Facelift What would you want to see in the redesigned 2019 model

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
On the A3 design, I would like to see a modest increase in overall length ( 3") and 1" in width. More rear headroom and legroom. A grill that is more integrated, somewhat like the TT design. New seats that are more supportive, redesigned dash, but no touchscreen, lots of luck on that want, as Audi seem destined to put the feature in all new designs. Also, no IPad afterthought screen stuck on top of the dash. Remove the inset above the wheel arches.
On the S3 modest boost of 20bhp and as much torque as possible. Retain the DSG transmission. Audi, please design some really nice looking easy to clean alloy wheels. The RS6/S6 design is really nice as an example.
What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Not thought about what I would like to see, but deffo don't want a touchscreen! I was trying to use the RCD510 in my friends VW a few days ago - while being the passenger and I found it tricky enough.. !

Not sure about the 2 touch screens that are in the latest A8 for example where one screen is for climate or whatever .... hopefully beacuse the A3 is one of the cheaper cars in the range it will not get said feature..

Well my wife's Polo has a touch screen and that cost a lot less than my A3 so I'm not sure cost comes in to it. Personally I hope the new A3 does have a touch screen system as the current MMI and navigation system is, to me.the worst part of the current A3. Even my old TomTom, which I use to tell me about speed cameras, has a much easier navigation system to use. The only good part of the Audi system is being able to find destination using good maps on my PC and sending the result to the A3.

From an S3 perspective a bit more power would of course be most welcome and I’m sure there will be a small increase.

Better choice of alloys, I’m not a big fan of the diamond cut 18’s on mine but I do like the RS6 style wheels and would like a 19” version for the S3. Other than that I’m pretty happy with mine thus far!

Someone on here has Rs6 performance alloys on their Vegas Yellow S3 don't they? Looked good...

What about a heads up display? I've never used one but can see how it could benefit the driver. I don't think it's an option on the A3, might be wrong.

I suppose the car will get more intelligent, blind spot detection (don't think this is standard) and other safety/self driving functions. As long as they can be disabled I can't disagree with having them...unless the cost of base car goes up by a tonne!

Last edited:
1. A smaller retail price :thumbs up:,,,,, as if :haudrauf:
2. VC standard throughout the range .

:hi::hi:

On the A3 design, I would like to see a modest increase in overall length ( 3") and 1" in width. More rear headroom and legroom. A grill that is more integrated, somewhat like the TT design. New seats that are more supportive, redesigned dash, but no touchscreen, lots of luck on that want, as Audi seem destined to put the feature in all new designs. Also, no IPad afterthought screen stuck on top of the dash. Remove the inset above the wheel arches.
On the S3 modest boost of 20bhp and as much torque as possible. Retain the DSG transmission. Audi, please design some really nice looking easy to clean alloy wheels. The RS6/S6 design is really nice as an example.
What are your thoughts?

I don't care as l won't be getting another Audi lol
But personally speaking l think your post has summed up all the pros and cons for the next model mate
The next car will again have very subtle changes externally with loads of expensive optional extras internally, you'll be lucky to get a S3 saloon for under £40,000 GBP Oh..... Expect the S3 to have around 330 bhp and no manual gearbox or a 3 door hatch

I've only owned mine for about four hours, but I'd like to see the utterly horrible turbo lag dealt with. It's the worst of any turbocharged car I've ever driven. There's literally no power for the first 1500RPM

Reactions: sgtvic and 4K
I've only owned mine for about four hours, but I'd like to see the utterly horrible turbo lag dealt with. It's the worst of any turbocharged car I've ever driven. There's literally no power for the first 1500RPM
Isn’t this the case for most cars?! Can’t say I’ve really noticed turbo lag in mine. Of course driving in efficiency doesn’t feel the most responsive but in auto or dynamic modes the car feels great.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I'd like to see no diesels in the range and plug in hybrids at reasonable cost.

I'd also like to see a sleek looking 3 door and if that's not possible a better looking 5 door.

Having said this, unless I get another excellent pcp deal I'll probably move on.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Ps expect Faux / Blank exhaust ports on the rear bumper as well just like the new A8/A7A6/Q5.

What are your thoughts?
That all seems reasonable as its going to be on the same MQB platform isn't it? The one extra I'd like (especially given this winter) is a heated windscreen. I think it is possibly available on the Golf but not on the A3/S3 for some reason.

Reactions: oli356 and Tom.H
I'd like to see Recaro bucket seats (option) and proper 6 pot brakes fitted to the S models, instead of the single piston cr@p they have always fitted.

Reactions: PanamaS3
Integral dash cam? It wouldn't be too hard to integrate one in to mmi. The current tech pack advanced has user accessible storage, the same media could be used to store video feed.

Adapt the same internal storage setup as the current Golf. Space inside the A3 for things like sunglasses is woefully bad.

Enhanced security to deter all but the professional scroat from running off with your S3

Reactions: SamR92, UV-RS3, DrMal and 1 other person
Ok here goes
Fixed price servicing at the same price as out of warranty cars
Tyre wheel combination that helps prevent kerb damage
Free lifetime sat nav updates.
Fixed low retail price with no discounting to keep under the 40 k tax penalty .
Sort out the rag/ turbo lag issue
5 year warranty
As to the car still love it and do not want it any wider. Can just about get it in the garage now . No dash cam as insurance companies will start demanding them
Better colour range
Think that is it

Reactions: DrMal
What are your thoughts?

Why would you `Want` the A3 to be bigger? Surely if you want a bigger A3, you buy an A4? No?

Every generation of car gets bigger. Those who have bought an A3 want that size of car. Want smaller, buy an A1. Bigger? Go buy an A4. Already the A3 saloon is as big as the B7 A4. The A4 is now once A6 large. The A6 is probably bigger than past A8's, and the A8 is just huge.

Personally, I would like to see the A3 remaining the same size. But ........
More power on the S3 (350bhp min)
Better steering feel.
Better manual gearbox (instead of vague and numb).
But keep a manual on S3 model !!
Better handling
Rear drive bias to the Haldex

Overall I'm disappointed with Audi's design at the minute. Think most cars recently released have been a step backwards. More so the R8. With probably the excepting being the TT. And don't get me started on their Alloy designs. Used to be the best around, but now some of the worst.

Someone on here has Rs6 performance alloys on their Vegas Yellow S3 don't they? Looked good...

What about a heads up display? I've never used one but can see how it could benefit the driver. I don't think it's an option on the A3, might be wrong.

I suppose the car will get more intelligent, blind spot detection (don't think this is standard) and other safety/self driving functions. As long as they can be disabled I can't disagree with having them...unless the cost of base car goes up by a tonne!
........got a picture please?.

Why would you `Want` the A3 to be bigger? Surely if you want a bigger A3, you buy an A4? No?

Every generation of car gets bigger. Those who have bought an A3 want that size of car. Want smaller, buy an A1. Bigger? Go buy an A4. Already the A3 saloon is as big as the B7 A4. The A4 is now once A6 large. The A6 is probably bigger than past A8's, and the A8 is just huge.

Better steering feel.
Better handling

Overall I'm disappointed with Audi's design at the minute. Think most cars recently released have been a step backwards. More so the R8. With probably the excepting being the TT. And don't get me started on their Alloy designs. Used to be the best around, but now some of the worst.
Your never going to get the manual gearbox,350 plus bhp on a S3 next time around..... For all the obvious reasons as you should know

Reactions: Flying Scotsman

Better steering feel.
Better handling

I want to have a wee bit more legroom (2") and headroom (1") in the rear of a redesign, as the present design is a bit cramped in the rear for adults. I would not buy an A4 as it is too large.
I agree with better steering/handling feel. The FL S3 has more rear bias to the Haldex in quattro dynamic mode. Personally, I would prefer more torque, as this is more useful in day to day driving than a big bump in bhp, 320 hp and remove initial lag from the turbo would suit me fine. Totally agree with your Audi alloy present wheel designs.

