Wheel Hubs starting to develop rust

vidacalavera

Reaction score
I've noticed that my wheel hubs have started to develop rust and when it rains the brake discs have rust streaks on them. It's a real shame on an otherwise immaculate car. Any recommendations or is it just wire brushes and paint?

Brush or spray on smooth Hammerite .

Black is my preference as silver highlights the brake dust .

Last time discs were replaced I sprayed painted the new ones a few days before they went on .

2.5 years later , no rust whatsoever .

I've used smooth silver hammerite on my calipers and hubs for the last 5 years. Tin lasts ages and probably have to do it like once a year.

and when it rains the brake discs have rust streaks on them.

Dont paint the brake disks though. :blush:
With the paint if you paint the wheel mating face ensure you check wheel bolts after a day or so as the mating face can move a bit ...

Dont paint the brake disks though. :blush:
With the paint if you paint the wheel mating face ensure you check wheel bolts after a day or so as the mating face can move a bit ...

A little bit of paint on the actual disc won't hurt. The pad will burn it off, but yeah, avoid painting the whole disc lol.
I've personally always avoided painting any part that comes in contact with the actual wheel as it could mean the wheel doesn't sit flush on the hub, or the wheel could actually get stuck to the hub when it comes to taking them off. Plus you don't even see that part to need to worry about it anyway.

A little bit of paint on the actual disc won't hurt. The pad will burn it off, but yeah, avoid painting the whole disc lol.
I've personally always avoided painting any part that comes in contact with the actual wheel as it could mean the wheel doesn't sit flush on the hub, or the wheel could actually get stuck to the hub when it comes to taking them off. Plus you don't even see that part to need to worry about it anyway.

I would not use the "Plus you don't even see that part to need to worry about it anyway" as an reason/excuse, I also don't think that painting the mating faces of the disck/hub/wheel is good, but I always use a high temperature grease to stop rusting starting and so cut down the chances of the wheel seizing to the hub. Keep any grease away from the wheel fixing bolt threads.

I would not use the "Plus you don't even see that part to need to worry about it anyway" as an reason/excuse, I also don't think that painting the mating faces of the disck/hub/wheel is good, but I always use a high temperature grease to stop rusting starting and so cut down the chances of the wheel seizing to the hub. Keep any grease away from the wheel fixing bolt threads.

It's a brake disc, they are designed to last a set amount of time before needing to be replaced. If they needed painting or maintenance Audi would put it on the service schedule. So theoretically "Plus you don't even see that part to need to worry about it anyway" is a valid point on this topic, especially when I said don't paint the surface that comes in contact with the wheel.

Picking holes in something that doesn't need holes picked.

This is getting interested , lol.

I'm all for painting brake discs , Pagid have a token gesture of it but it isn't durable .

It's the first part to show unsightly rust on a new car , yuck .

Audi don't do alot of things right .

77mm tdi balancer shaft key oil pump drive , do they fix it , no .

LongLife servicing intervals , bad idea .

Gearbox oil change , no, so called
"life fluid. "

Emissions scandal , etc .

There's those completely black discs that have a wear off coating on the disc surface leaving all other surfaces coated. They still rust through, it's the nature of the part really.

Speaking of the emissions scandal, Lee Nelson at Geneva getting on stage dressed as a VW tech saying he has the "cheat box" was brilliant.

Yeah funny that .

Despite the Pagid's being painted I got out the black smooth Hammerite and sprayed them , simple , perfect and no rust 2.5 years later .

That's a bonus then. I've only ever tried the paint on Hammerite as I make a big enough mess as is, I'd hate to think what I would cover with paint when let loose with a rattle can.

It's a brake disc, they are designed to last a set amount of time before needing to be replaced. If they needed painting or maintenance Audi would put it on the service schedule. So theoretically "Plus you don't even see that part to need to worry about it anyway" is a valid point on this topic, especially when I said don't paint the surface that comes in contact with the wheel.

Picking holes in something that doesn't need holes picked.

I think that you have missed my point completely, it is the hidden areas that will cause the problem with alloy wheels seizing onto the hub/disc, now that is not too handy when you want to get a wheel off - in the middle of no where in the middle of the night! Think - reality?

Edit:- maybe go back and check the title of this thread.