What to look out for what buying a A4

skid9uk

Reaction score
Hi im new here, i currently have a passat 1.9TDI quite tuned, but now i feel i want somthing faster so im going to look at a N reg A4 1.8T sport with 83000miles on the clock. Is there any odvious things i should look for apart from loads of smoke when you boot it?

Thanks

Regular servicing essential as these can suffer oil starvation problems if not properly looked after, Also make sure cam belt done as thats costly to get done, as normal, squeeks and groans as the front suspension can groan a lot when the bushes are worn, and the bushes are part of the arms, so new ars are needed.

Also there should be no hesistaion, and the turbo should be just about audible, but not whistling

clunking/knocking/squeaking front suspension, anything less than perfect tracking, uneven tyre wear, smoking turbo on overun and startup, black oil (old), rusting lock strip on boot, corrosion on rear door sail trim, corrosion around roof bars/ariel

Thanks would you say £1500 is a good price if non of the things you said were wrong? as its only a N plate

Thanks again

For 1500 it had better be full history, and absolutly mint condition, and under 60k or something. thats a lot of money for a 12 year old car

well its not quite 60K more like 80K it has full service history. If you think i could find a better one for the money ill keep looking.

well its up for £1700! but i already know im giving him no more than £1400-£1500. Ill give him a ring later.

Thanks

just make sure you drive it yourself ,then you will get a feel for any problems . be overly critical now, it will save you in the long run. if you are running a passat at the moment you already have a good benchmark to go by.