What would you choose?

What would you choose between:

• Total voters

j0nny2013

Reaction score
Thought I would get a poll going for the question I am asking myself at the minute!

Quite a bit of a price difference though? The advanced key is £450 where as the LED's are £750?

I ordered mine with the Advanced key but not the LED's so I'm sticking with that.

I was tempted by advance key but ultimately after spending close to 40K I thought it's not essential.

LED light again not as much of s difference to warrant the extra spend. The all weather lights are cool though how they sweep alongside the front of the car.

In my view both are nice options but not essential. Therefore I would actually not go for either.

Reactions: Pickle1970
Yeah big price difference but if price wasnt an option would you have chose LED over key? I like them both but really cannot decide. 3 votes for key already!

I think the key is a nicer toy to have than better lights to be honest.

the xenon lights which i currently have are really nice as well just like the little difference's the LED's give like the indicators and brightness etc.

Do you drive a lot at night? Seems like a silly question but a valid one if you don't drive much in the dark :)

I've ordered both. We have Adv key on the A1 and it is pretty useful and looks cool but seems very expensive for what you get. The LED lights I dithered over as the Xenons are pretty good anyway. I justified it to myself as I make journeys on unlit dual carriageways at night and it should add a bit of value on resale. If I only had to pick one (and already had xenons) then I would go with Adv key.

Reactions: j0nny2013
LEDs, although I've not experienced audi ones I'm mightily impressed with the merc ones.
Keyless is too gimmicky I think.

I wouldn't take either unless you lived in the unlit countryside and need good lights.

Do you drive a lot at night? Seems like a silly question but a valid one if you don't drive much in the dark :)

yeah I drive quite a bit in the dark but nothing thats unheard of. 60/40 I would say in the dark.

Neither. Personally.

votes are at 50/50 at the moment! fair comments being made on both sides! and some saying neither to which case save some cash!

I guess you are thinking of changing your already ordered Spec?

When I ordered my A3 on Tuesday (last day before the 1st Oct price increase) the sales lady said that if I made any further changes to the spec after the 1st Oct it would trigger the price increase on the car so advised me not to change anything. Can anyone else confirm that this is right?

I guess you are thinking of changing your already ordered Spec?

When I ordered my A3 on Tuesday (last day before the 1st Oct price increase) the sales lady said that if I made any further changes to the spec after the 1st Oct it would trigger the price increase on the car so advised me not to change anything. Can anyone else confirm that this is right?

I would say that is a load of sh*t to be honest. you still ordered the car prior to the increase so changin the spec doesn't mean your odering a new one. I know it may affect the build date but other than that no price increase.

Yeah I did think that but I don't want to risk it unless someone can categorically tell me that this is not the case.

What is the procedure for changing the spec of an already ordered car? Simply call/email your dealer and tell them what you want to change/remove/add?

What is the procedure for changing the spec of an already ordered car? Simply call/email your dealer and tell them what you want to change/remove/add?

Always email, then there's no excuse for misunderstanding or errors.

Reactions: A3Kent
Neither, but I think you're more likely to notice advanced key than LED's ..

I went for Advanced Key over LED lights for 4 main reasons:-

1) On this forum I got the impression LED lights were not much brighter.
2) You can be certain they will be (even) more expensive that Xenons to replace if damaged.
3) I can do without the party tricks that LED lights bring
4) On my other car I have found the Advance Key useful.

Reactions: Ceho, Liquidfusion-S3 and j0nny2013
Thanks for that Dickiephitt, you have some very good valid points there!

With no 'neither' option I haven't voted :)

Personally, I'd rather save the cash or spend it on other more desirable options (but then I've had said the same for your red brake calipers..... ;) )

All a matter of personal choice. It would be a very boring world if we all liked and went for the same options. Take Sepang....... oh, hang on ;)

With no 'neither' option I haven't voted :)

Personally, I'd rather save the cash or spend it on other more desirable options (but then I've had said the same for your red brake calipers..... ;) )

All a matter of personal choice. It would be a very boring world if we all liked and went for the same options. Take Sepang....... oh, hang on ;)

haha yes you did say that! :)

totally true tho! imagine if we all drove exactly the same cars, boooring! apart from most will be sepang haha :thumbs up:

I voted on the basis of 'If I had to have one of them' and voted for the key.

