What was your 1st motorcycle

motorbikez

Reaction score
Mine was a single cylinder yamaha RS 125 with a drum brake on the back single disc on the front would do 75mph flat out down a hill,athough I'd messed with clapped out trials bikes in the fields old bultacos and gelliras the yam was the 1st bike I'd bought.

Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat - 2 yrs ago when I passed my direct access. Great torquey bike & cheap insurance for a 21yr old. Never even ridden a motorbike before i started lessons - so i went from no idea how to ride a bike to 100bhp/160mph bike in 2 wks. I miss that bike!

I was given "on permanent loan" a Kawasaki EX-500 which was an imported American version of the GPZ-500. The "owner" worked a helicopter chief technician working with my dad for Qinetiq at Boscombe Down and had completely rebuilt the bike some years ago, repainted everything & new bodywork, looked like new! It had been in storage and he didnt use it as had 2 cars & 8 motorbikes! Was a perfect 1st bike, 50bhp parallel twin just like I did my DAS on. Couldnt go above 100mph really (on a private road of course) as the mirrors would fold up!! Had that for about 18mths then had the money to buy something cooler, so 3 years ago the week before xmas I bought myself the blue Kawasaki ZX6R B1 Ninja you see in my profile picture. Its an absolute rocket and handles so sweetly i've never wanted to change it. i'd always wanted a blue Ninja since day 1 so dreams do come true! Still cant ride it to its potential as have been so busy the past 2 years doing proffesional accountancy exams which wipes out Aug-Nov basically when the weathers good! Taking a break next summer though to get some serious mileage done, plan to go to the Ron Haslam race school at Donnington to learn proper track craft before doing my own track days.

Its going to be a good year in 2008! Where are people based by the way, perhaps a 2 wheeled as-net gathering could be arranged at some point? Im a Hampshire boy by the way.

'89 Yamaha XJ600. Quick enough for a first bike.
'97 Suzuki Bandit 1200. Bought new and dropped on day 2 :sadlike: . Kept it for 4 years and still miss the torque

Currently riding a 2001 Honda VFR. Bought new and since it does all I need I've not changed it.

However I don't do much touring these days so I'm hankering after a Triumph Speed Triple or KTM Super Duke. Probably go for the KTM as Triumph build quality seems a bit dodgy.

Nickynibbles said:
Its going to be a good year in 2008! Where are people based by the way, perhaps a 2 wheeled as-net gathering could be arranged at some point? Im a Hampshire boy by the way.

Yeah I'd be up for a meet maybe a british superbike race or show I'll post something up after Christmas with a few suggestions and see what response is.

Rev-head said:
Air cooled RD 250 coffin tank (death machine)
I remember them my first quick bike was an RD 400E looked exactly the same as RD 250 but was a real flyer.

motorbikez said:
Yeah I'd be up for a meet maybe a british superbike race or show I'll post something up after Christmas with a few suggestions and see what response is.

Just noticed your in Cumbria, a little far north from Hampshire! Aiming to get to Donnington for the MotoGP which might be a reasonably central location for people from all over the country?

First bike Yamaha TY 80
First bike I bought CR 250
I raced most of my life so countless MX and track bikes

My road bike history
Honda XL 100
Honda MTX 200
CBR 600
Fireblade
VTR 1000

I would love another MTX200.

My very first bike, for offroad use only, was a C50, bought off my school.
Very progressive school, used to teach us on the pitches, using the C50 and an SS50.
Since then though...

XL185
MB50
MTX80
RD80LC
RD125LC
RD350LC
RD500LC
3 x Honda VFR750
FZ750
Kawasaki KR1 (first race bike)
KR1S (race bike)
3 x RGV250 (all race bikes)
2 x CBR600 (1 x race bike, 1 x road/trackday bike)
2 x GSXR600
2 x ZX6
1 x ZX636 (for 1 week, hated it)

I'm currently on the lookout for a tidy RD500LC again.
My one's life was cut short by an uninsured Porsche 911 driver...

Mine was actually a small plastic police TRIKE!!! With a working blue light on the front! Had 1 CP (child power) through a leg transmission.

