WhatCar Test????

EdHall

Reaction score
Guys, I just read the WhatCar test where they pitted the A4 (facelift A4 - dont't know why Audi call this the new A4?) against the BMW 3 series, the Merc C-Class and the X-type Jag. The surprise is that they place the A4 4th.

This realy shocked me, I can't believe that the Jag is better! The outgoing 3 series certainly can't match the A4, especially in quatro form, or can it? As for the Merc, I'm dumbfounded!

What's going on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

What Car? mistakenly believes that it has to publish something different from the other car magazines rather than objectively assessing the metal infront of its journalists.

All three of the German cars are pretty close across all major dynamic areas and build quality. The Jaguar is merely a badly rebodied Ford. The market recognises this and sales have fallen off a cliff. So more than likely, and just like Rover, Ford has lined the pockets of What Car? in return for positive column inches. I can just see the sticker at Jaguar dealers: New Jag trounces the opposition in What Car? giant test.

Drive the cars and see for yourself which one is better.