What tyres???

bonerp

Reaction score
Hi I am in the market for some new rubber soon. Being a heavy diesel, I'd like a hardwearing tyre thats comfortable, good in damp and wet conditions and stick like sh1t.

Any recommendations?????????
Thanks
Paul

If only I had a penny for every time this topic comes up!

The tyre with the requirements you're after does not exist. The softer the tyre, the better the grip. The harder the tyre, the longer the life, but the worse the grip gets. Do a search and read through the dozen or so "What Tyres?" threads that are already on this forum and you'll have your answer.

Personally I recommend the Pirelli P-Zero Nero as a good balance between grip and life. Another good one is the Goodyear F1.

I've previously hadd several sets of Eagle F1's but currently running Michelin Pilot sports and they seem pretty good. Covered 12k on the fronts so far and I estimate they are only just over half worn so I might go for another pair of those.

bonerp said:
Hi I am in the market for some new rubber soon. Being a heavy diesel, I'd like a hardwearing tyre thats comfortable, good in damp and wet conditions and stick like sh1t.

Any recommendations?????????
Thanks
Paul

It's a million dollar question but here's my input....

I've had lots of different tyres over the years and as already said - depends on what you want - longevity grip or a balance of the two.

I liked my Bridgestones and Michelins but found them to be very soft (the price of being more grippy) and lasted less than 10,000 miles per set.

I have just put on another set of Dunlop SP9090's (235/45 R17) as I have had two others ets on the the A4 and both have done me proud - c.30,000 miles per set :w00t: and I am not a steady driver although my car is quattro and this does help with the tyres wearing evenly rather than fronts first.

See my thread for a 5% discount at blackcircles.com - I couldn't get cheaper for a fitted price.

CM

I'm using Goodyear Excellence all round on my FWD 1.9 TDI 130. Checked them yesterday and the fronts are at 4mm after 12k miles so I'll probably get 15K from them. Considering the OE Conti SC2s where down to 4mm after 8k I'm quite happy. Performance seems similar.

Rears have only worn 1mm in 12k so I'll put them on the front and get new Excellence on the rear.

I bought mine through http://www.mytyres.co.uk who are substantially cheaper than black circles. However when I got them fitted, the fitter said they could have got them even cheaper so it's always worth trying the local guys first.

thanks guys appreciate your time - I know its an age old subject but new tyres come out and wear experiences are good to hear anyway! And I'm a lazy sod! lol
Paul

Macduff said:
I bought mine through http://www.mytyres.co.uk who are substantially cheaper than black circles. However when I got them fitted, the fitter said they could have got them even cheaper so it's always worth trying the local guys first.

Always shows its best to shop around...depends on what deals each dealer has with their suppliers.

Nickynibbles said:
Michelin Primacy's - nuff said!!

I've got a set of these on... 14k miles 5.5 mill left. Excellent all round tyre. Very predictable, well balanced, smooth and quiet. Will try the new Primacy HP next time, even better life apparantly!!

I have Michelin Primacy on the front and Michelin Pilot Sport on the Rears

103Quid a corner - seem very hard wearing tho, which is decent!

I have Toyo Proxes on the front.

They've proved very good so far, 6k on them and i believe they'll see 12-15k. Appear nearly identical in feel to Yokohama's, although half the price!

I always go for Falken they are soft and grippy and very very good in the wet, this means if you are like me you will get 10-12k usage from them, saving grace is theyare only 88 quid a corner.

All I can say is don't pirelli Nero as these were loud as hell on my diesel. Sounded like a wheel bearing had gone! Crap grip too. Continentals give range and not bad grip. Dunlop sport maxx were too soft and I had them melting on my petrol round silverstone(which is how I drive on the road incidently) lol. I now have Dunlop sp sports which are holding out well and have good, balanced grip and plenty of feed back off the road. Around £150 each I paid. I was speaking to a guy on here who brought a buget tyre who said were amazing so shop about and try your luck then let us know