Some thing not too unlike this, but mine had a light and before kids got lazy and had batteries do all the work for them.

police-patrol-tri-bike.jpg

First one was a Honda Camino 50cc in 1977
Since then:
Honda SS50 in 1978 (that one was then fitted with a 72CC)
Yamaha RD250 in 1979 ( Sold it to buy my first car)
Suzuki GSX1100EF (1998 model) in 1992
Current bikes:
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
1997 Suzuki Freewind 650
1985 Beta 240
1984 Yamaha XJ550
2000 HRD125
1998 Piaggio Liberty 125

bowfer said:
My very first bike, for offroad use only, was a C50, bought off my school.
Very progressive school, used to teach us on the pitches, using the C50 and an SS50.
Since then though...

XL185
MB50
MTX80
RD80LC
RD125LC
RD350LC
RD500LC
3 x Honda VFR750
FZ750
Kawasaki KR1 (first race bike)
KR1S (race bike)
3 x RGV250 (all race bikes)
2 x CBR600 (1 x race bike, 1 x road/trackday bike)
2 x GSXR600
2 x ZX6
1 x ZX636 (for 1 week, hated it)

I'm currently on the lookout for a tidy RD500LC again.
My one's life was cut short by an uninsured Porsche 911 driver...

Had quite a few bikes in your time bowfer.Try putting an advert in the vintage japanese motorcycle club for the RD500LC you might be lucky and get one. email www.vjmc.com

I must have missed quite a few, because pub discussions with my mates and brother have determined I've actually owned 37 bikes in my time.
I think I've only listed around 23 there.
They often remind me of bikes I simply cannot remember I've owned!
I've been offered one RD500LC already, but it wasn't right.
It was actually an RZ500, jap model with the alloy frame and gold wheels.
I want a proper UK RD500LC, with the painted steel frame.
I'm also tinkering with the idea of buying an old VFR750 and doing it up to look like Wayne Rainey's one from the Transatlantic challenges, when he and Schwantz blew everyone away.

Italjet Miniminibambino, 50cc when I was 2 and a half!!
been riding since!

Got made reduntant in 1996...and went up to hear the news on the back of a ZZR1100 (1st time on a big bike!). Loved it...
With redundancy money burning the usual hole in my pocket, did a week long course and passed my test.
Went looking for a suitable 1st bike...

Bought this 6 months later (having never sat on a bike since passing my test)
1993 CBR900RRP:

FirebladeNo21999.jpg

It didn't look like that when I bought it, it was standard.
The changes were mostly the result of it trying to kill me...it was getting expensive. And painful.

Perhaps not one of my more sensible decisions.

Yeah I don't think a blade is a suitable 1st bike have you got a bike now Ess Three or were you put off for life damaging youself and bike?

No bike just now...been 6 years without.
I had to sell to help buy the S3 when I wrote my ITR off.

I'd hardly used it the previous 2 years though, little confidence after a major smash...sadly, I thought I was better on a bike than I actually was.
James Toseland aspirations with James Morrison ability I think.

I enjoyed my time on it though. Still got all my gear...so you never know.
I basically keep the 911 to make sure I stay off bikes...I'll live longer that way, but every year without fail I'm tempted back....and every winter the history of broken bones reminds me why I should stick to cars!

1993 CBR900RRP:

FirebladeNo21999.jpg

The changes were mostly the result of it trying to kill me...it was getting expensive. And painful.

I like the single-sided swing arm mod. (was it from a vfr?)

my first bike was a mid seventies ts125 which i bought for £25 when i was 14 (late 80's) and used it as a field bike since then ive had many crossers, trials bikes and road bikes in which my first was a cbr600 quickly followed by a cbr900rrt, i now have a dr-z400s for fun and commuting.

I had a couple of FS1E's as a 14 year old Kid.

First main bike I bought was a GSXR750
Now I've got a Fireblade.

My wife had a DT100 to learn on, then I bought her a RD350LC for her main bike.......
Since then shes had 2x Honda Bros & 1x Yamaha FZR600

a4quat said:
I like the single-sided swing arm mod. (was it from a vfr?)

It was a Metmachex part, based on a 916 design. Cast swingarm, Brembo Goldline GP rear calliper, 916 Corsa hub (you got to pick from RC30/RVF/VFR/916 bubs), 916 carbon hugger...and PVM magnesium wheel.
It was a really nice set up.

I'd still fancy a new 'blade now.
Maybe one day...

