Whats your Coilover Experience like???????

Paul-S3

Reaction score
Ok, wanted to start this thread to get peoples feedback on certain makes of coilovers, how was the drop, how was the ride like etc. I've recently fitted V maxx coilovers to my A3 and although the build quality is great for the money i cant help but feel the ride of my A3 has been ruined. I've had many modified cars with coilovers and in most cases they were actually more comfortable than stock shocks, but with the V Maxx i have never experienced such a HARSH SOLID ride. The car bounces and crashes all over the place. Is this the same with all brands on the A3 or is it a result of cheap coilovers.

It's getting to the point now that i'm actually starting to hate driving the car. I've even taken my bentleys off and gone back to the 17's to make the ride a little more bearable. Your feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Paul

I had Koni's with adjustable damping on my 8N TT and they were a dream. Set to mid way they were firm, but soaked up the bumps. I have had KW V2's on a MK4 Golf too, and it was a similar story (but then it would be as they use the same Koni Adj. shocks).

I have no experience of Vmax but quite a few people seem to say they are good budget/mid range coilover.

All coilovers will be firmer the lower you go, how low are you running them?

I would say the combination of 19" wheels and cheap coilovers is never going to be a happy one,especially if you've lowered the car a lot as well.

Mine is on the original 18" wheels,with Toyo R1R tyres,and kW v3 coilovers,and on that,the suspension has plenty of compliance,and the ability to soak up bumps without crashing around.

AMDTuning look after my car,and Shaun Hollamby,who ought to know,having raced in last year's BTCC and before that,said the ride and handling were surprisingly good for a road car.

It's easy to destroy the ride and handling for the sake of looks or "stance",but without being too critical,I think you've probably reached that point.

i agree with what you say, i had KW V3's on my M3 and they were superb, it's just i didnt wanna pay top prices for suspension for a car that cost £6k. Although looking at it now i will have too as i wont be keeping the V Maxx for much longer.

i agree with what you say, i had KW V3's on my M3 and they were superb, it's just i didnt wanna pay top prices for suspension for a car that cost £6k. Although looking at it now i will have too as i wont be keeping the V Maxx for much longer.

Since you've already had experience of those,you know what you'd be getting,but don't also forget you're running a wheel and tyre combination on your car that others have tried and rejected due to the ride and handling issues,and it's one which I was pretty strongly warned off by AMD.

The fact that you've had to remove the arch liner screw shows how low you've taken it,and I just think you've reached the point of compromising the ride and handling.

I wouldn't say that my car is that low tbh, and the handling isnt an issue, its the fact of how fecking hard the ride is, go over a bump and it shoots me out the seat. lol

I wouldn't say that my car is that low tbh, and the handling isnt an issue, its the fact of how fecking hard the ride is, go over a bump and it shoots me out the seat. lol
I see what you're getting at,but having to remove the wheel arch fixing means you've gone about as far as you can get without scraping the arches themselves.

I've seen quite a few people do this,and one of the best recently was a Leon Cupra with all the stickers and bits plus an exhaust I could have housed my dog in,but anyway,it was crabbing all over the road,and going real slow,and when I got close enough it was easy to see why....too low,and no suspension travel.

Harsh ride is the disadvantage of budget coils. Coupled with 19" wheels and skinny tyres they will shake the teeth out of your head.

Options are kw coilovers which should maintain good comfort or swap for s-line/sport shocks coupled with H&R or eibach springs.

Eibachs are meant to be quite a soft spring

What about the H&R coilovers, which use Bilstein dampers? They are more expensive than the V-Maxx's, but not so much as the KW's. H&R has quite a reputation for good springs, and Bilstein for dampers. Is the joint coilover any good?

Coilovers are always going to be stiffer then springs and shocks so if your wanting to retain as much comfort as possible then I'd say go for a good quality springs and shocks kit.

If you did want coilovers then the likes of the Weitec and KW are pretty comfortable and H&R also do a street kit which is also good for everyday road use.

Damian @ DPM Performance