This is on the understanding that I'll end up with the Xenons, not the halogens!

I ordered the Sport model and specced it with Xenon light pack. I didn't give much consideration to the key or the LEDs and didn't spec either.

I would say LED headlights, the demo I had came with adv key but I hated it tbh. It didn't have the LED headlights but a showroom S3 cab did which they showed me. They are a very nice touch and not many cars have them. Plus if you was keeping the car a long time least it will have in date tech in a few years even though I know audi are doing laser lights but keeps ahead of other manufacturers.

If your not sure, save some money. Don't spend for the sake of it.

LED's : some people don't think they make much difference, someone (on here I think) had a crunch in their car and the LED lights cost considerably more to repair than the options original price.

Advanced key : I've had Keyless blah blah in several cars. it's ok, but it was standard to that spec. I wouldn't actually bother spending extra on it.

As I have folding mirrors I know when the cars locked. This is another thing I think is required if you have
advanced key otherwise some sort of paranoia might set on as to whether the car is locked or not.

Your choice

I voted for the LED option.

This is the first time I've had LEDs and they REALLY are bright.
When you open the car and the lights come on, you can massively see the difference in an unlit car park compared to other cars.

Even the indicators light up the road / surrounding area at night.

I'm well impressed.

Advanced Key - Not my cup of tea at all, find it quite boring really. I like the reassuring click of me pressing the button to lock / unlock the car.

Reactions: Helifella and glospete
Id go for the headlights as its a fact that keyless technology makes your car easier to steal. And someone said they spent close to 40k so didnt think any of the two options were essential...Dont get that logic at all. If you spent 40k whats another few quid!

will people please stop it about advanced key "easier" to steal. The car is just as easy to steal advanced key or not, pffffffffft, media tell stories which peak peoples interest, thats it

Reactions: mcnallys and Liquidfusion-S3
A keyless car is easier to steal. You can recode a blank key with the right hardware and software and start the engine. With a regular key you need the break into someones house and steal the actual key.

Here we go - http://www.driving.co.uk/news/how-thieves-hack-into-and-steal-keyless-entry-cars/
Online Article said:
To comply with European regulations requiring independent mechanics and locksmiths, rather than just main dealerships, to be able to replace lost key fobs, many car makers include a feature that allows new fobs to be programmed from data held inside the car’s electronics. The data is protected by security software but some hackers appear to have cracked the codes and developed devices that thieves can use to access the data and program blank fobs.
And the video evidence is right there on that page as well. Enough for me to make up my mind anyway, but do what ya want :)

Reactions: Ceho and OliJ
LEDs all the way. They are both frivolous options, but the LEDs look great even when turned off. I had no hesitation in ordering them even though the only night driving I do is on motorways or in lit cities. I'd buy them even if they were worse than the xenons, just for the look. Whenever I see an a/s3 without them I feel a bit disappointed. I'm not normally this vacuous and vain, honest. I didn't order Advanced Key, but I'd quite like it.

S3 trev you misunderstand monopole, he's telling you an advanced key car over a standard key isn't necessarily easier to steal. Until (if there is such a thing) statistics on advanced key thefts are released you can't really make a conclusion they are easier to steal.

Yes the information on advanced keys is made available by law, but the ease of stealing can be just as fast as leaving your car key at the front of your home. I've seen Audi video thefts for both and they really can be just as quick.

To justify leaving out advanced key due to theft...if someone really wants your car a standard ignition isn't going to deter them.

I couldn't justify LED lights! So I went with AK.

You could ditch both and upgrade your seats to SSS.

Not voted.
Both a waste of cash.

Reactions: Ceho
A3_Rider, I understand him perfectly. This is shown in the reply that I give to him, where I point out some serious weaknesses in keyless entry cars. Now it would seem that you misunderstand, as you do not need to break into the house to get a key in order to steal a car with keyless entry, wheras you do with a normal key. Yes its still far from easy and high risk as you will prob set the alarm off and cause other noise etc but still, its a flaw that a standard key does not have (AFAIK from the material available to me).
And yes totally agree, if they want it they will have it, but why give it to them on a plate eh?