So what does everyone get?

List the

model - 2.0 / 3.0 ltr
Driving mode - Sport / dynamic / efficiency / comfort
Type of journey - city / motorway / mixed

etc etc..

3.0Tdi Avant 2012
Usually set on 'Comfort'.
Occasionally drop into sport mode to pass something quickly.
40 urban, 45-48 mixed, 50-52 on long motorway trips.

Reactions: martinivw
2.0 tdi (190).
Usually driven on motorways and over the last 17k miles averaged 48mpg.

Typically leave it on dynamic mode as driving in heave traffic at rush hour the on demand power is nice to have. I did use economy mode for a while and that did make a difference but not by more than a few mpg.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2.0 Diesel S-Line
15 mls @75mph=43mpg
15mls@56mph=50mpg
always in Dynamic.

Think you also need to add more info like model year, quattro (or not), BHP of the 3.0 engine and any modifications (remap etc).

Reactions: martinivw
2.0 Diesel S-Line
15 mls @75mph=43mpg
15mls@56mph=50mpg
always in Dynamic.
2011 177bhp No maps
Same stretch of road, commute to and from work (guess which is which?)

This will be funny

2017 S6 Avant
On a steady run - 30+ Mpg (econ)
Short journeys normally less than 5 miles ~15mpg
Averaging around 23mpg over the last 3000miles with a mix of driving modes

(Having a spirited drive - 11mpg) Dynamic

Tank range I’ve seen is between 200 and 480 before hunting for a Tesco’s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ and martinivw
3.0Tdi Allroad, 272 plus stage 1 remap
Usually set on Dynamic but in "D" not "S'.
haven't noticed much difference in economy in the different modes.
Occasionally drop into sport mode to pass something quickly.
45-48 mixed, 50-55 on long motorway trips. Cruise set at 75, often see better than 700 miles (ie range + Covered) on a tank

This'll be a fun one, 2016 2.0tdi Avant, 190 ultra remapped to 222, auto and quattro. Everyday driving mix between town and motorway at 70/50mph, averaging 33mpg. Convinced somethings not right with it but made a few posts on Facebook and it seems to be a common issue with the 2.0 being underpowered for the weight of the car

This'll be a fun one, 2016 2.0tdi Avant, 190 ultra remapped to 222, auto and quattro. Everyday driving mix between town and motorway at 70/50mph, averaging 33mpg. Convinced somethings not right with it but made a few posts on Facebook and it seems to be a common issue with the 2.0 being underpowered for the weight of the car

I've a 2016 2.0tdi Avant 190 ultra too and get far better than 33mpg. I would get the "map" removed as many of them just trick the engine to increase fuel pressure.

With all the different engine options, gearboxes, 2/4 wheel drive, driving modes, car set-up (tyre pressures for example), driving styles threads like this don't really provide anything meaningful unless we get thousands of detailed responses. It might help those who have issues and so on the extremes.

Reactions: Alistair D
I've a 2016 2.0tdi Avant 190 ultra too and get far better than 33mpg. I would get the "map" removed as many of them just trick the engine to increase fuel pressure.

With all the different engine options, gearboxes, 2/4 wheel drive, driving modes, car set-up (tyre pressures for example), driving styles threads like this don't really provide anything meaningful unless we get thousands of detailed responses. It might help those who have issues and so on the extremes.

I got the map done just over a month ago to see if it helped with the fuel economy, as it was just as bad before, if not worse... I'm trying fuel additives at the moment and if they make no difference the next step is a terraclean, other than that I guess it's just a fact of life ‍♂️

You don't have an Ultra, you have a quattro model. The Ultra model on the C7 is front wheel drive only. If you want economy then you then the best model was the Ultra. As you are asking a 2.0TDi engine to lug around a heavy car and power all 4 wheels. Economy wise the 6 pot TDI quattro could be a little better depending on driving style, however it also bring a hold load more issues with engine complexity when things go wrong.