Your never going to get the manual gearbox,350 plus bhp on a S3 next time around..... For all the obvious reasons as you should know

But they do have the Gearbox though. The B7 RS4 was manual, and it was a great gearbox, going off memory.

CO2 figures, MPG (false) figures, and less people buying manuals, are going to be the death of the manual. Plus, it's cheaper to design one gearbox, rather than two. Shame really, as choice seems to be taken away with interaction.

Isn’t this the case for most cars?! Can’t say I’ve really noticed turbo lag in mine. Of course driving in efficiency doesn’t feel the most responsive but in auto or dynamic modes the car feels great.

Yes, most turbocharged cars suffer from some sort of lag, but I've never felt it anywhere more pronounced than in this S3. Even in dynamic mode, there's basically zero power for the first 0.5-1 second after you've floored the accelerator.

Things I'd like to see changed, after driving a little:

Virtual Cockpit: total gimmick as it stands - it needs more tweakability. There aren't enough layouts, and the customisation options are tiny.

Rear View Camera: field-of-view is terrible. It also keystones like crazy, there's no excuse for it not being full screen or even part of virtual cockpit.

Carplay: pointless without a touchscreen - needs a haptic touchpanel MMI in the new one.

Loving this car overall, but I this is the first car I've owned where things feel purposely crippled to make other models higher up in the range appeal more.

Reactions: 4K
Yes, most turbocharged cars suffer from some sort of lag, but I've never felt it anywhere more pronounced than in this S3. Even in dynamic mode, there's basically zero power for the first 0.5-1 second after you've floored the accelerator.
Most of this is STronic decision making lag. You have to plan ahead and use the paddles if you want to take off quickly whilst on the move.

Reactions: 4K and Jassyo06
For me the lag is more from slow rolling to a junctions, usually helped by either paddles or sport mode so assume the s tronic has a bit of a part to play

Reactions: 4K

Things I'd like to see changed, after driving a little:

Virtual Cockpit: total gimmick as it stands - it needs more tweakability. There aren't enough layouts, and the customisation options are tiny.

Rear View Camera: field-of-view is terrible. It also keystones like crazy, there's no excuse for it not being full screen or even part of virtual cockpit.

Carplay: pointless without a touchscreen - needs a haptic touchpanel MMI in the new one.

Loving this car overall, but I this is the first car I've owned where things feel purposely crippled to make other models higher up in the range appeal more.
I call a spade a spade on here as most know and knock Audi when it's due,, but l have to stick up for them with there Virtual Cockpit.. It's Thee class leading digital display in any car BMW's is nice and classy but ain't configurable at all, Mercedes benz again classy and configurable but again doesn't match Audi's user interface as it stands its the best out there

Did you actually drive one before the car you got ? As for the car feeling crippled in what respect ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom.H and TYb
I'd like to see S3 badges rather than S badges, they should be left on S-Lines.

Bit more power as I'm sure there will be, VC standard on S3 and as said, maybe some Recaro seats as an option like the old wing backs.

I call a spade a spade on here as most know and knock Audi when it's due,, but l have to stick up for them with there Virtual Cockpit.. It's Thee class leading digital display in any car BMW's is nice and classy but ain't configurable at all, Mercedes benz again classy and configurable but again doesn't match Audi's user interface as it stands its the best out there

Did you actually drive one before the car you got ? As for the car feeling crippled in what respect ?

Don't get me wrong, the virtual cockpit is good, and definitely is the best dashboard on the market. It's ruined me in some ways, because all analogue dials now seem crap in comparison.

However, it remains a gimmick right now because it's got so many missing features. It's just hugely limited - there's nothing to "discover" when you first use it, because the entire thing is navigable within a couple of minutes. The sections should be totally customisable, yet everything is locked down. Why isn't the rear view camera viewable and all the other things you have to turn to the MMI for? It's because they needed a reason to keep the MMI display. Why isn't the MMI a touch panel? I'd pay the extra £100 manufacturing cost if I could actually press the CarPlay buttons like you can in a Golf.

