1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel cleaning tips?

Buxton2901 Apr 29, 2018

1. Buxton2901

Buxton2901 Well-Known Member

So I cleaned my wheels for the first time since buying the car.
    They were refurbished before I bought it.
    But im bit happy with the results. Tiny scratches in the face and brake dust residue that will not come off.
    Any tips on how to keep them clean and scratch free?
    I used autoglym wheel cleaner btw
    Cheers[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DonkeyIce likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

Buy low dust ceramic pads .

4. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter Team Cornflower Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Audi RS3 Audi TT Audi A1

Domestic Flash for cleaning alloy wheels

For some time now I've been recommending the use of domestic Flash (you most probably have some already under the sink, so it ain't expensive) for the removal of brake dust from alloy wheels and here again I recommend the product.

I use a mix of 3 to 5% Flash to water, spray on, and within 2-minutes sponge/hose/wash off.

This has worked for me for 20-years and more with a variety of alloy wheels on both classic and modern cars.

I then polish off with a light spray of Autoglym Rapid Aqua Wax and here you are, job done:

P1020353.JPG ASN Avtar.jpg TT wheel.JPG

RS3 (pic #2) runs EBC Redstuff brake pads, the TT (pic #3) runs OEM.

5. Buxton2901

So literally 5% flash to 95 water and that works eh?
    I don't like the idea of using harsh chemicals on alloy wheels. But obviously need to brake down the brake dust.

6. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter Team Cornflower Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Audi RS3 Audi TT Audi A1

If Flash was a "harsh chemical" then for sure it wouldn't be sold for domestic household use without a LARGE note of CAUTION on the bottle; in fact, the label suggests it can be used 'neat.'

Start with 1% Flash, just a splash of it in the water, and watch the brake dust lift and run-off.

You can see the 'colour' of the mix in my spray bottle and wine glass.

And I've the same style wheels as you on both my RS3 and A1.

Oh, and 7-years use on both the RS3 and TT.

DonkeyIce and Buxton2901 like this.
  7. DonkeyIce

DonkeyIce Member

Standard wash and wax if doing Normally seems to work well but only after
    My own concoction of fleet clean and TFL, then with a bit of tar remover on a cloth for any spots, washed down again and then poor boys wheel sealant twice a year when swapping to and from winter wheels.

Wheels have lasted well in 5 years or so and still look good without scratches, only one refurb thanks to a clumsy tyre guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45bvtc and Buxton2901 like this.
  8. DonkeyIce

DonkeyIce Member

Liking that idea! Looks the same colour as my de greaser spray - with Tesco’s own floor cleaner

45bvtc likes this.
  9. Buxton2901

Tescos floor cleaner ? Tell me more

45bvtc likes this.
  10. Gazwould

Hey look what I found .

20180430_081151.jpg

The Woodberry 'flavour' smells divine .

45bvtc, DonkeyIce and q5man like this.
  11. 45bvtc

I'll be honest, I've used Flash at 100% strength with Spontex non-scratch sponge-scourers on other Audi owners wheels to get seriously brake-dust encrusted wheels clean, and everytime without issue; keeping 'em clean with a dash-of-Flash and some spray-on wipe-off wax is a no brainer...

P1050755 mod.jpg

q5man, DonkeyIce and Buxton2901 like this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. DonkeyIce

DonkeyIce Member

[​IMG] my degreaser, lasted 5 years so far haha

q5man likes this.
  14. Gazwould

I've given the Flash a 2.5 month trial now and I'm sold .

I've been using it on wheels with evil OE brake pads with a 50/50 mix up to 3 weeks between cleans , spray and the brake dust starts to float away .

q5man, Buxton2901 and 45bvtc like this.
  15. 45bvtc

That's GREAT news, Gazwould; now reduce the concentration of Flash to 10% and it'll still do the business....

And at £1.25 (ish) for 500ml and dilute it is for sure the most cost effective wheel and brake cleaner available:

Flash.JPG

But we prefer the "Crisp Lemons" to the "Woodberry" - that's what rs3copilot has under the sink and what I tend to 'borrow' ... :yes:

q5man and Buxton2901 like this.
  16. Gazwould

Yeah 10% or less for Redstuff pads...

17. 45bvtc

TT and A1 running OEM... :blink:

18. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Well-Known Member

ceramic coat them. Nothing sticks to them after that. Although I am going to give the flash a try on the wifes car

J.