Wheel fitment (offset in 8v models)

Rick20vt

Reaction score
I´ve already used the search thing........ and now i´m more confused about the perfect wheel for the 8v chassis, I have an Audi A3 8v Sline 3 door and I´m looking to buy a 19" wheel set for this car, In my previous 8p S3 the perfect wheel was 19x8.5 with a 45mm offset, but when I search wheels for the 8v I see wheels with 35mm offset for this one, is it safe to use 35mm without rubbing???? or should I stick with 45mm.... thanks!!

I've got 2 sets of wheels for my S3 which arrives next week.

BBS CH-R - 19 x 8.5 ET48 with 225 width. Some go for 235 for less stretch,but the speedo is more accurate at 225, plus hardly any stretch at all. I expect these to sit fine on the front arch, rears could possibly spacer.

OEM Speedline Split Rim - 19 x 9J ET52 - currently with 255 width from my TT but I need to put a 225 on so it would tuck under the front arch. I've seen lots of saloons / sedans running 9J with no problem but I know the hatch has slightly different panels and possibly wider arch / fender.

I'm also planning to lower on Bilstein suspension so I need to clear when lowered 25-30mm. I found with my TT with just H&R springs the dampers would cause a longer compression distance, and rub on the rears when turning hard even with my OEM wheels and tyre sizes.

My advice to you, go for 19 x 8.5 with a high ET like 48 and then use a set of spacers if you need to, you may find they look great without. I will be putting the BBS on in April once I've run the car for a little while so will let you know. It would be interesting to see how the 9J width sits up front on the S3. I reckon they will poke too much for my liking. I hope that helps you.

Evening Rick. The 8V 7.5 x1 8s come with an offset of ET +51

I'm running 8.5 x 19s at +48, with 235/35s, along with H&Rs, with no rubbing, and there's room to spare. I ordered spacers (10mm front & 12mm rear) from one of our site sponsors, but am still waiting for them to arrive more than 2 weeks later. Assumimng they finally arrive tomorrow or Saturday, I'll get some pics posted at the weekend.

Anyway, plenty of the wheel suppliers say that 8.5 x 19 will fit at +40, and I'ver seen a couple of Golf Rs at this size and offset. There's a member here with a set of 8.5 x 20s on a saloon at ET +40 that's also running 8mm spacers up front and 10mm at the rear with no rubbing, but my feeling is that the saloon arches are wider / have more room.

There looks to be plenty of room on my hatch at the rear, so I'm not expecting the 12mm spacers to be any issue. I may be cutting it a bit fine at 10mm up front, I guess we'll see soon enough....

If you have a look at the aggressive wheel fitment thread you'll see @Rabbit222 car (the saloon mentioned above) and @Marc18 car (before air) which is pretty extreme.

Here's a snap of mine to give you an idea

IMG 2103

Last edited:
Evening Rick. The 8V 7.5 x1 8s come with an offset of ET +51

I'm running 8.5 x 19s at +48, with 235/35s, along with H&Rs, with no rubbing, and there's room to spare. I ordered spacers (10mm front & 12mm rear) from one of our site sponsors, but am still waiting for them to arrive more than 2 weeks later. Assumimng they finally arrive tomorrow or Saturday, I'll get some pics posted at the weekend.

Anyway, plenty of the wheel suppliers say that 8.5 x 19 will fit at +40, and I'ver seen a couple of Golf Rs at this size and offset. There's a member here with a set of 8.5 x 20s on a saloon at ET +40 that's also running 8mm spacers up front and 10mm at the rear with no rubbing, but my feeling is that the saloon arches are wider / have more room.

There looks to be plenty of room on my hatch at the rear, so I'm not expecting the 12mm spacers to be any issue. I may be cutting it a bit fine at 10mm up front, I guess we'll see soon enough....

If you have a look at the aggressive wheel fitment thread you'll see @Rabbit222 car (the saloon mentioned above) and @Marc18 car (before air) which is pretty extreme.

Here's a snap of mine to give you an idea

View attachment 51278
What wheels are those & fit? Sorry I know you went threw a lot above but I'd quite like a set and really have no idea about fitment etc apart from actual size.. Cheers

What wheels are those & fit? Sorry I know you went threw a lot above but I'd quite like a set and really have no idea about fitment etc apart from actual size.. Cheers
The are the same as mine, BBS CH-R in satin anthracite. Same spec as mine too, see above.

Reactions: alijnclarke
Cheers, will have to have a look at them.. Was worried they wouldn't shut the hatch but that pic proved they do

19x8.5 et45 front
19x9.5 et40 rear

At standard height -235/35/19 all round
IMG 20140928 190110

IMG 20140922 230842

They still manage to tuck in once lowered so won't matter too much what you choose
IMG 20150216 194517

Had to change the front tyres to 215/35/19 to fit then fronts in the arches as the liner is wider than the rear

As Naughts said, they're 8.5" by 19", offset is ET+48, with 235/35/19 tyres.

