Wheel Alignment/tracking - Really a Dealer only?

chill14

Reaction score
I wonder if someone could give me a straight answer about Tracking and Wheel Alignment on an A3 please?

I have done a search, and not found anyone who has had the answers I have had from Tyre garages, so I suspect I am being fed a load of bull for some reason.

I have had to have the front right, and a left rear wheel bearing replaced recently. Now Elsawin recommends that after a front wheel bearing is done that the tracking and wheel alignment is checked. I assume this is because the lower arm is removed to gain access, and that the drive shaft etc removed.

My mechanic said that it wasn't strictly necessary but said he would recommend it having it done for piece of mind.

Since I have the bearings done, the car has been feeling a little odd on occasions (not quite as 'planted' as before) so I have put it down to the fact that the alignment probably does need checking. Steering still appears to be straight.

So I have contacted my local National Tyres, ATS and Kwik-fit centres who are supposed to be able to do this, and all have replied that it is Dealer only job. They have said that the vehicle has to weighted correctly and they don't have the equipment to do it.

Is this correct or am I being fed a load of bull?

I'd rather get it done properly so if it is correct then thats fine, but if anyone know somewhere that is capable of doing it other than an Audi Dealer please let me know. (I'm near Cannock, Staffs)

Last edited:
You're being fed a load of ball, there are loads of places that do proper alignment, just find a good reputable one with laser alignment & they will check for you for about £50 or maybe less, I knew the guys so got cheaper but audi charge the earth for setting it to book & usually wrong so drifts & wheel not straight.

I had mine done the other week when I did my rack & arb with mate & I had it set of the recommended so it drove straight & my wheel was also straight, sometimes takes a few small adjustments to get spot on & dont always follow the book, just set at book measurements then test for any drifting or steer wheel of center, then go back & advise whats out & they will adjust, I went back 2-3 times & its now perfect (I think, lol)

It's a bit of a drive from you, but I'd recommend The TT Shop in Bedford. They've got the latest Hunter alignment gear, and lots of experience with Audi alignment.

I'd avoid like likes of ATS, Kwikfit etc. as they're unlikely to do such an accurate job.

Thanks both of you. I suspected it as I could not find any reference to it on here. All I got to do now then is find somewhere that will do it without the bull.

Cheers

Dave, i believe Lodge Tyres in Aston, Birmingham should be able to do this or BMTR in Great Barr, dont think they are that far from you, give them a call and see if they can help you out, im sure they should be able to do the trick for you.

Cheers
Nilz

I think the issue for companies outwith VAG is that they dont know enough about the steering angle sensor etc. Somebody got his knackered by a garage that didnt know what they were doing.

Have you tried Midland vw in Norton Canes?

They did mine for free when i had a cv joint done there!

I think the issue for companies outwith VAG is that they dont know enough about the steering angle sensor etc. Somebody got his knackered by a garage that didnt know what they were doing.

Nah steering angle sensor will be fine, its only when they take the steering wheel, slip ring, cluster etc etc of it would affect it, shouldnt touch this on an alighnment, shouldnt but you know some of these John Wayne's lmao

LOL @ john waynes...

tyre world - birmingham!

Have you tried Midland vw in Norton Canes?

They did mine for free when i had a cv joint done there!

i didn't even think of trying Jody at Midland VW. He is only 10 mins away, I'll give him a bell.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is quite clear then that I have been given a load of bull, and there are people who can actually do this.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

kwik fit do it! i paid £25 for my front wheels, when I messed up the the steering wheel alignment with the tyres after fitting a FBMFSW

Not with a barge pole & maybe with a tyre iron after they damage the alloy.