What's your mpg.......

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Looking at buying a a4 and at first I was thinking about one of the Diesel engines but a few people have told me to go for the tfsi instead.

Could people please post what their engines are and what mpg they get around town and on a run.

I've seen a stunning petrol model and I'm starting to sway more towards it but I still need something that will give a decent return.

2.0tfsi 220bhp model, DIS average of 36.1 mpg over the last 3k miles, a varied mix of motorway and town driving.

On a long motorway run I can achieve 41.1 mpg sat at 70 being very gentle with the accelerator.

Having previously owned a 2.0tdi in the saloon version, I can safely say the TFSI is so much nicer to drive, quieter and alot faster.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Thanks lads. Well the one I've seen is the auto with paddle shifts. As long as it's mid 30's for town driving I'd be happy.

flappy paddles, not keen on them myself , i prefer a good old fashioned gear lever that you feel going into gear.....but maybe thats because i'm old ...

I'm same rob but have always fancied the flappy paddles. Going to go for a test drive tomorrow so only time will tell. It's pretty well spec'd tbh.

I'm averaging about 390 miles to a tank on mine. It's a Quattro version and I do a mix of town driving and dual carriage way and do have the some fun driving it.

It'd be the 2.0 tfsi if I get petrol mate. The 1.8t just drink petrol buy s3 averages 27mpg and that's driving like miss daisy.

avant tdi 140, 61's on a good run out and 46 ish mixed driving,

170 tdi getting 42 mpg, the 170's are rubbish on fuel economy.

Go for petrol, I wish I had. But if you're set on diesel make it the fabulous 3l v6. What you save on fuel with a diesel will likely be swallowed up maintaining the dam thing.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Tell we have a mk2 Leon 170 diesel and we average 40mpg which is crap and struggle to get 400 miles out of a tank. It's just crap.

Get a 1.8t and put it on lpg I fitted it to my A3 and used £20 of gas to 300 miles when I fit the new car up I expect around 320ish

Last edited:
140 2.0 TDI here. Used a tank & half driving back from Austria to the Midlands. 968 miles/11 hours door to door mostly at well over 100ish.

2.0tdi 140 30-35 round town 40-50 on the motorway (usualy sat between 70-85) and iv got a heavy foot!

I've got a 1.8t s3 lee and had enough of it so not a option haha.

What's people's thoughts on. 3.0v6 diesel with 150000 miles on the clock, what are the engines like age related wear etc?

What's people's thoughts on. 3.0v6 diesel with 150000 miles on the clock, what are the engines like age related wear etc?
From what I hear, injectors can be an issue plus timing chain can be a bank balance breaker if it needs to be changed

This doesn't mean I wouldn't still recommend one mind

With my 170 TDi I can average around 35-40 around town and 40-55 on the motorway....dependant on if I'm on my own or with the Mrs. But if I'm on a local private test track I get nowhere near any of those.

Now when I look back I wish I'd gone for the 3.0 TDi.

but that was on the autobahn wasn't mate, when you came through germany

To be honest, I paid no attention at all to any limits once I got on the motorway in Austria all the way to Calais.

After living out there for 3 months I was on a one track mind to get home!

The fuel consumption and the cars just too modded nar uk roads. Theirs about 3k worth of suspension and it's just too harsh plus with a baby in the way it just isn't practical anymore. Time to grow up haha.

2005-2006 models suffer the worst for injector problems. general rule get the newest one possible. there's been soo many revision on all the 'common' problems. just pot luck if you get a bad egg.

3.0 tdi tip cabriolet
dis avg 33mpg around town 28-34 on a run 35-45 depending how much your in a rush.

Regarding the injectors, has their been no recall on them?

Well that's ****, they did the recall on the 2.0tdi so why not the v6.

My Golf GTD got 78mpg on a long run... Just saying