wheel choices

Rallyman

LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM
Reaction score
OK, My 2000 QTS 10 spokes have seen better days they have already been refubed once and at least one is buckled and needs a breeze block attached to it to balance it.

I am looking at some second hand sets with tyres on Ebay, from TT's and golf etc.. Questions:

ET numbers my ones are ET45 - how much ET movement do I have on the Quattro model if I start changing the ET number ?

I have seen 7J x 17's with either 225 x 45 or 225 x 50 - how much will this screw the speedo up ?

Will I have problems with wheels fitted from later models ie. 2007 models fitted to my 2000 model ?

Cheers

Michael

youll have to get wheels from an a4 a6 or a8 as tt's and golfs use a differnt stud PDC, 5x110 on them and 5x112 on a4's etc

ive got 225/50/17 on mine lowered on coilovers and the tyres touch the ****** springs

Mmm interesting, the tqs is factory lowered, so this might be a standard fitment for the 10 spoke....?
SO, my 2000 A$ tqs is 112 and not 110 ? Mmm I didnt realise..... :-0
nice calculator pete!
Michael

youll have to get wheels from an a4 a6 or a8 as tt's and golfs use a differnt stud PDC, 5x110 on them and 5x112 on a4's etc

Early models true, later A3's etc used the 5x112 PCD also thou.

All A4's are 5x112 PCD.

8P A3 and the new TT as well as MK5 golf are all the same PCD as the A4, however they tend to have higher offsets, up around 50-55, and would need spacers.

Offsets between 35 and 45 are likely to be fine on an A4.

I've been looking for new rubber and wheels for the TQS and these came up and I bought them....... I wonder if they will fit ? :)

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Anybody know.... ? Will I need some spacers.......?

Michael

Ok, picked up said wheels and put them on.....

Does this look OK for a TQS? Whaddya think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

compared to the old ones:

However these are 8J ET 50's so don't agree with the suspension....

so I need 18mm adjustment according to: Wheel Offset Calculator

I am wondering if I got 15mm wheel spacers these will do the job, also..... this might end up poking out the wheels too much from the wheel arch???

Has any one really pushed the wheel size out this much on a A4 B5 ? The tyres are 245/45/17 so are a little taller.

Which type of wheel spacers do I go for longer bolt and a spacer plate or a plate bolted to the hub and use the original bolts? Can anyone recommend a make ?

Cheers

Michael

You've got two problems.

1. The offset is too high, but thats easily fixed with some spacing. Even a 10mm spacer dropping the rim to ET40 would probably work, perhaps a 12 or 15mm might be better though

2. The tyres are too large. You should be on 225/45r17. The extra 20mm on the width not only makes the tyre wider, but makes the sidewall taller (by around 10mm) which ensures they really dont fit properly. The problem you'll get is that by the time you've spaced it enough to clear the suspension (which may need more than 15mm) they'll be scrubbing the outer arches on every bump and turn.

The thinnest hubcentric spacer commonly available is a 12mm, so i'd be looking at running those, with extended bolts and some correctly sized tyres and they should fit great.

Ok, I got these as they were nice and cheap with a real decent set of tyres, the wheels are mint, so I have 3 choices....
1. Sell them and buy something that might be as good deal and that will fit.
2. Remove tyres and buy smaller tyres, sell old ones... but what tyres ? 225 45 17 are the original size but these are 8J's - I would be looking at 245 35 17's ?
3. Fit them anyway with the 15mm spacers and keep my fingers X'd ????

I wanted to keep the original style but the originals are in poor shape and need tyres soon, I have been quote about £250 for wheel refurb - yes the old ones need alot of TLC and a set of new rubber so I am looking at the best part of £600!!!

225's will be fine on 8J's

You can run 195 and 205's on 7J's without too much of a problem, and plenty folk run 225/40r18 on 8J 18's

OE S4 wheels are 7.5J and also run 225/45's

Its really upto you which approach you take, personally i'd want the correct size tyres on there, because from a practical and functional POV having the car scrape over every bump isnt very good, and if you bend the arch or damage the sidewall of the tyres due to it you'll be seriously ******.

If you like the rims, then look at selling the 245's on, and get some nice eagle f1's in the right size.

Last edited:
Mmm don't know about the F1's though???!!
I have 2 on the car at the mo, the insides are like 50p's - I thought the rear wheel bearings had gone until I put them on the front!
I will do some research on tyre sizes now and try the wheel spacers this weekend

oh dang....... these are 8.5J and not 8J doh