Wheel Dilemma, please help!

J4MMYz

Reaction score
I was pretty disappointed to notice last night when I shone my iPhone's camera light at the wheels on my brand new car that i've washed only 3 times have got tonnes of fine scratches all over, some have worse patchy area's but it's mainly around the polished/chrome bits of the wheel...

I had a light on the wheel to see if there was anymore marks on it, as it was something to do whilst waiting for the screen to defreeze, because I have noticed the odd, noticeable and deep scratch, starting to pop up on the polished area's, but then found the whole alloy is scratched very finely from washing...

So, I wash the wheels with AutoGlym Clean Wheels (am going to change to Custom since it's non acidic, but surely the acid hasn't done the scratching..) - I usually spray the stuff on (alloys are dry, this might be the problem) then wet the brush and scrub, then rinse off with a power washer. I think the deep scratches could be blamed on my brush, I press in hard to get all the bristles (it is a very soft brush, so bristles is the wrong word) so it can get into those pesky spoke area's, but i'm guessing the rubber head of the brush is rubbing the cr@p into the polished part of the alloy, causing those noticeable marks...

I don't really know what else to do, how do you clean your wheels? I'm thinking of wetting the alloy first, spray cleaner on, rub (giggety), and wash off. I don't know how to get around the head of the brush scratching the polished area though, since I can't then get into the wheel spoke to clean it, it already can't get fully in anyway! There are a few marks off of the polished area though, I don't know how the heck they are getting there.

Needing suggestions, maybe a new brush(s) is in order... if anyone could give me some recommendations, that'd be great. ****** posh wheels, wish they were standard lol. I've posted a few pics of the drivers side alloy - yes this is all on one alloy :(

Oh, they are a little dirty at the moment by the way

IMG 0055

IMG 0054

I wash my alloys 1st with pressure wash, then spray on my product let it dwell a wee bit, pressure wash that off then wash wheels with a micro fibre mitt and soap/or a wee bit of wheel cleaner. No scratches like what you have above. :(

Agreed, before you wash any external surface you should always give it a quick blast with the hose or pressure washer to remove as mush of the dirt as possible. Exactly the same goes if you are washing the bodywork too. Any dirt that is on the surface will be sandwiched between the brush and the alloy and could cause scratches. If the brush is very firm this could also cause a scratch on (comparatively) soft lacquer too. Ensure the brush has no exposed metal parts too or these will cause a scratch if they come into contact with the wheel.

The cleaners themselves cannot cause scratching, it is one of the physical actions you have done in the agitation phase of the clean.

Hope that helps

Reactions: David83S3
Thanks guys.

I think my problem is rubbing it in, instead of washing it off first then rubbing. Ill give it a go, I just bought the non acidic wheel cleaner from AutoGlym, and it came with 2 free little detail brushes, so that will stop me pressing in hard with the brush to get into the spokes, only way to find out is if I notice the marks getting worse, but that will be a problem since I already have some now :(

Oh, and as for the paint I use SnowFoam, power wash that off, then Autoglym shampoo + two bucket method and grit guards, washing top to bottom, power wash it off, then go round the wheel arches/underneath the car (sills and bottom of bumpers i mean) + Chrome exhaust with a separate wash mitt - then dry with microfibre towels, but I don't dry the underneath/arches.

If I could do something better, let me know. I've washed it nearly every week so far, only 4 weeks and have a few light scratches on the paint, but then again you can never stop them, period. Which is a shame..

If the marks are fine and not too deep you may be able to polish them out with car polish. Always worth testing a hidden area before you dive in though just in case it doesn't leave you with a finish you like.

Reactions: David83S3
If the marks are fine and not too deep you may be able to polish them out with car polish. Always worth testing a hidden area before you dive in though just in case it doesn't leave you with a finish you like.