I missed out on gettinfg a bike when I was a teenager....the folks were having none of it ("not whilst you live under my roof" etc) so I had to wait until I'd moved out and got settled with the mortgage before i could get into bikes.

Just posting up the bikes I've had over the years although not as many as some of you lads.

RS 125 YAM
RD 400 YAM
XS 750 YAM
GS 1000 SUZI
CB 400 HONDA
FZ 600 fazer
GSXR 1000 K4
HONDA fireblade RR6

Kawasaki AR50

Till some **** pulled out in front of me causing me to go through their windscreen.

First and last bike for me!

Ess_Three said:
Got made reduntant in 1996...and went up to hear the news on the back of a ZZR1100 (1st time on a big bike!). Loved it...
With redundancy money burning the usual hole in my pocket, did a week long course and passed my test.
Went looking for a suitable 1st bike...

1993 CBR900RRP:

FirebladeNo21999.jpg

Perhaps not one of my more sensible decisions.

Take that thing away Glen or I'm headed for the bike shop in the morning.

Italjet 50 (6 yr old)
TY 50 (7)
TY 80 (8)
RM 80
YZ 125
IT 250
YZ 465 A beast of a thing
Tri Z 250 with 4 wheel conversion
DT 50 first road bike, micron exhaust, totally unrestricted good for 55mph
RM 250
DT 125
RD 125 air cooled, good for 100mph
FZR 600R
Cagiva 250 never again
Can Am 250 Enduro
Triumph Daytona 955i

Never had a motorbike or a scooter. Not feeling that I'm missing anything. I'd rather stay alive and kicking.

Ess_Three said:
How did you like the Triumph Andy?

Brilliant Glen, never thought I'd get a Triumph until I had a shot of my mates 955, can keep up if not beat a lot of the Jap offerings, very reliable, sounds great with the carbon race can, handling and breaking are up with the best of them, only niggle is the riding position for me but being 6'2" I doubt I'd find a comfortable sports bike

AndybS3 said:
Brilliant Glen, never thought I'd get a Triumph until I had a shot of my mates 955, can keep up if not beat a lot of the Jap offerings, very reliable, sounds great with the carbon race can, handling and breaking are up with the best of them,

I like them...good to hear you like it.

only niggle is the riding position for me but being 6'2" I doubt I'd find a comfortable sports bike

I'm 6'3" and found the 'blade great, although I'm not sure the new ones would be as comfortable since they are a fair bit smaller.

I luuuuurve the sound of the 955i, they have an understated style in my opinion, a bike like a duke 916, people just have to have a look! With the 600 & then 675 Triumph are going from strength to strength by all accounts which is pretty good for a small'ish time brit bike manufacturer!

Ess_Three said:
I'm 6'3" and found the 'blade great, although I'm not sure the new ones would be as comfortable since they are a fair bit smaller.

You are not wrong there mate I'm 6'1" and am seriously thinking of chopping the blade in for a BMW K1200S I was considering K1200R sport but BMW have dropped it after only a year in production apparently it didn't sell too well.
New RR8 blade is tiny.

Nickynibbles said:
I luuuuurve the sound of the 955i, they have an understated style in my opinion, a bike like a duke 916, people just have to have a look! With the 600 & then 675 Triumph are going from strength to strength by all accounts which is pretty good for a small'ish time brit bike manufacturer!

Love the triple sound too and am tempted by a new Speed Triple but I have serious concerns about the build quality as it appears to have dropped in recent years.

Also a minor thing but I rode a Speed Triple 955 a few years back and the throttle was the heaviest I've ever used. Might have been a one-off. What's yours like?

i had maligutti 50 somthing or other, honda sky 50, honda cub 90 (great bike!) and a honda 400rr babyblade in nc 29 colours (miss you).

I sat on the new blade at the bike show last weekend and it did seem smaller than mine (RR-S), but not incomfortable. (I'm only 5.10 though).

davidhodgkinson said:
I had a couple of FS1E's as a 14 year old Kid.

First main bike I bought was a GSXR750
Now I've got a Fireblade.

My wife had a DT100 to learn on, then I bought her a RD350LC for her main bike.......
Since then shes had 2x Honda Bros & 1x Yamaha FZR600

My first bike was a 1978 Suzuki AP50. I loved it (could get 58mph with my chin on the tank), I spent my 17th year just looking for FS1Es to race. :rockwoot: