What's up with my car

S3 Nattie

Quattro ist für sissies
Reaction score
Hi guys, got a weird problem with my car and not sure what's up with it. Was out last night and I happened to brake pretty hardish then all of a sudden all my dials and lights in the car turned off then the speedo and rev counter works when they wants and started flickering on and off randomly.

When to start the car this afternoon but the battery was completely flat so when and bought a new battery and put it on and the car started fine but I get a red symbol on the DIS (says it is fault in the brake system according to the user manual) and the traction control light and abs light are on constantly. Im getting the following codes;

16947 - System Voltage Too High
P0563 - 35-00 - -

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30: Signal Outside Specifications

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-00 - -

I have deleted them but the first two code keeps coming back straight away with the red symbol in the DIS with the traction control and abs light staying on. I had a look at the earth under the battery tray but they all looked secure and checked the fuses on top of the battery and there fine.

Any info on this would be great please.

Thanks Nathan

Last edited:
I took all the three on top of the battery but they were all fine. I had a quick look at the fuses which I thought could relate to the codes above on the side panel inside the car but they were ok also.

How many earth are there on a S3. Had a look at the ones under the battery tray but the all looked ok and secure.

Also another strange thing is when I check the alternator charge (I think thats what it is) on the CC it goes up to over 16 volts when the car is idling, I thought it should be around 14.4 volts.

Last edited:
16947 - System Voltage Too High
P0563 - 35-00 - -

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30: Signal Outside Specifications

Have you checked this ? - 00668 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Also, from looking at the erros codes and searching the full string on google, it looks like your alternator might be overcharging/undercharging. It could also be bad wiring, so check connections.

Ye I did look at ross tech at the codes. Would a alternator that overcharges cause the problems ive got.

I had a look at the alternator earlier to check if the plug was all secure and it was. I also got the battery light on constantly and I did for the first time last night here a whine on start up which I take it was the alternator.

Last edited:
I would imagine that it would detect an abnormal voltage/current being supplied and throw an error... I guess that the best way to check would be to plug a voltmeter to the alternator terminals and see what is produces when the engine is running. If an error is being logged, then the relevant data should be getting logged on some block, but I have no idea which... sorry

Thanks dude. I think if its the right thing on the CC, the alternator is providing to much voltage to the electrical components it supply's/charges and that's why I think I might be getting the system too high and signals out of spec.

Just found this website and they all seem the same problems im getting.

HowStuffWorks "Top 5 Signs of Alternator Problems"

Just took the alternator off and the inside just spins freely, I heard you can get alternators fixed, is mine fixable. Does anyone know if a 90amp alternator will work on a S3 which has a 120 amp one.

Alternators can be rebuilt, but it's something that needs to be done by someone, who knows how to do it. There are a few places online that exchange old alternators for reconditioned ones, so you can save yourself a few ££.

Just took the alternator off and the inside just spins freely, I heard you can get alternators fixed, is mine fixable. Does anyone know if a 90amp alternator will work on a S3 which has a 120 amp one.
Tbh i wouldnt put a 90amp one on if theres supposed to be a 120 amp as it wont have enough power for your electrics if you have your heated seats , lights , stereo etc then it wouldnt be able to put enough charge back in to your battery and will eventually run flat. If it helps i got a recon 120 amp for £110 with exchange all motor factors can supply them.

Thanks for that. Ye Im only going to get a 120A alternator as thats whats one my car for the reasons you just said.

Hopefully I can find a alternator for a reasonable price as they are very expensive for a S3.