What's the deal with Mercedes' "disco" fog lights?

benw123

Reaction score
Okay, so this is a bit random, and it doesn't keep me awake at night, but has anyone else seen left or right fog lights on Mercedes models flickering on and off? I must have seen around 10 in the last year. They catch your eye because - apart from the fact the driver probably shouldn't have switched them on - one of them isn't working. And then it goes out, comes on, and goes out again.

I've seen this on C-Class and E-Class models. Anyone else? Or should I cut down on the caffeine???

think its just you, i can't say i've ever seen that in london town!

Yes they shouldnt have their fogs on, but dont they just look lovely?

They are cornering lights, when you turn the wheels in one direction the light lights up that side, other cars that do this include the new fiat bravo!

They are cornering lights, when you turn the wheels in one direction the light lights up that side, other cars that do this include the new fiat bravo!

This is correct, it's suppose to help the driver by lighting up the apex of corners. I told a guy one of his foglights was blown on his Merc a few months back, he said it's an annoying feature of all new Mercs.

Thank f..... for that, I thought I was going mad. Noticed this the other day for the first time and thought one of his foglights wasn't working, then thought they must come on when you indicate and one came on when he turned a corner, but then noticed he wasn't indicating!

As an intentional design feature, it's pants! Can't see the light being bright enough to light corners. Should have put adaptive xenons on!

This is correct, it's suppose to help the driver by lighting up the apex of corners. I told a guy one of his foglights was blown on his Merc a few months back, he said it's an annoying feature of all new Mercs.
Seriously?! I can hardly believe it but thinking about it, I've seen these Mercs at roundabouts and the like.

But hey, at least I'm not going mad.

think its just you, i can't say i've ever seen that in london town!

Yes they shouldnt have their fogs on, but dont they just look lovely?

I've seen this plenty of times in London! Drives me mad when i see the fogs going on and off lol. Where abouts are you from in London Fahim?

If it's actually the cornering lights or whatever they're called, then I'm pretty sure the newer SEAT's have them too.... and VWs? I reckon it's more of a safety thing too as it alerts other drivers when people can't be ***** indicating.