What tool for coding some retrofits

jwhat

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've got a reverse camera, hill hold assist and driver assist parts coming for my 2017 Avant, what's the best thing to code them?
VCDS, VCP or OBDeleven?

Carista, cheaper, better and via an app on Bluetooth. OBD Eleven has awful and rude tech support from the developer

Carista took years to properly support the B9 A9, and released only beta versions in the begining which were woeful. Whereas ODB11 just worked and is free to use once purchased if you use their long coding instead of the apps. There is also plenty of support out there.

Carista has a stack load of fully fledged mods for the A5 B9.5 compared to four on the OBD 11

Reactions: Double V
Carista cannot code your planned retrofits as it only really offers a list of “pre-set” options. You need a tool which will allow both long coding and adaptation channel editing like VCDS.

Reactions: cuke2u
I've stumbled across a few horror stories about peoples attempts at coding. Someone changed their start up screen to say Quattro and it messed up their fuel gauge from working! Apparently the Quattro models have two fuel tanks instead of one on non-quarto cars. It didn't just change the start up screen. It made the entire car think it was Quattro. Not only that but apparently the car now also thought it was left hand drive!

I'd be wary of any coding and would feel a lot happier finding a professional for retrofit coding work. Although there is no way to know if they are doing it properly either. Just be very careful and most importantly, whatever you are using, backup your existing code values or write them down in case it goes wrong and you need to revert.

I'm looking at getting the reverse camera and folding mirrors for mine too but I would like to take it to a shop who can do it all for me. If anyone has any recommendations for the South East of where I can get that done I'm all ears!

Reactions: spartacus 68
I would suggest OBD11 Pro(long code option). Plenty of threads and guides out there already for most of common and doable retrofits. Even if the guide is in VCDS coding, its easily done with obd11 as well. For some retrofits u might need a VCP flash or the kufatec dongle tho. As coding is not enough u need to change camera parameters ( i think this goes for the OEM reverse cam)

I've stumbled across a few horror stories about peoples attempts at coding. Someone changed their start up screen to say Quattro and it messed up their fuel gauge from working! Apparently the Quattro models have two fuel tanks instead of one on non-quarto cars. It didn't just change the start up screen. It made the entire car think it was Quattro. Not only that but apparently the car now also thought it was left hand drive!

I'd be wary of any coding and would feel a lot happier finding a professional for retrofit coding work. Although there is no way to know if they are doing it properly either. Just be very careful and most importantly, whatever you are using, backup your existing code values or write them down in case it goes wrong and you need to revert.

I'm looking at getting the reverse camera and folding mirrors for mine too but I would like to take it to a shop who can do it all for me. If anyone has any recommendations for the South East of where I can get that done I'm all ears!

it did not messed up mine...
my start-up screen is Quattro and everything works fine...

i code mine using VCDS...

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been using the old VCDS for a few years but with the B9 I need the newer cable so I was seeing what other options are out there first.

Can Carista activate VIM on A5 B9.5 with a click of a button or do we require coding (have no knowledge on that).

Thanks