Wheel cleaning tips?

Buxton2901

Reaction score
So I cleaned my wheels for the first time since buying the car.
They were refurbished before I bought it.
But im bit happy with the results. Tiny scratches in the face and brake dust residue that will not come off.
Any tips on how to keep them clean and scratch free?
I used autoglym wheel cleaner btw
Cheers
453c88501e2d3d9bdba176299f4d2e3d.jpg
815b7cace86aa2b26beeba5feb544467.jpg
26be602dd4656025028be10bf7270a2f.jpg
75fcd3b6c3b50bf422120faa3b28c410.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DonkeyIce
Domestic Flash for cleaning alloy wheels

For some time now I've been recommending the use of domestic Flash (you most probably have some already under the sink, so it ain't expensive) for the removal of brake dust from alloy wheels and here again I recommend the product.

I use a mix of 3 to 5% Flash to water, spray on, and within 2-minutes sponge/hose/wash off.

This has worked for me for 20-years and more with a variety of alloy wheels on both classic and modern cars.

I then polish off with a light spray of Autoglym Rapid Aqua Wax and here you are, job done:

P1020353 ASN Avtar TT wheel

RS3 (pic #2) runs EBC Redstuff brake pads, the TT (pic #3) runs OEM.

Reactions: voorhees, Roadrunner146, DonkeyIce and 1 other person
So literally 5% flash to 95 water and that works eh?
I don't like the idea of using harsh chemicals on alloy wheels. But obviously need to brake down the brake dust.

So literally 5% flash to 95 water and that works eh?
I don't like the idea of using harsh chemicals on alloy wheels. But obviously need to brake down the brake dust.

If Flash was a "harsh chemical" then for sure it wouldn't be sold for domestic household use without a LARGE note of CAUTION on the bottle; in fact, the label suggests it can be used 'neat.'

Start with 1% Flash, just a splash of it in the water, and watch the brake dust lift and run-off.

You can see the 'colour' of the mix in my spray bottle and wine glass.

And I've the same style wheels as you on both my RS3 and A1.

Oh, and 7-years use on both the RS3 and TT.

Reactions: DonkeyIce and Buxton2901
Standard wash and wax if doing Normally seems to work well but only after
My own concoction of fleet clean and TFL, then with a bit of tar remover on a cloth for any spots, washed down again and then poor boys wheel sealant twice a year when swapping to and from winter wheels.

Wheels have lasted well in 5 years or so and still look good without scratches, only one refurb thanks to a clumsy tyre guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc and Buxton2901
If Flash was a "harsh chemical" then for sure it wouldn't be sold for domestic household use without a LARGE note of CAUTION on the bottle; in fact, the label suggests it can be used 'neat.'

Start with 1% Flash, just a splash of it in the water, and watch the brake dust lift and run-off.

You can see the 'colour' of the mix in my spray bottle and wine glass.

And I've the same style wheels as you on both my RS3 and A1.

Oh, and 7-years use on both the RS3 and TT.

Liking that idea! Looks the same colour as my de greaser spray - with Tesco’s own floor cleaner

Reactions: 45bvtc
Tescos floor cleaner ? Tell me more

Reactions: 45bvtc
Hey look what I found .

20180430 081151

The Woodberry 'flavour' smells divine .

Reactions: 45bvtc, DonkeyIce and NevMan
Liking that idea! Looks the same colour as my de greaser spray - with Tesco’s own floor cleaner

I'll be honest, I've used Flash at 100% strength with Spontex non-scratch sponge-scourers on other Audi owners wheels to get seriously brake-dust encrusted wheels clean, and everytime without issue; keeping 'em clean with a dash-of-Flash and some spray-on wipe-off wax is a no brainer...

P1050755 mod

Reactions: NevMan, DonkeyIce and Buxton2901
I've given the Flash a 2.5 month trial now and I'm sold .

I've been using it on wheels with evil OE brake pads with a 50/50 mix up to 3 weeks between cleans , spray and the brake dust starts to float away .

Reactions: NevMan, Buxton2901 and 45bvtc
I've given the Flash a 2.5 month trial now and I'm sold .

I've been using it on wheels with evil OE brake pads with a 50/50 mix up to 3 weeks between cleans , spray and the brake dust starts to float away .

That's GREAT news, Gazwould; now reduce the concentration of Flash to 10% and it'll still do the business....

And at £1.25 (ish) for 500ml and dilute it is for sure the most cost effective wheel and brake cleaner available:

Flash

But we prefer the "Crisp Lemons" to the "Woodberry" - that's what rs3copilot has under the sink and what I tend to 'borrow' ... :yes:

Reactions: NevMan and Buxton2901