Wheel Bolt Covers Issue

Arcam

Reaction score
OK, it's a bit of a weird one but in the last 1400 miles (since new) I have gone through 2 sets of wheel bolt covers, they are pinging off when driving.

A couple of times I pressure washed the wheels I noticed they were a pretty loose fit, my RS4 before my RS3 never had this issue and it had the same sized wheel bolt heads (17mm) and style of cover.

I did think that someone was nicking them to start with <g> but I have now ruled this out, is anyone else having this issue?

Bit too messy solution for me as I will be removing the covers on a regular basis to replace pads, check wheel bolt torque etc (I do loads of track days) and with the heat from elevated brake temps the grease will run all over the place.

I like your thinking :)

I have flagged it up to Audi for a (hopefully) more permanent solution.

I didn't even spot they had covers :eek: will check upon my return to the car!

TX.

Never lost one yet Arcam and really can't understand how you are, however, I respectfully suggest a mm or two of silicon sealant to one face of the bolt prior to fitting the cap and that'll hold and allow you to remove the cap when you need to perform those oh so necessary RS3 tasks

PS: don't hold your breath waiting for Audi UK to come along with a solution; I've been waiting since 2011 for them to resolve a way more serious issue than loose wheel-bolt-caps but with my warranty now expired am no longer waiting on 'em...

I've lost all but 2 (as in 18 are gone!).

I wondered about just spraying the tops of the bolts black rather than finding some way to stick the covers on better.

Yep, same problem, just bought 10 new ones! Discovered that the new ones are a much tighter fit than the ones the car came with which were rattle fit at best, despite having the same part numbers. Will probably end up replacing all of the remaining ones as well!

Reactions: xssiiv
Ah that's interesting S3DBW. I'm waiting for a call back from my dealerships service manager now to see what they say. It'll be fixed under warranty either way.

What about some friction paste - used on CF road bike seat stems, so you don't need to tighten the bejesus out of the clamp?

Interesting, mine have started going missing as well.

LOL now that I've checked four missing so far!

whocn7.jpg

TX.

Dealer spoke to Audi Technical who said they had no reports - so he showed them this thread!
He's going to order a new set and see what they are like.

Yep, same problem, just bought 10 new ones! Discovered that the new ones are a much tighter fit than the ones the car came with which were rattle fit at best, despite having the same part numbers. Will probably end up replacing all of the remaining ones as well!
Do you have the part nr + where did you get them from?

TX.

I have experienced exactly the same thing! I also thought they were nicked. Then whilst washing the car noticed the about 25% that were left were a very loose fit. I haven't had this issue on any previous Audi including a 8p S3 & 8P RS3. I am not really that concerned as in the greater scheme of things is a pretty small issue. I will just tell the dealer at 1st service and get them replaced under warranty.......unless someone on this thread comes up with a easy fix or gets it acknowledged as an issue and altered replacements are available before hand as 1st service could be a while off, I have only done 2026 miles since 26 July.

Do you have the part nr + where did you get them from?

TX.

Part number is 4M0 601 173 B, just ordered them thru my local Dealer, note this part number is for the standard bolt cover, not the ones for the locking wheel nuts

Thanks for all the replies, there looks to be a definite QC issue with the bolt covers on the RS3, I might well get a set of the RS4 ones (silver only) as they were a much tighter fit and despite 8 track days last year I never lost a single one.

I am posting some pics up shortly (in a new thread) of another potential issue I have found and some info on the tyres.

After seeing your post I checked mine. I had 4 missing off one side rear & 3 off the other side rear. Front ones are all still on.
Went into Coventry Audi on Thursday and told them and mentioned this thread.
Service desk said I had to pay for them myself. I told them no chance. They finally agreed to give me them free. They ordered them and they came in the following day. There is a revised part number apparently. I fitted them myself and they seem a very tight fit

Reactions: RGBARGEE and Terminator x
After seeing your post I checked mine. I had 4 missing off one side rear & 3 off the other side rear. Front ones are all still on.
Went into Coventry Audi on Thursday and told them and mentioned this thread.
Service desk said I had to pay for them myself. I told them no chance. They finally agreed to give me them free. They ordered them and they came in the following day. There is a revised part number apparently. I fitted them myself and they seem a very tight fit

That's brilliant news, I will speak to my dealer again, thanks for the post.

Any chance of someone posting the old/new part numbers?

My dealer (Preston Audi) have confirmed that modified part(s) are available and will be shipping me a full set out, I will try and get the new part numbers(s) posted assuming they come with the bag they will ship me, failing that I will ask for them.

Reactions: josedebardi
Popped into the dealer today and they fitted a whole new set (only the locking nut ones were still on by now.

Part number is 4M0 601 173 B
The Master Tech speculated that the B was a revised version over the original loose ones. New ones were all a good snug fit :)