What turbo?! B5 Quattro Sport 1.8t

JAMason

Reaction score
I'm just curious, does anyone have any experience with the B5 A4 Quattro Sport? (1.8t AJL engine with 180bhp)

I'm looking to maybe get one in the near future to replace my TT 225, and know the small Ko3 turbo fitted to these cars is a sticking point for power output. They aren't much use for over 210bhp with a good map.

Could you direct swap a Ko3s in there to squeeze out a couple more horses or even a Ko3s hybrid and map it to push on for 250bhp?! I'm aware the injectors would also need doing as the standard ones are maxed out around the 200 mark.

I'm just spit balling ideas for a potential future purchase! Would just be nice to push the power to a usable 250 mark with a bit more torque.

Jack

A hybrid unit from beachbuggy will see a nice power gain of upto 280hp with supporting mods but would need stronger conrods and better clutch !!

Or theres the frankenturbo F21 kit but iirc the beachbuggy one has slightly larger wheels, but the F21 comes with manifold and TIP !!

A hybrid unit from beachbuggy will see a nice power gain of upto 280hp with supporting mods but would need stronger conrods and better clutch !!

Or theres the frankenturbo F21 kit but iirc the beachbuggy one has slightly larger wheels, but the F21 comes with manifold and TIP !!

280hp sounds decent! Would the beachbuggy hybrid be a direct swap, using the standard manifold but just need a new TIP? I understand the need for a better clutch, but why the conrods?! Are the standard ones not up to the job?! Would the frankenturbo also need the conrods doing or does that not create as much boost so less power and less danger of it busting a rod?

Jack

You'll need rods with both turbos as the rods are the weak link in our engines or you could probably safe map it !!

If people are going for an f21 why do they not just go gt28rs or something similar if they are needing a new manifold anyway?
Or is it a cost thing?

GTRS is twice the cost of the F21 with very little difference in performence. I netted 343 on the GTRS with a little more to come, but it costed me 600 landed iirc used and my car has every supporting mod that you can think of , i'd bet a new F21 would be much the same money on std mani and its upgraded tip and still produce 260 ++ potentially ok for std rods

If people are going for an f21 why do they not just go gt28rs or something similar if they are needing a new manifold anyway?
Or is it a cost thing?

Probably a cost thing, also much easier as to get the full kit from Frankenturbo it's just over £1000 delivered to your door, and that's injectors, turbo, mani, gaskets and conversion to a 3" maf! Can't be 100% sure though.

On a separate note, either of you two got a progress blog? I've not come across anyone who is modifying a 1.8TQS B5 at all.

Jack

Having changed to a k04 before I would personally go to a gt type turbo as the manifold etc will allow you to change out to a different turbo in the future. Give a bit more flexability than the kkk type.

I have not done much reading into the f21 but will have a look. Reading us sites though often people change from eliminators etc to full big turbo not too far down the line.

Its like with anything you get you like it for so long then the novelty wears off and then you want something bigger and better !!

yes everyone would love to slap a big *** GT turbo on, but then theres cost and time involved and fabrication of downpipe, intake etc so the K04/hybrids offer a bolt on solution for us 1.8T owners that have daily drivers, if it was a toy/weekend motor and with the implication of it being a track day car then id say yes GT all the way, but the hybrids offer quick spool and a good low/mid range performance which makes for a nice fast road saloon !!

I have just read all of Byzan's 16 page thread and it would appear that a hybrid turbo doesn't actually offer much more performance. :motz:

He ended up slapping a big turbo in there in the end because the hybrid fitted at the start took a lot of time and effort and didn't actually offer much in terms of extra performance, the Ko3 housing limits boost and the turbo just runs out of puff before power can be created! Only way to go is big GT turbos!

Still, the 1.8t QS is a lovely car and I still want one! :)

Jack

You don't need to be going that fast around a bend for the 1.8TQS to be fun! :)

As bradderz says, if you're running it as a daily driver then hybrid does make some sense. If you want full power get a GT...or an S4? ;)

S4 is next on the shopping list for me, but I need to move house and learn more about taking bits apart first. I read recently that if you own an S4 you pretty much need to have a huge wallet or be able to pull the engine as they need a fair whack of maintenance.

You don't need to be going that fast around a bend for the 1.8TQS to be fun! :)

As bradderz says, if you're running it as a daily driver then hybrid does make some sense. If you want full power get a GT...or an S4? ;)

S4 is next on the shopping list for me, but I need to move house and learn more about taking bits apart first. I read recently that if you own an S4 you pretty much need to have a huge wallet or be able to pull the engine as they need a fair whack of maintenance.

Correct about the S4. I want one, but like you I have other priorities and have decided a B5 TQS will do for now instead. A good friend of mine had a lovely 500bhp S4 and had to keep £2000 in the bank "just in case!" Most jobs involve engine out, even just doing the stat was bumper, lights, rad and FMIC off...not easy things to look after but loads of fun to drive, especially when they are running Ko4 turbos and pushing in for 500bhp and earth shattering torque!!

Jack

I've yet to have a go in a standard one, nevermind a modded one. I'd love one though, they're gorgeous cars, and in my opinion becoming iconic. And I much prefer them to the v8 B6, which just seems dull, apart from that v8 noise.