Wheel Bearing gone or something else?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey all, happy bank holiday.

I had this weird sound come out of nowhere the other day and it sound worrying.

I can only hear it on the motorway or fast driving and it sounds like a prop engine plane but a lot high pitch.

When I speed up the sound gets louder and when I slow down it starts to go to a slow wurrrr wurrr wurrr

When I turn the corner to make my drivers side pull into the road the sound goes, but when I do the same on the passenger side I can still hear it.

I have just spent nearly £1000,00 on all new Elec brakes, pads and discs all around and there is nothing stuck in the caliper.

The vehicle had a full service at the end of february and everything is all good, including tyres.

Tracking and balancing was done and my car does pull to one side, so its not that.

Car is high milage with a dodgy history, well not dodgy but unkown, but I have loved it since I have had it for over a year.

Any thoughts all?

Thanks so much

If you don’t think it’s brakes then have a look at cv joints and the gaiters to make sure there are good and not split.
Have a look at the wheels and make sure it’s not a balancing weight falling off abs fouling the brakes.

If you don’t think it’s brakes then have a look at cv joints and the gaiters to make sure there are good and not split.
Have a look at the wheels and make sure it’s not a balancing weight falling off abs fouling the brakes.

I did not think about the balancing weights, would they really cause a loud noise if one came off?

I know if its the bearings it will cause stress on the CV joints, but TBH I would not even know where to look, I dont have anything to take wheels off.

Easier to get to a garage up on a lift and look underneath for leaks and splits gaiters, not easy to see on Jacks on driveway. I’ve had balance weight kinda half come off before. Basically a strip of weights and half came unstuck and it made a weird noise. Think it was hitting the caliper on every rotation.

I will check the weights, if not will take it to my Audi Indy
I wont be able to check anything else as I dont have a jack or anything, and even if I did I would not know what I was looking at LOL

Thanks mate, really appreciate the help

Check for a stone stuck between the brake disc and the backing plate.

also if you jack up each corner and check for play to see if anything is apparent wheel bearing wise, give it a good wiggle.

a bad bearing will also give off heat so after a drive see if any alloy wheel is hotter than the other (would help indicate which wheel bearing is bad)

Reactions: AlS3BE
Try swapping your your wheels round, opposite corner to corner. Sounds like your tyres are shark toothing.

My car is booked in for the 12th , told the Audi Indy and he said its almost certainly a bearing.
I hope its not too expensive

Turns out it was the front drivers wheel bearing.
He did the front passenger one as well as he said they were the same, so will have the same wear expectancy and will go soon.
He did the both for £330.00 which I think is quite good for a Audi Indy