Wheel offset question

PhilMill63

Reaction score
I know this may sound stupid to those who know but, which way does the offset work? my wheels are et35 which has been fine until i fitted new pads, then they hit the carriers! I have now fitted 5mm spacers so I assume I now have et40?? I ask this because my wheels fill the arches right to the edge and if i change the wheels to et45 as standard it seems they would almost be proud of the arch.

Thanks, Phil

The thing with offset is, it's kind of the opposite of what you expect it to be. The lower the ET number, the further out the wheels and tyres sit. So, ET45 wheels sit 10mm further in than ET35 wheels. If you are using 5mm spacers with ET35 wheels, your effective offset is ET30, not ET40.

Slightly counter-intuitive, but that's how it is.

Thanks, but that now means I definitely don't want to put on std offset wheels! what is the minimum I can go before I hit the caliper again please.
Phil

Thanks, but that now means I definitely don't want to put on std offset wheels! what is the minimum I can go before I hit the caliper again please.
Phil

That all depends on the wheel design......oh, and you want to be pushing the wheels out to fill the arches, not have em as close to the calipers as you can :arco:

I like the older RS4/TT wheel, I think its AVUS? based on that wheel can I use the 20mm offset RS wheels????

Thanks.

Okay so I've lowered my car 35mm and I'm on factory alloys at the moment (that will change). I was wondering what offset the factory wheels have.. Any Ideas?

Okay so I've lowered my car 35mm and I'm on factory alloys at the moment (that will change). I was wondering what offset the factory wheels have.. Any Ideas?

Have a look at your spare wheel. The offset will be stamped on the inside of one of the spokes.