Wheel bolt thread pattern/length and wheel spacer FAQ

Meemo

Reaction score
night mare! bought new wheels that got tyred up this morning ready to go on, and the supplied bolts didn't fit at the back, had some shorter and longer ones sent for the different size spacers(5mm & 10mm spacers |35mm and 40mm bolts), but the longer ones seem to have a ever so slightly tighter packed thread pattern... so they won't thread into the hub boooooo, both are m14 1.5 so I am baffled why the shorter ones are fine, same supplier too who on the phone is very certain they sent the right ones cos they packed them themselves..

New problem for me, never had this when I have switched wheels in the past, but want to check out the facts before I order in new bolts.
A piccie just to break up the post
48378730507_bf6561c51c_b.jpg

Audi bolts are M14 1.5
The Audi default thread length is 28mm?
if you have 5mm spacers then you want 33mm? same way if you have 10mm spacers you want 38mm.. ?
I was sent 35mm and 40mm as they did not stock the 33/38 so I am assuming this is safe to do?

As for the thread pattern, am I assuming the M14 comes with different thread spacing since mine did not fit, and what should I be asking for if this is the case? or just a bad batch

ps. they are tapered before any asks that, that bit I know is fine :)

scratch that, sent pictures to the supplier and they have sent the wrong threads for the longers :) glad I am not going mad! new ones out on next day delivery. Saturday should have them on the car!

Reactions: TechNick