As for being crippled, up above lays it out mostly. So many things feel limited in a way that makes no sense, but the Virtual Cockpit is the biggest crime for me.

Overall I think it's a great car. It's waaaaaay better made than my 435D. But the VC has definitely annoyed me - it's weak.

A bit more power, more supportive seats, Akraprovix exhaust option like the Golf R.

I like the tech as it is, so just a refresh, nothing too drastic.

Bit more power as I'm sure there will be, VC standard on S3 and as said, maybe some Recaro seats as an option like the old wing backs.

The stand alone "S" doesn't bother me never payed much attention to the "3" on my last car mate so it is what it is ... Reading most posts on here it's extremely unlikely Audi will deliver any of them and in the unlikely case they do it will be in the expensive optional extras section on the configurator

Wish list more cloud Cuckoo land list lol

Reactions: Tom.H
Don't get me wrong, the virtual cockpit is good, and definitely is the best dashboard on the market. It's ruined me in some ways, because all analogue dials now seem **** in comparison.

However, it remains a gimmick right now because it's got so many missing features. It's just hugely limited - there's nothing to "discover" when you first use it, because the entire thing is navigable within a couple of minutes. The sections should be totally customisable, yet everything is locked down. Why isn't the rear view camera viewable and all the other things you have to turn to the MMI for? It's because they needed a reason to keep the MMI display. Why isn't the MMI a touch panel? I'd pay the extra £100 manufacturing cost if I could actually press the CarPlay buttons like you can in a Golf.

As for being crippled, up above lays it out mostly. So many things feel limited in a way that makes no sense, but the Virtual Cockpit is the biggest crime for me.

Overall I think it's a great car. It's waaaaaay better made than my 435D. But the VC has definitely annoyed me - it's weak.
I don't have VC and I've only used it on a Q2 courtesy car so only brief usage of the system.

For me, it did seem quite limited. With the exception of maps it just seemed to do everything the normal DIS can do, but it does look pretty cool. I don't use Google Satellite view on my MMI, nor did I try navigation while I had the car, so I'm not sure what the VC does for this.

You mention them needing a reason to keep the MMI, I would HATE for the MMI to go. Sure, most of the time I'm (the driver) is the one who is using it, but at times the passenger might be finding music or typing in a destination or something for me. Rather have it in the centre.. plus it gives the dashoard something to have on it.
Equally though I would hate a screen that is only touch, I just find them difficult to use while driving. I can navigate the MMI basically with my eyes shut, couldn't do the same with a touch screen while driving.

I wouldn't know what I would want to see on the VC though tbh.... could argue it is fine as it is, just a flashier view of normal stuff compared to the analogue dials etc. However people like my mum don't even know the info on the normal DIS, give her a VC and she would have no idea what to do with it.. if the speedo became small she would have no idea how to get back to the dials being large. So Audi need to keep it simple to a degree, especially if the only control for it is via the steering wheel.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The all new A3 will have a touch screen in the centre of the dash with haptic feedback but will also if optioned have a updated version of the virtual Cockpit, VC won't be standard

Suspension that isn't like a bouncy castle / pogo stick

Steering that actually has some accuracy and clarity

A gearbox that'll actually change up/down after a while and not hold gear at 6,000 revs for 20 minutes on end. Highly annoying in town if you just want to cruise in Dynamic without DBW lag.

Surely this is something every petrolhead S3 owner wants?

That too. Except I doubt it's turbo lag and more drive by wire lag from the gearbox.

I'm confused. They do have S3 badges?

I’m obviously the only one who loves the look of the 8V A3:blink:

Also, I really like the pop up mmi screen as well.

Oh, and someone mentioned the handling. Mine handles superbly and can take a corner as well as anything I’ve ever driven.

Either I’m just easily pleased (which I’m not btw) or some of you have dodgy A3’s:whistle2:

Reactions: palla1978
More supportive sports seats that can be lowered an inch or two more than now.

Less road noise on rough surfaces.