What's DIS?

Redavant

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what you get with Dis? Is it the computer that tells you what MPG you get?

What other features does it have, I forgot to order it with my car, just wondering if it will regret it!

Cheers

Driver Information System.

Current and average MPG, miles to go till refuel, driving time, avarage speed. I think the later models also have "overall" all and "this trip", fuel and speed avarages.

I hardly use mine.

Kev.

I dont think you will miss it. Its just something to play with for £400 quid I had it on my old A6 and dont have it on my A4 but do have it on the A3.The only difference is that I can't fit led's to the A3 sidelights to match the xenons wear I can on the A4.

[ QUOTE ]
The only difference is that I can't fit led's to the A3 sidelights to match the xenons wear I can on the A4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif how is this connected with DIS?

Kev.

Only thing DIS is handy for is when you do a mixture of business and personal miles for expenses sake to record mileage. Have also managed to convine a police officer I wasn't speeding using the average speed on the DIS when pulled by a panda car.

Also flashes at you when you have been driving 2 hours to advise you to take a break. KevinT is right in that advanced DIS has 'this trip' and 'cumulative' configurations for speed and MPG

S and RS model DIS is in colour rather than red and will also tell you if you doors / bonnet / boot are ajar and also if oil, washer fluid/ oil abs and brake fluid low; however that said I don't know if that is the DIS you would get on a standard model without wanting to sound like a snob....sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, wouldn't know as haven't owned a standard model..... once again sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lucky git /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

I use mine all the time...as fuel seems to disappear all the time I find miles remaining very useful.

I wouldn't worry about the colour display too much. It's a little nicer but it's not exactly 32bit colour!!
32045526-5fbb-02000180-.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, wouldn't know as haven't owned a standard model..... once again sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lucky git /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure my other half and bank manager don't think so. They could think up dozens of better ways of spending the disproportionately large amount of money I use to finance the cars I've had 'since it's only something to get you from A to B' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Like ScoTTy said it's nicer to look at but that's about it.

Range is excellent but DIS does'nt include distance travelled and the average mpg overstates mpg by about 7-10%. I guess this is to make you feel better!

I've deliberately not compared it with actual consumption!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've got to the point that I'll worry about fuel consumption when there is no Optimax left to fill up with!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Unless it is on business mielage and then it is an important issue

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only difference is that I can't fit led's to the A3 sidelights to match the xenons wear I can on the A4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif how is this connected with DIS?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]
The low power draw makes it think theres a bulb out gives a warning and does not light the bulbs. I think thats the difference.

Ah... I see what you mean, sorry... but the bulb warning is not part of DIS, that's standard anyway.

Must be something to do with how the car monitors it. I've always assumed it measures the resistance in the lighting circuit. i.e. resistance means bulb is working, infinate resistance means it blown?? But it could also monitor current draw I suppose?

Kev.

You could be right something to do with resistance. The A3 has 5W5 and the A4 has H6W.like I say A4 works and A3 wont.

[ QUOTE ]
Ah... I see what you mean, sorry... but the bulb warning is not part of DIS, that's standard anyway.

Must be something to do with how the car monitors it. I've always assumed it measures the resistance in the lighting circuit. i.e. resistance means bulb is working, infinate resistance means it blown?? But it could also monitor current draw I suppose?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

DIS shows things like Washer Fluid low, bulb out, brake test, as well as a host of other things, you do not get this on non DIS cars.

So bulb warning is part of DIS.

You do not get bulb warning on a standard car..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]
The low power draw makes it think theres a bulb out gives a warning and does not light the bulbs. I think thats the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can fit LED's but you need to find ones that have in-line resistors to fool the DIS to think you have the correct bulbs.

Somthing like this

load_res_200x138.jpg

hth

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

DIS shows things like Washer Fluid low, bulb out, brake test, as well as a host of other things, you do not get this on non DIS cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're incorrect.

Brake pad level
Fluid level
Oil level
Light operation
Just to name a few off the top of my head do not require DIS.

DIS shows: overall/average
MPG
Speed
Instant MPG
Outside Temp
Etc.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

Also flashes at you when you have been driving 2 hours to advise you to take a break. KevinT is right in that advanced DIS has 'this trip' and 'cumulative' configurations for speed and MPG

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i wondered y it kept flashin at me on the way up to Edingburgh, hehe

ohh and doesnt it tell u the radio station??

DIS is one of those annoying Audi extras that you do not really need, I only use it when I trying to max mpg). However once you've had it (I've got it in my A4) you do miss it when you do drive an Audi with it not fitted (not fitted in our A3)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're incorrect.

Brake pad level
Fluid level
Oil level
Light operation
Just to name a few off the top of my head do not require DIS.

DIS shows: overall/average
MPG
Speed
Instant MPG
Outside Temp
Etc.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are incorrect, DIS does as you say show you MPG etc and to tell if you have the full DIS you have a switch on the end of the wiper stalk, to change up through the menu.

But I have owned Audi's with full DIS and my new 1.8T A4 Quattro has no DIS and has no brake test no bulb out no washer bottle low warning.

The only stuff you get is, doors open, temp, oil low, coolant low, 2 hour break warning and fuel low warning.

You can check what your car has pressing the check button, and mine certainly doesn't have all the extras.