Whats the best cabriolet to go for???

S3 Johnny

The grass isn't always greener
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

After a bit of time away from Audi after selling my S3 i think its time for another.

I looking at getting an A4 cabriolet for about £5.5-£6.5k.

Whats the best alround one to get?

I've been looking at the 2.5tdi, 2.4 sport and the 1.8t.

I want one that doesnt cost to much to run but still fun.

Hope you Guys can help.

Thanks for your time.

Johnny

Both the diesel and the 1.8T are 163bhp in standard form, but can be remapped to around 200bhp. The 2.4 is a v6 engine, sounds nice but is quite slow really. Personally I would go for the more tuneable 1.8T sport. But then again that's because I have one. Lol
It's a shame cause I am selling mine at the minute and mine has all the extra bits such as RNS-E sat nav, Bluetooth and remote roof extra. But it's for sale for £7500.
There are lots of cars around for the money you have tho, so find a good one. Good luck

They're all about the same power, they all get to 62mph in 9.x secs, so it just depends on what you want it for: B road blasting, boulevard cruising, motorway cruising?

The best handling (lightest) will be the 1.8T and it will be the most tunable: the 2.4 is utterly beyond help unless you're spending several grand, in which case you would be better off with a 3.0 V6.

The most economical will be the 2.5TDI and due to the torque of the TDI may actually feel the fastest once you're off the line: mpg in the high 30's, 1.8T will be around 30 and the 2.4 will be mid to high 20's.

The only thing really going for the 2.4 is that it's a V6 petrol, so will sound better.

My preference out of those would definitely be the 1.8T because it's the only one that's available in quattro :)

And regardless or FWD/quattro, because if I got bored and wanted more power, it is the easiest to tune up cheaply: both the 2.5TDI and 1.8T will get around 175-180bhp with a standard remap, so without too much stress (effort wise or on the components) and the 1.8T can go way beyond that if you wish to push it, the 2.5TDI's torquey power delivery makes it unsuitable for putting too much extra power through the front wheels, while the 1.8T could probably handle 220bhp territory (with a few mods in addition to the remap!) without overwhelming the front wheels.

IF you can find one, consider a quattro: the torsen differential is a much more direct 4WD than your S3 (unless you've had the Haldex modified to keep it in/close to 4WD the whole time).

I would agree the 2.4 isnt super fast, but its not slow either. Its a bit thirsty to, I get 24mpg average.

Main reason I bought mine was its a 52 plate but it had 32k miles on the clock when I bought it last December and it has all the toys I wanted, Symphony BOSE sound, cruise, light grey full leather and fully adjustable electric and heated seats etc.

Like most posters will probbaly say the 1.8T is prob the most fun for the money.

In the 6 months I have had mine I still get a buzz out of driving it .

Link to picys of my cab - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/112225-my-new-a4-cab-lovin.html

i chose the 2.4 v6 purely for the exhaust note ,sounds awsome especially with the top down , get around 24mpg town driving and had a trip to coast the other week and averaged 35mpg ,not a fast car by any means but wouldn't say it was slow either .

Interesting you get 24mpg to, was worried it was just me ! My DIS usually says 27 to 28mpg once i get to work and its warmed up, drops quick if you give it beans though !

i chose the 2.4 v6 purely for the exhaust note ,sounds awsome especially with the top down , get around 24mpg town driving and had a trip to coast the other week and averaged 35mpg ,not a fast car by any means but wouldn't say it was slow either .

i love my 1.8t sport,
its not bad on fule ad pulls just fine, i put a pipercross filter in there and had a remap and its pushing out 209bhp so its not bad at all, plus the turbo lag ahs got a lot less since the remap,
i went for the 1.8t just coz its cheaper to insure (altho not cheep..but what is ??) pluss it can handel some proper tuning!! planty fast enough and parts are normaly cheaper too, so for me its a no brainer!!

: pipercross normally just improves induction note, rather than any real power improvements: but that said, a 209bhp remap is a good one: you're cracking out 30% more than the 2.4V6 and probably have a lot more torque at lower revs too...

I thought the 1.8t would come out on top,
Dont think i would find a good Quattro at that money tho.
Looking for something with some toys ie- heated seats ect. and 70k ish miles on it.
Thinking Black or Red with black leather aswell.
No rush so wait for the right one is best i think.
Thanks for your thoughts Guys, any more are more than welcome.
Thanks for your time
Johnny

How many miles are you doing? Just bought 4 weeks ago, a 2.5 TDi Cab, and I love it. 163ps, remapped to 195ps, bags of torque, and Great economy. On long runs I get nearly 50mpg, with a combined figure of around 41 ! Classy classy car as well...get one and enjoy !!!

the 3.0V6 Quattro? Yes the 1.8T is the most tuneable if you are into that kind of a thing, otherwise the 3.0V6 has everything from the start, good equipment levels generally and ofcourse a quattro as well :)

I paid £8k for my 3.0v6 petrol. 1 owner, full history, 2004. Not quattro, but nice options. 220bhp. Can't believe how much car for the money!
Goes very well :)

Johnny... if you're doing reasonably low mileage (or get free fuel): since you were considering a NA petrol, then see if you can stretch to the 3.0 V6.... they're surprisingly cheap due to people's aversion to larger petrol engines at the moment and similar economy to the older/heavier 2.4 V6.... plus you get a bit more of that V6 petrol soundtrack.