What Type of Headlight

Steveh24

Reaction score
I have recently bought a 2012 Audi A5 S Line 3.0 TDI Quattro Sportback, but the first thing I've noticed is that the headlights are not very bright, but in order to replace them I need to know what type of headlight it fitted, how can I find out if they are Halogen or Xenon

If it helps the lights dance about when switched on, think this is the self leveler

Last edited:
If when the lights are switched they move up and down and maybe side to side they are probably BiXenon. They should look pretty white type of light. If the lense is clear and in good shape I'm surprised that they are not bright. If the lense is fogged or dull there are kits out there to refinish them but truthfully replacing them is the best but expensive way to go. BiXenons use bulbs and a ballast but they usually just die and not go weak. I'd find another car that you know has BiXenons and compare.

Looks like my Dipped Beams are DS3's and I think my High Beams are H7 (477).

I've bought a pair of Osram DS3 Xenarc Lasers for the dipped beam, but what can I replace the H7's with that are a lot more powerful.

The headlights on this Audi are next to useless at night, so I need to replace them with something that works.

You're confusing youreself. As I mentioned above you're bulb is a D3S

The name bi xenons kinda gives it away.... it's the same bulb for low and high beam.

The standard ones I found were pretty naff even though there Phillips. I've put in 6k in mine and there much better, match the drl too (I'd recommend 6k) I did have 8k but decided I wanted slightly brighter output.

Then if you want to improve even more adjust them. But I think you'll be happy. (Don't wanna burst you're bubble but you'll probably not see any difference when you put you're new ones in)