What wheel width setup?

scotty dugg

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sorry for my first post but searched and couldn't find anything, looking at 18" rims for an 8P2, lowering 30ishmm in the future. Which is the better option 8" front & rear or 8" front/9" rear? ET42 on both. I dont want to worry about rubbing or rolling the arches.

Would consider spacers in the future but which is the best setup to start off with.

Love 19" wheels but just not doable with the daily commute on country roads
unhappy.gif

Also since I've started a thread, whats the opinion on fitting an aftermarket grille? such as:

Awesome - FK Blackout Mesh Grille with Logo Holder - A3 8P 05->

or is it better to just black vinyl the chrome? Love the black edition front grille and just want to remove the chrome frame.

cheers in advance,

Scott

HI Scott, welcome to the forum!

firstly the grill looks good, though I personally don't like that bar that goes across the grill to the rings. I myself have an FK grill on the car and love the way it looks

As for the wheels most are advised to stay away from the 9j as they are too wide for the a3 and cause lots of rubbing issues, yes you can start to play with the camber but most prefer not to.
On 8j and et 42 your alloys will sit almost flush at the front, the rear won't be too noticible but you may want to chuck in a 5mm spacer on there but I would say try it without and see what you think first.

The other question is what width tyres you going to fit? 215 or 225? On 18s with a 30mm drop 225 should be fine, but if you choose the 9j then you would probably have to stretch the 215 on the alloys.

There are a couple guys on here that have the 9j alloys on their a3 so maybe they can come and give you some better info on those...
and our resident wheel whore N8 should be along shortly

HI Scott, welcome to the forum!

firstly the grill looks good, though I personally don't like that bar that goes across the grill to the rings. I myself have an FK grill on the car and love the way it looks

As for the wheels most are advised to stay away from the 9j as they are too wide for the a3 and cause lots of rubbing issues, yes you can start to play with the camber but most prefer not to.
On 8j and et 42 your alloys will sit almost flush at the front, the rear won't be too noticible but you may want to chuck in a 5mm spacer on there but I would say try it without and see what you think first.

The other question is what width tyres you going to fit? 215 or 225? On 18s with a 30mm drop 225 should be fine, but if you choose the 9j then you would probably have to stretch the 215 on the alloys.

There are a couple guys on here that have the 9j alloys on their a3 so maybe they can come and give you some better info on those...
and our resident wheel whore N8 should be along shortly

Cheers for the info ash,
t'll be 225 tires that id be running, cant run any lower a profile with the roads up my way. As for the fk grille is it still possible to fit the sline badge to them? I looked at the s3 style n wasnt as big a fan of them.

Sorry for the huge list of questions, but the sline is 15mm down on standard? So lowering ideally would be a 35mm drop? I spent hours searching tge site and just want to clarify before i start spending monies.

Cheers
Scott

Yes the Sline badge does fit it, though you may need to modify the badge slightly. i ended up taking the back part of the badge off (the prongs) and glued the badge to the holder.

this is what mine looked like when it was new:

DSCN2019.jpg

and with the Sline badge in place:

e6126e4cjpg.jpg

What springs are you looking at fitting? the Eibach pro kit will drop the car very slightly but you will gain comfort and ride quality on the car. then the eibach sportlines will give you a lower drop but still handle well...

here is Ads' car which is running 18" Fat fives with the eibach sportline springs:

img1737111.jpg

Yes the Sline badge does fit it, though you may need to modify the badge slightly. i ended up taking the back part of the badge off (the prongs) and glued the badge to the holder.

this is what mine looked like when it was new:

DSCN2019.jpg

and with the Sline badge in place:

e6126e4cjpg.jpg

What springs are you looking at fitting? the Eibach pro kit will drop the car very slightly but you will gain comfort and ride quality on the car. then the eibach sportlines will give you a lower drop but still handle well...

here is Ads' car which is running 18" Fat fives with the eibach sportline springs:

img1737111.jpg

Cheers again, im not sure on the s3 grille probably be the one from the link i posted. Long as tge sline bsdge goes on. It was tge eibach kit that i was thinking, wheres the best place for getting tge sportlines? Ive a 06 quattro 2.0tdo

Cheers again ash, il get on to him next month. Whats the general consensus on hids on the forum? I was considering it but with mot failure after the law change do most just upgrade bulbs? If so what do they go for? I think thats the last of my questions haha

Wheels ordered for pick up on the weekend, cheers for the input ash :)

Anyone able to offer info on headlight bulb upgrades i mentioned in the above post?

Cheers
Scott