What would you do?

Kings999

Reaction score
Just had this email today from Audi,

"Your car has a provisional build date of w/c 6th July. Going by this date, we anticipate a delivery late July/ early August."

I was going to pick up the car on the 1st Sept, but this has made me rethink.
The only thing I would add is that I intend to keep the car for a good few years, my current car, a Golf is 10 years old.
What would you do, get it early or wait til the new registration.

What would you do ?
Honest answers please

My S3 is due to start on the same day, Im not too bothered about the new reg as I'll put on a private registration and I don't think the registration has any bearing on trade in. You only have the new reg for less than 6mths anyway

Tough one that, I picked mine up 1st March 2014 first thing in the morning. It's a pretty good feeling and was worth the wait, however it just made it to the dealer in time & I didn't face your Dilemma. I would say if you've waited this long what's an extra few weeks? Tell them you want to wait until the sept reg and see if they offer any incentive to tempt you in early.

Reactions: Kings999
What would be your hold-up of why you want to wait?
I remember my hold up when my A3 took delivery in October last year, that I wanted to make sure I was going to get the best finance rate. In the long run, I shouldn't have hesitated and pulled the trigger sooner, it didn't hurt me either way. Just my own mind working against me.

For the sake of a month I'd probably wait til September unless the dealer offers an incentive from what I've seen on cars arriving early for the 15 plate some were offered between 300-500 for early collection.

Reactions: Jassyo06
For that short time I would wait until Sept 1st. I know it doesn't make much or any difference to trade in, but if you took it in Aug I bet you would be ****** off when you see your first 65 plate in September!!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Madmo
I would wait if it arrives in august only few weeks and it would be better in your head that its a proper brand new 65 plate as opposed to a new 15 plate that is so 6 months ago by then lol

Mines a later build week than yours but if it was delivery early I'd wait for a 65 plate.
You'd have a new car then for six months & not just one.
My two pence worth.
Plus; Everything comes to he who waits :racer:

Last edited:
I've got the same build date as you. I'm going to pick mine up ASAP. New plates don't mean as much as they used to, particularly the September versions. Get it, enjoy it.

Reactions: THQuattro
I was in the exact same position earlier this year, with the car being at the dealer 1st/2nd week of Feb.

I waited until 1st Mar - I'm glad I did there was a nice atmosphere on collection day, if for no other reason...

I'm not sure a plate change makes much of a difference come trade in as from what I can see it's done on a month to month computer generated figure, plus if you're planning to keep it years then again it's irrelevant.

Personally I'd wait and get a Sept 1st delivery as it does feel kind of special driving out of a showroom on plate change day. As a kid I used to keep an eye out for a new August reg car and truth be told I still do but obviously March and Sept. Keep it clean and you've got a new car for 6 months.

September the 1st and set your mind to it Now...............unless like Rob said they make you little offer of a discount or something.

Reactions: Rob2k68
With the current number plate system I hardly notice the change every 6 months my wife definitely does not. Get the car and get yourself one of the cheaper private plates £250-350 and then you'll not notice the change.

I was in the same position last summer. The car arrived at the dealer in early July (although I was on holiday) and I collected toward the end of the month. So glad I did!

One consideration is that on 1st March and 1st September the dealers are insanely busy and I do wonder how much care and attention both the customers and cars get at these times? A random weekday some time before or after may often be the best bet in this regard :)

I waited four weeks to get the 15 reg. Remember the councils like to re surface the roads in August. I say re surface..but as we all know they throw some tar down and then some grit and rely on the motorist to push the grit into the tar...and into the car next to you!

Wait...!

Pick it up ASAP. Wouldn't be bothered about the plate! You'd miss 3/4 weeks of fun!

Where do you stand with picking up the car though? Could the dealer force you to pick it up? Or can you decide when you want to pick it up? I'v got the same build week as the OP and I'm picking mine up as soon as it arrives but I'm going to push for an "incentive"

Where do you stand with picking up the car though? Could the dealer force you to pick it up? Or can you decide when you want to pick it up? I'v got the same build week as the OP and I'm picking mine up as soon as it arrives but I'm going to push for an "incentive"

Dealer can't force you, and I suspect it depends on how the month is looking for them vs targets, if they are behind they may offer you something to take it early, common offers on here range between £350 - £500 ish, but I'm sure you could push them for more.

I'm going to say I want mine for a new plate, even through the wait will probably kill me and see what they say.

I'm not very good at waiting any longer than I have to so I would end up picking it up asap but as said before I'd Probly regret it by the time the 1st of sept came!

Ask them for an incentive for collecting early. I did when mine came earlier than anticipated and they threw in a free service.

I purposefully delayed mine as placing the order earlier this year I always said I wanted September collection. As for the trade in value, at the end of it's life when you trade it in my experience is they use the guide by registration (so using the two yearly points) then work on a rough monthly depreciation from that point. Basically i'm saying go for September!

Definitely wait for the new plate. When you come to sell in years to come the 65 plate will be worth so much more.

I ordered mine late May and was told by the dealer it would go into production mid July for end of August but would be worth waiting another week or two for the new plate in September. So... Have they effectively made a decision for me because he didn't say order now for delivery end of July which seems perfectly feasible based on what others have said on here about delivery dates.