year wheel please let me know the supplier.

I also read a few comments that Ford Moondust Silver was a good match but having parked alongside one yesterday it appears far too grey. Maybe this applied to older Audi wheels.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Mikeso51

Mikeso51 Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Audi A3 Sportback

Hi
    Did you ever sort out the paint for your wheel? I have a 2017 Sportback Sport with the same 5 arm 17 inch wheels, and I’m trying to find out the paint code so I can touch up some chips. Any help much appreciated.

Mike

4. beepbeep

beepbeep New Member

Hi,
    Sorry I never got a single reply to my question and I've still not sourced any yet. There must be some out there and I would like to get mine done now that winter is just around the corner.

I made matters worse the other day when working on parking sensors by dropping the locking wheel socket onto the rim leaving another dent. Grrrrr.

Regards

5. Mikeso51

Bad luck. I had a rather similar accident, which is why I need to touch up my wheel. Once I know the paint code I plan to get some paint mixed by Chipex, since I already have one of their kits for the bodywork of the car. However the Chipex paint is £20 a pop so I want to be sure of the code. I have asked Audi to confirm and I’m waiting for a reply.

Mike

6. Mikeso51

Heard back from Audi, who confirm that the paint code for the 17inch 5-arm allow wheels on my 2017 MY Sportback Sport is 8Z8, and the colour is Diamond Silver. The problem is that Audi do not sell this paint, and as far as I can tell after much searching it is not available in the UK. The closest I got was a company who said that they had the formulation and they would try to get some mixed, but eventually they said it was only available as a water-based paint which they couldn’t supply. They confirmed that the 8Z8 code paint sold as VW Brilliant Silver is not the same stuff, and is a different colour “with less silver pigment”. Not sure where to go from here. I have found a generic silver wheel touch up paint which looks pretty close so I may have to settle for that. At the moment I’m only looking to touch up a couple of small chips. If anyone knows of a source of the right stuff, do tell!

7. beepbeep

beepbeep New Member

Well if you have found one that's close it will be better than bare metal over the winter. Could you let me know which one it is please.

8. Mikeso51

No problem beep beep. I’ll check out the can in the garage tomorrow.

9. Mikeso51

Ok beepbeep, the touch up paint I've used is called E-tech Alloy Wheel Paint. I bought it online from Ebay. If you search for E-tech Alloy Wheel Paint Metallic Silver 400ml it will turn up several hits. You shouldn't need to pay more than £7. Make sure you get the one with the code AWP-60021. They make several colours. It's a spray can, but for touching up chips I spray some into the cap, let some of the solvent evaporate for a minute or two, then fill the chip using a fine artists paint brush. The paint sinks when it dries, so it usually takes 2 or 3 applications to fill the chip level. They also make a clear lacquer to go over the silver, but for chips this isn't really necessary. This paint is the closest match I've found to Diamond Silver.

Phutters likes this.
  10. beepbeep

beepbeep New Member

Hi Mike thanks for the info. I just ordered one from the E-tech online site £6.99 post free Part AWP-60021.
    A couple of my scrapes are deep enough to need a tiny bit of filler but I will follow your method.

Thanks again.