What to replace an S3 with???

col6821

Reaction score
Okay, due to household budget constraints it's looking like my S3 will have to be replaced in favour of a cheaper (to buy and to run) diesel.

I'm thinking of (in no particular order)...

2004 Skoda Fabia VRs
2005 Ford Fiesta Zetec - S TDCi
2003 VW Golf GT Tdi PD 130, or 150

Anyone have any recommendations or other alternatives to suggest?

Budget is about £8k by the way.

A3 (8L) TDI sport quattro?

Still get the 4 wheel drive, and a few toys, and you'll get 45-49mpg.

Tooks said:
A3 (8L) TDI sport quattro?

Still get the 4 wheel drive, and a few toys, and you'll get 45-49mpg.

Good choice, but if I have to lose the S3, then I don't think I'll want to be reminded of it every day!

What about a Leon TDi? You'll get more car for the money than the comparable Golf.

yep the Leon Cupra Tdi looks really good IMO

i'd pick the VRS, really really surprising little cars, however they are holding their money really strongly, so will pay a bit more for one, but hopefully come resale you will get it back

2001 BMW 330d - looks like a nice car, and plenty power too. Nearly 200bhp i think with probs a lot more torque.

Fabia Vrs are absolutely cracking little cars, i drove one last week and loved every second of it.

Thought they'd be small inside but in the front there's as much room as my A3 so it would be fine for motorway jaunts.

Give one a drive, you wont regret it

Thanks all, I'm going to try a Fabia when I get a minute (and the snow has gone), but I hadn't considered a Leon.
Did I mention that the budget was £8k? I guess I'd be looking at an older Leon and not neccessarily the diesel CupraR version??

You're in the same boat as me, i really like the leons but found it really hard to find a leon with the 130 engine and reasonable miles.

The only ones i did find were priced the same as the golf, which i prefer so i would always have had one of them over it.

The bora's can be cheaper but hard to find a good one.

Have a think about an A3 130 tdi(again priced similar to the golf/leon) An alfa 156 jtd(you know you want to really) and a bmw 320td compact, might have to take a high miler for 8 grand tho

rodenal said:
You're in the same boat as me, i really like the leons but found it really hard to find a leon with the 130 engine and reasonable miles.

The only ones i did find were priced the same as the golf, which i prefer so i would always have had one of them over it.

The bora's can be cheaper but hard to find a good one.

Have a think about an A3 130 tdi(again priced similar to the golf/leon) An alfa 156 jtd(you know you want to really) and a bmw 320td compact, might have to take a high miler for 8 grand tho

Ha! We already have an Alfa in the family and I'd happily have another one (okay Dr. take me back to my cell)!!

I do like the BMW's but it'd need to have sports seats and they're difficult to find (and the mileage is always sky high).

So what have you bought?

Well i had technically bought an A3 tdi, but the guy started to play funny buggers so i walked away.

New plan is to wait until the new reg's come out then im buyin a 53 fabia Vrs, im really really impressed by em :cool:

col6821 said:
Okay, due to household budget constraints it's looking like my S3 will have to be replaced in favour of a cheaper (to buy and to run) diesel.

I'm thinking of (in no particular order)...

2004 Skoda Fabia VRs
2005 Ford Fiesta Zetec - S TDCi
2003 VW Golf GT Tdi PD 130, or 150

Anyone have any recommendations or other alternatives to suggest?

Budget is about £8k by the way.

I was in the same boat wandering what to buy following the sale of my Impreza the other weekend.

The first car I test drove was a 150TDi Golf, It was good but the supension was aweful.

I then happened upon an A3 TDi Sport Quattro and to say I was impressed was an understatement, the golf 130TDi I thinks look terrible.

But the Audi 130TDi is as fast as the diesels of that age went for Audi so I opted for that, plus the fact it looks better and had the Quattro system.

The Quattro system is great and can't recommend it enough. The power is not as good as i want it to be but following a remap it'll be better than the 150TDi.

And as a side note watch out for Crank shaft replacement on the 150TDi Golf, I phoned 2 Golfs for sale up and both had, had this done, which put me off the 150TDi Golf full STOP!

Good luck wih your search :yes:

i'd go for the A3 TDI 130 (bit biased as i've got one though) - very good in standard form and even better after a decent remap, you can expect anywhere between 155 - 185bhp depending on how you want it set up.

Also - might be a bit rude but do you have the specs for your S3? as i'm currently looking to get one in the next few months.

mike

I just purchased a 2002 Seat Leon Cupra TDI 150 and cant believe how much better the fuel economy is compared to my S3.

Diesels have come a long way compared to the loud, smelly older ones. The power is good on the 150 but I am definatly going to get a remap done.

get a good old a3 8l 1.9 pd 130 and map it and it will be as quick as your s3 but cost peanuts to run

aww i really aint starting this again anyone who knows about the torque on a diesel and a few hp less knows a remapped pd is near enough as quick someone help me here!!

wheres smitch when u want him eh?? i can assure you for the 100th time a remapped pd is as fast as an s3

Did they do an anniversary gt tdi!!!????

I must find one

Just found some on ebay, ten grand for a 5 yr old golf with 70-odd thousand miles on the clock

No chance

yeh i think they did mate they did the 1.8 t aswell but 180bhp not 150bhp

Everybody seems to be forgetting that his budget is 8k.

Hard to find a cupra tdi for that money, no chane of 330d's etc.

ess-three i aint paying smitch anything he just has a brain between his ears and knows what an awful lot of torque can do!!! also look at the 1st post about it all and remember alot of people believed me and know what they go like you just think your s3 is a ferrari!!!! im sure someone else will agree with me in a min!!!!

Would every1 please shut the **** up about this s3 v diesel thing, who ****** cares

marka3130 said:
ess-three i aint paying smitch anything he just has a brain between his ears and knows what an awful lot of torque can do!!!

Over about 3000RPM...woopee!
You'll grow up one day...

also look at the 1st post about it all and remember alot of people believed me and know what they go like

I know what they go like...my old man had a Golf with the same engine.

you just think your s3 is a ferrari!!!! im sure someone else will agree with me in a min!!!!

I don't have an S3.
I wouldn't thank you for a Ferrari either...over-rated Italian posers chariots.

Never mind...nice try.
You keep taking the pills, mate.

This subject still got legs i see ...........come on Mark you know the score man the S3 didnt change out of 4th all the way when you were racing each other:lmfao:

marka3130 said:
ess-three i aint paying smitch anything he just has a brain between his ears and knows what an awful lot of torque can do!!! also look at the 1st post about it all and remember alot of people believed me and know what they go like you just think your s3 is a ferrari!!!! im sure someone else will agree with me in a min!!!!

How fast do these TDi's go?? Any proof? :whistle2:

The problem with Golf Anniversaries is that they keep their value very well - artificially high really, for what is a cosmetic tart up job in reality.

But, in saying that, the Mk4 GTI Anniversary is in my mind the prettiest of the Mk3s by a long chalk.
The same was true of the Mk3 Anniversary (which is why I still have my Mk3 16v Anniversary GTI - 1 of 150 ever made in RHD)

You pay more to buy one...but you have a pretty special car...and it's always worth way more than a standard GTI/TD TDI when you come to sell.

Lovely wheels, bulpers etc on the Mk4 Anniversary...and the seats are sublime!