Wheel bearing

rob0904

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a bad wheel bearing it seems I've tried moving tyres round, no better. I can't feel any play in it but it's getting loader now.

I'm quiet happy to change it myself but I can't seem to find anywhere selling a complete assembly.

My A6 is a 2015 2.0 ultra if that makes any difference.

If anyone knows where get them from could you post me a link. Thanks

I replaced one on my BITDi in December.
I Struggled to find the hub and bearing assembled so paid a garage 120 to put an SKF bearing in

Found one on ebay but would you trust that bearing?

I was hoping it was tyres as there getting close to the limit I'm out of luck

I replaced mine last year. I bought one from ebay from a firm in the UK. I've never had any issues since. I enjoyed the work too! :D

I just did the bearing hub presses out with ease.

Getting the bearing housing out off the car is harder

Reactions: rob0904
How did u get the bearing out of the up right? I've been hammering mine for about 5 hours no movement at all.

I used a square ended chisel and took it back and forth moving 10mm clockwise then 15 cm anti clockwise.

Think I used some heat on the first one I did and wd40.

They bind in well. Once it was moving circular I kept going anti clockwise and it screwed itself out. It's not threaded but every knock round it came out a bit. You can get a bar in and help it.

Iirc once it was 10mm to 15mm forward it fell out.

Mine hasn't moved a single millimetre, hammered sideways, from the back on bolts and a chisel between the faces.

Seen people using slide hammers but I can't see them moving this ******.

The chisel you used was it a proper bolsters chisel. Might be what I was doing wrong I only have wood chisels.

Reactions: Buxton2901
I read the stories of people spending hours trying to get the bearing out, thats why I thought it was better to pay a garage as they have the right tools and probably know all the tricks etc.
Good luck mate

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Going to have another go at it today, if it doesn't play ball it will off to a garage.

Let's see what today brings haah

I've got it off with a bolter chisel but the rain has beaten me. only got to bolt it back together which is such a good felling.

nice one the chisel I used was a blunt rectangle ended one. the end measures 10mm x 30mm approx. I hit the lugs to spin the mounting round if that make sense.

Think its a old builder chisel it from my dads arsenal of tools lol

All back together now but I think the other side has gone tootoo, just this one was louder..... God I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah, was a bit of wiseful thinking. The noise from this one hid the noise from the other..... Another day under the car then. At least I have more of an idea next time.

Just to update this thread. I've done the other side. Still a pig of a job but it's done and car is sounding smooth again. Just got to see how long they last.

So £140 for 2 complete bearing assemblies and many hours in the wheel arches.
IMG 20200208 153750

IMG 20200216 091932

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_092049.jpg
    IMG_20200216_092049.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20200216_092157.jpg
    IMG_20200216_092157.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200216_092236.jpg
    IMG_20200216_092236.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20200215_172108.jpg
    IMG_20200215_172108.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
Reactions: CHEZ and Buxton2901
Well done mate. You have more patience than I do

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What were some symptoms that you knew they needed to me replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whirring, humming sounds from 40 mph...

Tried swapping wheels around to see if the sound moved, in the hope it was a tyre...

Once I did the first one which was the loudest I heard the other side was moaning too.

Sounding quiet now tho