What's happened to my wheels?

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
Hi,

I had my wheels refurbed about a month ago and since then have had both an oil change and brake fluid change at different garages.

Washed my wheels this weekend and there is some sort of corrosion that has occurred, predominantly on the front wheels.

Pics aren't clear but it looked just like dirt before I washed them.
IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

My queries are:
  • Is there a risk of Brake Fluid going on the wheels when it's changed?
  • If so, should the garage have taken care and taken the wheels off?
  • Or would it not corrode normally had the wheels been refurbed correctly?
I am assuming the oil change would not have made a difference.

Any information you may have will help.

Thanks

Brake fluid will dammage paint. But surely they would of removed the wheels when doing the bleeding even if you can get to the bleed nipple a nicer job is done by removing them

thats brake pad dust get some good alloy wheel cleaner and it should come off

Thanks.

Originally I thought was brake dust but it's part of the wheel and, without scratching, it won't come off. Also only on one part of each wheel which leads me to believe something has spilled onto it.

If Brake Fluid damages alloys, i'll go back to the garage and show them what's happened. Not sure if this happens on all wheels though?

Id say most prob brake fluid,it will do that,might have been driped on underneath car,but also paint can react or not take properly,so id speak to the sprayer see what he thinks.

I would still say its brake dust.
Are you using wheel cleaner or just soapy water?

Who refurbished ur wheels mate? Did they give u any warranty with the work it could be a reaction to something of breakdown of the paint, but seeing as its behind the wheels it would be brake dust or the fluid that has penetrated the wheels

Does it feel different like the surface has been erroded or does it feel like its ontop of the lacquer?

Cos in the pics it just looks like discolouration which pushes me towards it been brake dust baked on.

As above have you tried anything to remove it from the wheels other than scratching it?

PLEASE READ ... I'm a shot blaster and painter by trade and when most people refurb wheels, they use cheap paints or cheap acids in the paint prep.... They then use a disclaimer saying only wash with warm soapy water so....... Are your wheels powder coated? Have they been hand prepped / shot blasted / or acid dipped or combination of all 3? Or are they prepped and 3 stage traditional painted?

I recently did some wheels took the car to get it washed by local foreigners car wash and the wheel cleaner they used must of been super strength neat as the wheels went like yours have! So few things to consider but I would defiantly take them back to who did them for you.

P.s brake fluid would completely strip traditional 3 stage paint method even if pre blasted.

Hope helps, Sean

Thanks for the comments guys. In terms of who did the refurb, I won't name them in case it was not them but they were cheap at £30 a corner.

Will go back there but if the garage spilled fluid onto the wheels, would it not be their fault? Or is it common for brake fluid to go onto wheels and normal wheels wouldn't react?

It won't be brake dust as only affecting a few spokes therefore something has spilled onto them.

In the pics you can just see it's only affecting 4 spokes. On the far left there are spots which I assume were 'drips'.

If it were brake dust I would expect that on all of the spokes.

It's hard for me to say without seeing in person , if I could see in real life I'd be able to tell you straight away. But it does seem like something has been spilt on them like old brake fluid then as wheels have turned it's flicked drips around the wheels. But for £30 a wheel I would almost guarantee they haven't been blasted and powder coated! So if they are traditional 3 stage paint ( prime , colour, lacquer) then old brake fluid could do this! But so could mega strong alloy wheel cleaner, hence warm soapy water all that recommended. nd when I do wheels I recommend you don't wash them for 2 weeks because I haven't got an oven to bake them in and some refurbers just use infa red heaters between coats which isn't as good.

It's only really on front two. The rears have it slightly but not noticeable. Will go to the garage and see what they say - if they don't do anything then off to the sprayer! Oh well. Thanks guys.

PLEASE try a propper alloy wheel cleaner before you take them back to the sprayer/ garage.

Rain water is part accidic, which will cause the brake dust to loosen and fall.. hence why its pooling around the rear/ bottom of the spokes in a certain point.

If it was a spraying defect it would'nt be localised to one small area... The main cause of spraying defects are bad prep or silicone contaminants.
If it was brake fluid it would peel the laquer/ topcoat.

If you remove all four wheels you will notice the inside of the fronts blacker than the rears (dustier) as the fronts do more braking.
"Soapy water" will not remove this.. Ask any detailer/ valeter/ cleaner/ scientist etc.

PLEASE try a propper alloy wheel cleaner before you take them back to the sprayer/ garage.

Rain water is part accidic, which will cause the brake dust to loosen and fall.. hence why its pooling around the rear/ bottom of the spokes in a certain point.

If it was a spraying defect it would'nt be localised to one small area... The main cause of spraying defects are bad prep or silicone contaminants.
If it was brake fluid it would peel the laquer/ topcoat.

If you remove all four wheels you will notice the inside of the fronts blacker than the rears (dustier) as the fronts do more braking.
"Soapy water" will not remove this.. Ask any detailer/ valeter/ cleaner/ scientist etc.

Thanks pal - will pick some up shortly and give it a go

Just bought some cleaner - take on board that the brake fluid / rain may have reacted with dust and baked it on. The cleaner lightened some of the marks but not got rid of it all completely. It's a bit difficult for me to clean as live in a flat but will travel to my parents next weekend and have a proper go in their garage.

Many thanks!!

Just an update.

The marks were related to the brake fluid and the garage took responsibility and offered to pay for all 4 wheels to be refurbed however offered to try and cut and polish them for me if I wanted but was totally my choice.

I asked them to try cut and polish which they did and the wheels look fantastic. Looks like they polished the entire car too and also given me a voucher for a free MOT the next time i'm due for the inconvenience.

Overall, i'm very happy and have found a fantastic garage that I will stay with!

Just an update.

The marks were related to the brake fluid and the garage took responsibility and offered to pay for all 4 wheels to be refurbed however offered to try and cut and polish them for me if I wanted but was totally my choice.

I asked them to try cut and polish which they did and the wheels look fantastic. Looks like they polished the entire car too and also given me a voucher for a free MOT the next time i'm due for the inconvenience.

Overall, i'm very happy and have found a fantastic garage that I will stay with!

Fair play to the garage normally they just deny everything and rip you off, have you got any photo's of the new wheels.

Chris.

What sealer product would you guys recommend?

This is how they look now - same wheel for the close up however was raining when I took it

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg