What tyres are on your S4 and are you happy with performance?

Necroscope

Reaction score
Just wondering what tyres are fitted to your S4's? I have Dunlop MAXX GT's on a 255/35/19 96Y A0, and TBH they are crap!

What really sparks this post though is the fact that i picked up a nail in the off side rear which i decided to get repaired for a couple of reasons:

Cost (this side of Christmas)
Life left in remaining rubber
and the desire to fit anything other than Dunlop

I also dont think i will be going anywhere particularly fast before March of next year. I dont want to get in to a fight over if a repair is the clever way forward, but i did ask the fitter how many miles he thought the tyre had done. He thought 2-3K, so when i said 12.5K he couldnt beleive it. I also noted he had a major job pulling the reinforced wall over the alloy rim.

So this started me thinking i wonder if their is something wrong with this batch of tyres rubber compound? Could they be too hard, hence the extended life and poor grip?

Thoughts?

Phil.

Something else to note is that when turning on full lock at slow speed i can hear the tyre almost skidding rather that pulling the car around, possibly another sign of a hard compound?

Can't help much other than to say I did not like the OEM Bridgestones, and I also am not wild about the Sport Maxx GT's either!

will probably go back to Yokohama at next change, (always ran them on previous A4/S4's without complaint).

Had the stock 18 wheels with the dunlops, oe fitment I guess,

Just had new 19s fitted with continental sport contact 3 in 255 x 35 x 19 and the first thing I noticed was I didn't have the crazy slow speed understeer the dunlops had when cold,

These were brand new tyres and it was about 3C, and I expected the usual front end slip on full lock, nothing, gripped nicely

CS3's will be my preference when i can bring myself to dump the Dunlops.

I emailed Dunlop regarding the wear and lack of grip, their CS is frankly shocking and basically useless to individuals like us. Thanks for all the help Dunlop..........NOT!

i did ask the fitter how many miles he thought the tyre had done. He thought 2-3K, so when i said 12.5K he couldnt beleive it. I also noted he had a major job pulling the reinforced wall over the alloy rim.

I've got them on my 19's. I've done 10k miles and a when the garage serviced the car they estimated 60% remaining. Many of hour miles are short so there's lots of lock to lock turns in proportion to the miles.

"reinforced wall" = he did appreciate that they're run-flats didn't he?

In the snow last year they were appalling but then with such a big foot print that wasn't a surprise.

I do find them noisier than Michelins but not much different to Goodyears.

How long before you should change tyres. I reckon I'll still be on these at 5 years!