Whats it worth?

spazmatron

Reaction score
long story short... 56 plate a4 avant s line 170 a1 condition ...... so after 2 independant inspections both have come back saying con rod through engine is a mechanical fault, so if i was to sell my car as spares or repairs what kind of money would it be worth many thanks in advance...

just had turbo recon at cost of 600

Last edited:
how many miles any sh
what spec etc etc.

108k full service, usuall s line spec bose system, factory tinted windows, removable tow bar, xenon lights, parrot kit 18in alloys unmarked plus the recon turbo just had a service 2 months ago

as i say the car itself is 100% a1 condition not a scratch on it

If you for some reason decide to take the breaking route - i want dibs on the gearknob :)

id say around 4/5 K
those engines aint cheap and hard to come by

sounds mighty high for a car with a bust engine...i mean whats the car worth as is... spares repair....

Last edited:
Also would anybody know how much would it cost to say put a used engine in it?? just a ballpark figure

between 1/1.5 K

yeah for the right person

thanks for your reply,s they have given me food for thought thanks again..

no probs theres a 2009 engine on the bay for £850
what engine code is yours

my engine code is....well engine number (as it states on docs) BRD 012*** Although i have seen the one on ebay and asked about the engine code and my reply was it came out of an a6 170 bhp but no engine code.........

thanks needs to be 170 the car has been remapped.. i think?? would the 140 be ok remembering it has been remapped to around 210 ish

hello again and thanks for all your relpys, my question is...if i was to sell my car as is (busted engine) would it be worth me mentioning to the possible buyer that it has just had £5000 (nothing to do with engine) repair with £2900 in new parts?? you wouldn't know to look at it though,, also to mention it has had dpf removal performance remap and turbo recon cost £1200 august this year...thanks.

Yes it's worth mentioning. Wouldn't expect to get top whack for a car that's a non-runner though. You'd probably get more by breaking it

hmm i aint no mechanic i drive cars thats where it stops.....thanks for your reply,, in your opinion jjmurphy what is it worth?

id only mention it all if you have invoices to prove
without them it never happend

I'm really not the best person to ask. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Personally I would be weary of buying a car which had a blown engine, because you're never sure why it got to be like that in the first place.

On the other hand there are plenty of 2.0tdi S-line avants with just over 100k going for about £6k on autotrader. So if you take off £2k for the engine maybe £4k isn't too far off. But if you're going to put a new engine in it why not keep it as you know everything else is good on the car? People would probably be reluctant to buyt the car with no engine as you can't even road test it for common problems...

Thanks for your reply, i aint sure about putting new engine in in 2 minds thats why im trying to find out what its worth as is then i will do the maths and see if its cost effective but apart from the rod through engine the cars is A1 condition thanks.

If its any help to you a couple of weeks ago I found myself in the same situation as you are now, my main bearings went in the bottom end and was umm and argh Inge about what to do. I was going to use the company in the previous link to put a new engine in but decided against it. I wasn't comfortable sending my car to somewhere I didn't know to put an engine I hadn't seen into it and heard a few bad reviews about the company. I managed to source a second hand BRD with 69k on the clock that's been removed from a crashed car and fully checked over for usual faults (ie hex shaft wear) delivered to my Indy where my car was for £900 and got my Indy to fit it. The mrs has just picked up the car up today and paid the Indy £1200ish for fitting and replacing some parts off the old engine. So all in its come to £2100 for an engine fitting and a few new parts. Hope this helps.

Gates

The mrs says its driving like new again now mate, I'm not back home till tomorrow so can't really comment but she seems happy enough

1200 for fitting
thats **** loads

yeah 1200 for fitting they have done u propa there

The labour to fit was 500 the rest was diagnostic checks and identifying the problem before we found out the problem, and new parts added to the new engine when fitting I haven't got the receipt to actually get the break down as I'm away with work but ill look over it tomorrow when I get back and explain the rest, plus it had the courtesy car we needed to pay for included in the bill for 3 1/2 weeks