I did think about that, since the shiny polished area's just look dull from the scratches, and I cannot feel them with my finger nail. Might try that on one area and see what it's like. Might just leave it, nobody will come up to my wheels and take the p1ss or something :p

What ever you clean, if you rub dirt around you will get scratches. The idea is to remove as much dirt from the surface as humanly possible without an mechanical intervention. Even a brush rubbing dirt round will cause scrathes and scores. Sadly its not possible to get everything off but get as close as you can.

But if you're snow foaming the car why are you not snow foaming the wheels (and even under the wheel arches too)? Two bucket method and separate mitt from the one you use on the body.

If you take action now you may get them back. Try Meguiars Scratch X, its very mild but works a treat with a little hard work (available from Halfrauds). Then use a specific wheel wax of which there are many, that will make the dirt and brake deposits easier to remove. In my humble opinion if you treat the wheels with the same care as the body there is absolutely no reason to ever use wheel cleaners.

161 large

What ever you clean, if you rub dirt around you will get scratches. The idea is to remove as much dirt from the surface as humanly possible without an mechanical intervention. Even a brush rubbing dirt round will cause scrathes and scores. Sadly its not possible to get everything off but get as close as you can.

But if you're snow foaming the car why are you not snow foaming the wheels (and even under the wheel arches too)? Two bucket method and separate mitt from the one you use on the body.

If you take action now you may get them back. Try Meguiars Scratch X, its very mild but works a treat with a little hard work (available from Halfrauds). Then use a specific wheel wax of which there are many, that will make the dirt and brake deposits easier to remove. In my humble opinion if you treat the wheels with the same care as the body there is absolutely no reason to ever use wheel cleaners.

View attachment 49460

Only reason I don't snow foam then clean the wheels is because I don't want to splash break dust water around the wings, then again I guess I could snow foam the wheels first, clean them, then snow foam the car etc etc,

Would you snow foam the wheels first then use the cleaner, or cleaner first then snow foam?

I'll try that scratch X, thanks for the suggestion - it shouldn't harm the wheel or lacquer though?

Once you've done as suggested above, you should seal your wheels to add some extra protection and to make future cleaning easier. I've used PoorBoys Wheel Sealant which was easy to apply and looks good.

I swear by Wheel Woolies - softest wheel brushes ever and the set of 3 reaches every nook and cranny.

Reactions: jetron and naughts4187
I swear by Wheel Woolies - softest wheel brushes ever and the set of 3 reaches every nook and cranny.
I notice you have the same wheels as J4MMYz , have you gained any faint scratches to the wheels using these brushes ? might get a set of these as long as they don't scratch .I will have the same wheels when my A3 arrives .

Not the slightest sign of any scratches. I wash my wheels only with car shampoo and NEVER use wheel cleaner. I did on my last car and the wheels were never the same again.

I bought the set of three but added the angled one as well which gets behind the "spokes". They are horribly expensive but so far look like they will last. But only time will tell.

Reactions: naughts4187 and wooder
Yeah the set of 3 is 40 quid on Amazon..

If I used scratch x would it remove any protectant coats on the wheel or should I all be fine? If it will I won't bother, as its not that bad and they won't stay perfect forever however hard you try

Last edited:
Here's my process:

Seal with auto finesse mint rims.
spray with snow foam.
Agitate lightly with wheel woolie.
Wash with soft mitt & shampoo of choice, usually poor boys.
Dry with microfibre.
Apply Werkstat prime - incredible nano layer stuff.
Buff.
Apply poor boys wheel paste.
Buff.
Stand back and admire.

Never, ever use a brush to wash wheels, unless you're running steelies for winter.

Yes, I asked my daughter to get me a set of Wheel Woolies for my birthday. The whole family is taking the p*ss about how expensive they were!
But they are really good.
I just spray the wheels with citrus pre-wash, jetwash, shampoo, jet wash. That brings them up fine. But I am finding a small amount of the black deposits staying in the corners, even when agitated with the mitt and/woolie. I don't want to rub any harder, so thinking of getting some specific cleaner/protection.
Any recommendations?