I've got an MY17 2.0 TDI Avant quattro (sline) and the DIS average is 39MPG, over the cars 25K miles with approx 50/50 motorway/town driving.

You don't have an Ultra, you have a quattro model. The Ultra model on the C7 is front wheel drive only. If you want economy then you then the best model was the Ultra. As you are asking a 2.0TDi engine to lug around a heavy car and power all 4 wheels. Economy wise the 6 pot TDI quattro could be a little better depending on driving style, however it also bring a hold load more issues with engine complexity when things go wrong.

I've got an MY17 2.0 TDI Avant quattro (sline) and the DIS average is 39MPG, over the cars 25K miles with approx 50/50 motorway/town driving.

So we've got pretty much identical cars (given mine has 50k more miles) but over the last 1000 miles I've averaged 32mpg (at most). Also a mix of motorway and town driving, really doesn't seem right to me.

I bought my 2015 2.0 Avant 190 Ultra manual recently, hoping to get somewhere near the 69mpg quoted for the automatic gearbox (maybe above 55-60 MPG). I am sorely disappointed.

The roads I drive regularly are almost a perfect mix of roads- small amount of town, then free-flowing A roads and dual carriageway ending with a small amount of town driving. I also drive in efficiency mode, smoothly with anticipation, conserving momentum and short-shifting gears where I can.

I am yet to get above 44mpg average in this thing, and just on the long dual carriageway sections I've not averaged more than about the same.

I have a big 2009 C4 Grand Picasso that, fully loaded with people, will do 53 MPG all day long and nearer 57 MPG on a long motorway journey.

We also have 3 old Xsara Picassos (two with 2.0 HDI engines, and one with 1.6 HDI) that easily beat the Audi with much older engine tech. Even the 2.0 HDIs will do average of 47mpg, and the 1.6 HDI we never managed to provoke into going under 55mpg.

I can't see that even with the auto gearbox and no one in the car that the Ultra could ever get near 69 MPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cairnsy13
model - 2.0 ultra - 190bhp no mods
Driving mode - Sport / dynamic
Type of journey - city
MPG - 17-25

Driving mode - efficiency
Type of journey - motorway
MPG - 55-65

Driving mode - Sport / dynamic
Type of journey - mixed
MPG - 45 ish

Sorry to ask a question within the thread but about to buy an A6 around 13plate. Was looking at the 2.0 but took a 3 litre non-quattro for a drive today and thought may be more expensive to run than a 2litre but having read some other threads 3litre may be better option....?

Sorry to ask a question within the thread but about to buy an A6 around 13plate. Was looking at the 2.0 but took a 3 litre non-quattro for a drive today and thought may be more expensive to run than a 2litre but having read some other threads 3litre may be better option....?

3.0 litre non quattro? i don't believe such a thing exists?

They do exist :)

They were fitted with the multitronic box and 204bhp. They are actually the same engine as the 241bhp Quattro engine but you have to limit any increases to stop the box going bang lol

how do you mean? In terms of trying to re-map? Some of the threads I found have said despite larger engine almost more economical than the 2 litre as less work on the motorway etc? And smoother ride?

how do you mean? In terms of trying to re-map? Some of the threads I found have said despite larger engine almost more economical than the 2 litre as less work on the motorway etc? And smoother ride?

yeah when remapping. The boxes are a bit fragile......

depends mostly on your journey type. I have the 3.0 241 (running 314) and my log term average is 33mpg. That’s a mixture of short and long journeys. Short town journeys absolutely murders the economy :(

I typically get anywhere between 400 to 470 miles per tank depending on how many short journeys i do

Bitdi avant
In comfort mode accept for exhaust which is always in dynamic
mixed driving 30mpg
longer run can get 40mpg if stick to under 60mph

model - 2.0 ultra - 190bhp no mods
Type of journey - city
MPG - 30-35

Type of journey - motorway
MPG - 55-60