Wheel Bearing

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Took my car for MOT yesterday and was told that my rear wheel bearings are loose... or may need replacing....

Can I tighten them myself or will I need a special tool?

also how easy are they to replace?

cheers

They can be tightened,the preload is set with the hub nut, but it might be an idea to strip the hubs and check the bearings/races for wear before regreasing and resetting them.

Simply winding the nut up probably isnt the best idea.

well it's got a bit of play in the rear wheels so when the weather improves i'll try opening it up to have a look.
will i need any special tools if i have to replace them?

they aren't expensive to replace, i paid around £96 inc vat, labour and parts for both of mine recently

The bearings are about a tenner each.

To remove and grease them you need nothing more than basic tools, some pliers, screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner for the hub nut, 13mm spanner for the caliper bolts and a 8mm hex key for the carrier (you might prefer to use a hex key that attaches to a ratchet though as they are pretty tight)

Just make sure that when you tighten them, you only just "nip up" the nut, dont go winding it on as tight as you can, just enough to remove the play.

A useful guide is that you should be able to move the thrust washer with a screwdriver and there should be no play feelable with the wheel fitted.

thanks guys,
good thing i can do it with basic tools.
will let you know when i attempt it and how i get on.

The bearings are about a tenner each.

To remove and grease them you need nothing more than basic tools, some pliers, screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner for the hub nut, 13mm spanner for the caliper bolts and a 8mm hex key for the carrier (you might prefer to use a hex key that attaches to a ratchet though as they are pretty tight)

Just make sure that when you tighten them, you only just "nip up" the nut, dont go winding it on as tight as you can, just enough to remove the play.

A useful guide is that you should be able to move the thrust washer with a screwdriver and there should be no play feelable with the wheel fitted.

oooh yeh... ******** knuckles, even managed to **** me elbow off the upper suspension arm last time........:rock:. Bring on the TCP!!!!

Sorry Izzy.. Good luck. :O)

think i'll need the 1st aid kit at hand then.... thanks for the heads up.

Izzy, spray the hex bolts holding the carriers with plus gas or wd40 for a few days before atempting to remove and make shure you have a long breaker bar and a very good quality 8mm hex socket. Make shure you dont round the bolt head off and the bearing kit is £15+ VAT each in euro car parts(trade price). Go to local halfords store and buy a tub of bearing grease(about a fiver) and clean the abs ring with a wire brush to remove rust. You will also need a long solid screwdriver and a heavy clubhamer to knock the races off the hub. Also make shure you pay attention to the way the bearings go as they conical and are a very tight fit ! Put plenty grease in the hub.