Would a noodle mitt be a good idea to use? That'd be good to get into some areas with

EDIT: actually yeah I'm liking the idea of using one, I'll buy a separate one to dedicate one to it.

Anyway, if I use scratch x on the wheels it won't take anything protective off the wheels will it?

Last edited:
Yeah a noodle mitt is what I have for the wheels.

I have 3 mitts in total, 1 noodle for the wheels, 1 noodle for under lower sills/inside doors/down hinge posts etc and 1 Lambwool mitt for main bodywork.

It won't take you too long to pick up lot's and lot's of detailing equipment.. :)

Yeah a noodle mitt is what I have for the wheels.

I have 3 mitts in total, 1 noodle for the wheels, 1 noodle for under lower sills/inside doors/down hinge posts etc and 1 Lambwool mitt for main bodywork.

It won't take you too long to pick up lot's and lot's of detailing equipment.. :)

Basically the same as me.

lambswool mitt for body
noodle mitt for sills/area's that are underneath/wheel arch

I'll get one for the wheels now

I used to do professional detailing (still do occasionally) and i found the best way to clean wheels was to use a mid range-power pressure wash first, then using ordinary washing up liquid and a microfibre clean the wheels, wipe down with a wet microfibre (not the same one used to wash). It's also a good idea to put some sort of protection (wax) after cleaning them. Much like the way you would clean the car and then wax it. Avoid a dedicated wheel cleaner on wheels that are scratched as it gets beneath the lacquer on the wheel and degrades them, i personally avoid them with any wheels, washing up liquid really is the best way.

So does everybody think that using megs scratch X will be safe on the wheels? Just want to get the fine ones out of the shiny polished parts, as it looks hazy at the moment and is annoying me

Probably not too helpful J4MMYz but I honestly can't comment re using the megs scratch x on your wheels. I guess only someone who has can help you - the rest is pure conjecture. Sorry not be more helpful but I don't want to guess the result.

I could use an answer from Mark from Autoglym right now lol

WASHING UP LIQUID?!!!!! Never, EVER near my car! It's highly concentrated salt solution and will promote corrosion+++

I've a friend that uses washing up liquid, as soon as its raining, he goes out there with the washing up liquid and a sponge, lets the rain wash off the suds etc.

His car is a ford C-Max and it doesn't get a lot of love.

Fairly sure that I've seen Fairy Liquid (et al) recommended for stripping wax and sealant off. Assuming that to be true, I'd be wary of using it on any sealed surface, including wheels, if you don't fancy reapplying your chosen protection.

The Salt Content in Most washing up liquids is quite low, in fact the main ingredient is water! And I'm talking a solution make up of 5ml per 10litre bucket of warm water, and besides you rinse it all off with fresh water once washed. Doesn't matter what you wash your wheels with, the fact is you will more than likely take off your wax/sealant when you go at them with your brushes and acidic sprays (most wheel cleaners). Hence the reason I mentioned using a micro fibre and giving the wheels a wax post wash which you can pretty much guarantee most people don't which is why people end up with dull looking scratched wheels, much like the OP's. As for using it as a wax stripper - yes but this is done using neat concentrated detergent. I mean seriously guys, do you not think there would be people with their hands falling to pieces due to washing up liquid?! Anything that is skin friendly certainly is not going to hurt your alloy wheels! Check the ingredients on your alloy wheel cleaning spray bottles, I think you'll find the majority contain far more harmful and corrosive ingredients. If people really don't believe in washing up liquid then the only dedicated wheel cleaner I can suggest is ValetPro Billberry wheel cleaner, it's not a spray bottle like the cheap gimmicky stuff everyone uses and ruins their wheels with, it's a liquid that you dilute with water. Its really quite good and costs about a tenner per litre.

Last edited:
And for the oldies amongst us, remember the Fairy Liquid TV ad from the 1960s:

"Hands that do dishes feel as soft as your face!"