& they're ******' lovely.... :D:D

Reactions: naughts4187
Cheers for the help, had a look at prices and was pleasantly surprised (been looking at some Vossen wheels also..). Hopefully these will suit my sepang hatch

Have a search for @Rabbit222, he's got a set of these on a sepang saloon and they look fantastic. :cool:

Had a look and they do look awesome. Will they be okay with out spacers do you think? Currently it's all stock, but maybe a set of coilovers in time

Had a look and they do look awesome. Will they be okay with out spacers do you think? Currently it's all stock, but maybe a set of coilovers in time

No spacers required, it's a straight fit at 8.5 x 19 at ET 48, with room to spare under the arch if you want to add a spacer later and plenty of room to lower the car later if you fancy.

Go on, you know you want to.....

Last edited:
I do want to! It's between those and the OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Graphite wheels.. decisions!

I do want to! It's between those and the OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Graphite wheels.. decisions!

The OZ is a lovely wheel, have you tried the configurator on the OZ UK website? :)

Yeap had a play with the configurator, but it doesn't show 'real' colours so it makes it hard to visualise what they'd look like :(

I think i may go to wheel base in manchester and have a look at them both

Yeap had a play with the configurator, but it doesn't show 'real' colours so it makes it hard to visualise what they'd look like :(

I think i may go to wheel base in manchester and have a look at them both
I bought my alloys from these guys, top service and a really good price as well!

Glad to know they're good, website is pretty good and they seem to have a lot of wheels in stock.

Still can't make my mind up on what I want.. Kind of thinking maybe I should just wait a bit and get a set of vossens.. Trouble is only a couple of places seem to stock those

Yeah they're who I've been chatting with, trouble is they're miles away from home and work (Manchester or Ipswich)

Glad to know they're good, website is pretty good and they seem to have a lot of wheels in stock.

Still can't make my mind up on what I want.. Kind of thinking maybe I should just wait a bit and get a set of vossens.. Trouble is only a couple of places seem to stock those
I spoke to them a few times via email and phone as this is the first time I've changed alloy wheels and to be honest I had no clue what I was doing . but they were more than happy to explain everything. Tip though. Do not buy the alloy wheel packages! I bought the tyres from black circles and saved myself over £300

I'm in winter mode right now but last year I was running 8.5x19 ET 45 all round on H&R springs with no issues at all, sits nice with that set up but considering 5mm spacers for the rear when they go back on and should pose no problems.

Reactions: Louay
This is the setup i'm going with.
I got G.A.S Airride at the workshop, not fitted yet.

8.5x20 ET45 in the front - 215/30/20
9.5x20 ET57 - 235/30/20 with 3mm spacers and had 4.5mm cut of the rear of the wheel so it will fit.

Pictures before we cut of 4.5mm:

17btiv.jpg

YtZ7Czt.jpg

Reactions: Steph67

9.5x20 ET57 - 235/30/20 with 3mm spacers and had 4.5mm cut of the rear of the wheel so it will fit.

17btiv.jpg

YtZ7Czt.jpg
Still can't understand why anyone would want to put a rival's set of alloys on an Audi? each to their own. suppose if they like it that's all that matters.

Exactly. It has to look special.
Standard Audi rims are boring on a Audi, because then it looks like all the other cars.

Sorry but I partially disagree. Some but not all audi alloys maybe considered boring but I don't think Mercedes are at the forefront of cutting edge design when it comes to rims. I can see your alloys have a chrome mirror finish which in my opinion offer a bit too much bling but again if you like them then that's what matters. why didn't you just buy a merc?

Damn, you are so conservative.
But fair enough.

I don't really like Mercedes, but i like their alloys. I like Porsche alloys aswell.

But why didn't you buy a RS5 when you have RS5 alloys on your S3? :)

Well updating, i did 10mm spacers in front, 15mm rear + h&r coilovers, no rubbing at all, next step is choosing a nice set of 19"

010A856C-6A38-4077-81E7-58B2B337BF9A.jpg
[/URL]

Reactions: Steph67
Well updating, i did 10mm spacers in front, 15mm rear + h&r coilovers, no rubbing at all, next step is choosing a nice set of 19"

010A856C-6A38-4077-81E7-58B2B337BF9A.jpg
[/URL]

Looking good, sitting nicely. Still plenty of room too :D

Will look fantastic with a 19" wheel, have you decided on width / offset?

How are you finding the ride with the coilovers?

Last edited:
Looking good, sitting nicely. Still plenty of room too :D

Will look fantastic with a 19" wheel, have you decided on width / offset?

How are you finding the ride with the coilovers?

It feels great , my previous s3 had bilstein pss10 coilovers, they were more comfortable , this are good but it feels bumpy....... Still very good suspension, I'll order a set of 19x8.5 with a 45 mm offset, I think that's the safe combo

Reactions: naughts4187
Hi just got my S3 a month ago and looking at a 19" setup the couple of wheels I've looked at is 8.5x19 ET45...wondering if anyone with this setup has pics looking down the side of the car and pointing down at wings, just worried that they will stick out wings etc.

Cheers

17btiv.jpg

YtZ7Czt.jpg

Hi,concerning your tyre setup ,I’m thinking of 215/35/18 front and 225/35/18 rear on my S3 8Y would they interfere with the Quattro setup as with you I’m putting coil overs on and want a front to rear rake,seems you know about rim setups ,what do you think?
Cheers.