Wheel bearing question.

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just a quick question in regards to replacing wheel bearings on the B6 A4.

Will I require the hubs to be pressed out of the old bearing and into the new one?

I have purchased 2 new bearing assemblies (SKF) for the front as one of them is starting to howl.
Hoping to get the job done in one night if I can - that is if they don't need pressing.

Cheers!

once you get the bearing/hub assembly out of the uprights, you can wind the bolts down the threads in the bearing and it will press against the hub and remove itself. This may leave part of the bearing casing on the hub but comes off easily.

I had to remove my uprights as the assembly was heavily corroded in. They had been removed before for arms and greased so pinch bolt was ok.

Thanks Neil, how about pushing the hubs into the new bearing? I have a bush removal tool so hoping this may do the trick?

I used a press, didn't take much pressure I imagine a bench vice would be enough. You could always put the hubs in the freezer for a few hours with the peas, then a quick assembly in the kitchen if you have any trouble.

ha ha!
i like that! i work in maufacturing the hubs on 90% of vag, and the 'contraction' of cold metal is crucial in assembly!
good advise there!

It's surprising how much you can shrink metals in the freezer. Liquid nitrogen is even better!

they are do-able in one night, i have just done both fronts on mine in around 4 hours, but i had to have them pressed off and on unless you buy 2 hubs from the scrap yard and get them ready with the new bearings on and do a swap.

Cheers for the pointers.

I thought the same swarcup - so will be getting a 2nd hand hub to push into the new bearing to swap one over, then will use the one taken off my car to push into the 2nd bearing!
I have one of these;
Universal Press and Pull Sleeve Kit Remove Install Bushes Bearings Garage Tool | eBay

So hoping that will do the job, at least with a spare hub I can at least get one ready for swapping as opposed to removing them from the car and finding I cant (car is a daily)

Well - found a few garages that were happy to remove the hub and install in a new bearing - however a few of them stated that its common for the hub to get damaged by the bearing if it is dead - and may not be worth chancing it on the day.

Took a look online at the prices of new hubs, normally I would just go ahead and purchase new ones - however I can only get hold of febi ones from ECP which are £87! (they are cheaper from Rexbo but don't think the current bearing will give me enough time to have it delivered)
I also decided I am tight, even though I do a lot of miles in the A4 I really didn't want to spend that much!

So, I purchased this lot;

Plan is to swap over the bearings and hubs from the uprights above, then see what the condition of the hubs are like that will be coming off my car - if they are decent then I will have them pushed into the new bearings.

The bonus is, the uprights above came with 312mm brakes - which I plan to sell (which will cover the amount I paid)

What a pa-lava!

I have done a few bearings and they are piece of pi$$

by far the easiest way was this

use and angle grinder and cut a slot into the bearing housing where the bolt is as close to the upright as you can and cutting through the bolt this saves trying to remove the seized bolts....you should get new bolts with the bearing

then use a cold chisel in the slots a bit at a time all the way round to get the bearing out

then press the hub off anyway you can....all the ones I have done came off really easy with a puller and a socket on the lip of the hub

then use a bench vice to fit the new bearing

time taken about an hour!!

I have done a few bearings and they are piece of pi$$

by far the easiest way was this

use and angle grinder and cut a slot into the bearing housing where the bolt is as close to the upright as you can and cutting through the bolt this saves trying to remove the seized bolts....you should get new bolts with the bearing

then use a cold chisel in the slots a bit at a time all the way round to get the bearing out

then press the hub off anyway you can....all the ones I have done came off really easy with a puller and a socket on the lip of the hub

then use a bench vice to fit the new bearing

time taken about an hour!!

Wish I would have read this last night!

Was using a garage in work (with lights and a roof!) so didn't have all my tools - only took the ones I thought I would need, the rest were 15 miles away at home.

The bearing carriers preferred to stay in the upright rather than coming out (bolts came out fine) - ended up fannying about for the best part of an hour trying to hammer flat screwdrivers in between the upright and hub carrier, couldn't get enough swing on the hammer to hit from behind with an extension bar - ended up removing the uprights, laying them on the floor and giving them a beat down.

All done now anyway, the dodgy bearing was quite loose and sounded like a skateboard on tarmac when spun!