Wheel bearing damage? Is it safe…

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I had someone hit me about 2 weeks ago and there was some cosmetic damage to the wheel arch and some scratches but I didn’t think anything happened to the actual mechanics of the car.

Well, it turns out I was wrong. I noticed a droning noise that sounded like road noise and today I finally decided to ask Audi. The technician thought it might be my wheel bearing in the front driver wheel.

Has anyone got any experience with this? It may well be that the car can’t be repaired for another month and I need to drive it around 200 mile a week. Is it safe?

You can normally make the noise either worse or better by slightly turning the steering wheel whist travelling straight if its a wheel bearing.

You are asking a question that's difficult to answer, as a rule wheel bearings wear and get noisy over time, a 'damaged' one might get no worse over many thousands of miles, or it could do the opposite and degrade quickly, I have changed noisy bearings and not seen much wrong, I have also changed them and found the inner or outer bearing race cracked :(

Reactions: NHN
As above, in most circumstances it's fine to drive but it's more a personal choice if you want to do that or not if there's no hugely noticeable or any difference in drivability.

Get on a quiet parking lot and do circles with your windows opened, if you can hear the sound getting louder if you turn then you might have some issues and I wouldn't drive the car.

There are no noises turning the car. Also no noise at low speeds at all. Even when going 60-70 it’s only noticeable if I have no music on.

Audi put it on the ramp and the technician said probably continuing to drive it will just make it noisy. But no guarantees.

I’ve visited two repair places and I’m hoping they come back to me tomorrow and give me some fast dates they can get the car in BUT one of them did tell me March.

I am looking at March I think for repairs… I am not happy. Now sure what to do with the car. Already done 500 or so miles on this damaged bearing and although no pulling, no worse a noise I don’t want to make my car worse.

I am looking at March I think for repairs… I am not happy. Now sure what to do with the car. Already done 500 or so miles on this damaged bearing and although no pulling, no worse a noise I don’t want to make my car worse.
Speak to your insurance company, tell them the car is unsafe to drive, they will then arrange for a coutesy car for you to use, cost will be covered by the person that hit you anyhow.

Speak to your insurance company, tell them the car is unsafe to drive, they will then arrange for a coutesy car for you to use, cost will be covered by the person that hit you anyhow.
They told me only the repair garage will provide a courtesy car. Unfortunately I didn’t get courtesy car cover.

They told me only the repair garage will provide a courtesy car. Unfortunately I didn’t get courtesy car cover.
I had the same issue in 2020, got a car from Enterprise, had it for 6 weeks Mercedes GLE. As the accident was 100% the other drivers fault, Enterprise just added the costs onto the claim, it was my insurer (Aviva) that put me in touch with them.

is it safe ...

Reactions: kayemill
Someone hit me @8YARWY and I’m back at home - and I will not be driving the car again until it is repaired - tonight I started hearing high pitched noises when pulling away initially - they go away but they were not there last week so that is a change for the worse.

Lucky for me I do have YouTube cars for reviews the next 2-3 weeks during which time hopefully I will be able to get the car into repair and get a courtesy car.

The Audi dealer found these scratches all the way around the inside of the driver wheel. These were not caused by me; and in fact I do not know how these would even be possible as they are inside the wheel and so I don’t see how anything could ever come into contact in that area?

I think this happened either during transport or at the original dealer as it was a demo car.

460C1792 61EA 4B13 86F8 732BB4417F95
6E2811F1 DB89 4637 92A7 3EF87329F566

The Audi dealer found these scratches all the way around the inside of the driver wheel. These were not caused by me; and in fact I do not know how these would even be possible as they are inside the wheel and so I don’t see how anything could ever come into contact in that area?

I think this happened either during transport or at the original dealer as it was a demo car.

View attachment 264166View attachment 264167

Curb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the scratch on the vertical wheel lip by the caliper or what looks like a lot of black paint missing on the edge of the wheel between vertical and horizontal part of the wheel ?

as @Mike.46 is referring to I think ...

View attachment 264178
Yes I am - no way that is made by a curb - as it is inside the tyre and there is no damage to the tyre. I think the purple bit is just the light but as I have not looked at that area of the wheel myself I don’t know for sure.

The sales guy I bought it from has said because its 10 months he can’t help me. Of course I know that if they sold me a pre-damaged car and didn’t tell me that they have no protection from me taking them to court - although I would like to think the dealer or Audi UK would sort the issue before we get to that stage.

The main problem I have is this is the same wheel that was hit in the accident so it will be refurbed and maybe even have the tyre replaced under the insurance anyway.

Yes I am - no way that is made by a curb - as it is inside the tyre and there is no damage to the tyre. I think the purple bit is just the light but as I have not looked at that area of the wheel myself I don’t know for sure.

The sales guy I bought it from has said because its 10 months he can’t help me. Of course I know that if they sold me a pre-damaged car and didn’t tell me that they have no protection from me taking them to court - although I would like to think the dealer or Audi UK would sort the issue before we get to that stage.

The main problem I have is this is the same wheel that was hit in the accident so it will be refurbed and maybe even have the tyre replaced under the insurance anyway.

Why is this an issue - If it’s an ex demo or in other words is a 2nd hand car it wont be factory fresh and the onus is on you to spot any bodywork faults / defects before you purchase or very shortly afterwards. If it’s going to be refurbished whats the issue although I’d be looking for a new wheel rather accept it being repaired following the accident

Reactions: garethdj, VAGRANT and 8YARWY

Depends which bit of damage you’re talking about but I’ve had a wheel damaged by a curb like that.

I can’t see you getting far in court, or getting there at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: VAGRANT